Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Canada
It would be an easy way of getting files off the tablet to any arbitrary computer. Things like pictures from the camera, or documents. I'd consider using it for that.

web2py is one python web server (easy-as-pie web app framework, really) that runs real well on the tablets out-of-the-box...

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
This is one of those technologies where its "build it and they will come". Personally I like the idea of having ownership of my own materials within my own walled garden of a personal home server. I have never been a huge believer in the cloud.

My vision of the future is more along the lines of a physical home server with a huge fiber style pipe going in and out where I keep my data. I can then pay a Google or Opera to back up my data in the way that I pay a security company to oversee my alarm system, or I can choose to trust my own locks. If I want to share a file with people in the Facebook zone or the Picassa zone I allow them to come and see files which I have tagged as public. If I want to take them down then I simply detag them locally. If I want to become a hermit I simply turn off my server and all of my links to the outside world virtually disappear and I request my backup company to return my property.

Pipe dream at this point but maybe someday, I see open source technology as being a HUGE driver to my vision though.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post

And Opera widgets are utterly useless...
Why would an Opera widget telling you what time it is be more useless than a Gadget telling you what time it is or some other thingamajig telling you what time it is?

Or doing some other thing, such as showing you a calendar or how much processor speed is being used up?

Why are these kinds of things popular since they are utterly useless? Because people are stupid?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Why would an Opera widget telling you what time it is be more useless than a Gadget telling you what time it is or some other thingamajig telling you what time it is?

Or doing some other thing, such as showing you a calendar or how much processor speed is being used up?

Why are these kinds of things popular since they are utterly useless? Because people are stupid?
Because that's all Opera widgets can do - show the time. You can have such widgets everywhere, why in the browser? Sorry, didn't mean that they can't show the time, but that doesn't make them more useful to me.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
This is one of those technologies where its "build it and they will come". Personally I like the idea of having ownership of my own materials within my own walled garden of a personal home server. I have never been a huge believer in the cloud.

My vision of the future is more along the lines of a physical home server with a huge fiber style pipe going in and out where I keep my data. I can then pay a Google or Opera to back up my data in the way that I pay a security company to oversee my alarm system, or I can choose to trust my own locks. If I want to share a file with people in the Facebook zone or the Picassa zone I allow them to come and see files which I have tagged as public. If I want to take them down then I simply detag them locally. If I want to become a hermit I simply turn off my server and all of my links to the outside world virtually disappear and I request my backup company to return my property.

Pipe dream at this point but maybe someday, I see open source technology as being a HUGE driver to my vision though.
See, I'm in some respects similar in mind.

(a) I should own and maintain my own data; leaving only the brokering of that data to other people as a service to be attached to at *my* will

(b) Physical home server, bah. Make it mobile and let me be the one to ensure its safety (of course that means better life insurance for me - and the clan when I do start a family).

If you have a service to share, such as a webcam, a web server can act as a GUI...
What happens when services are simply brokers for the information that we want to provide? When we just want to message, and twitter takes our life feed's 160char title/subject and serves (as a pipe) to others? Instead of the services being the end-points, people are.

That's how I think of mobile web servers... and I think its one of two routes the web and mobile are taking.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'm curious, what is the advantage of having a web server on your mobile device (other than offline browsing or web development)? What advantage is there to this over a client-only setup? Why do you need the two-lane highway?
Couple of ideas:
  • Very easy collaboration with people in the same network (say, wiki you share with people in the same conference)
  • Taking your existing web apps with you (say, having your full blog with you during flights)
  • Using web as an "alternative graphical toolkit"

HTML5 and latest improvements in javascript performance suddenly make the web a quite appealing alternative to "traditional" GUI toolkits even on mobile devices. Palm's WebOS took this route, providing web as the main application programming method and bringing device capabilities there via JS APIs.

Definitely an interesting area that makes sense to experiment with. Especially if you can still use the same data in more traditional apps and toolkits.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
mobiledivide, ARJWright:

You are somewhat naive, if you believe that you can control your data once you start exposing it publicly. The 'Net is swarming with crawlers and indexers and archivers, all recording anything they find.

And as someone who has maintained a home server for well over a decade, I can say that the cloud is a lot more attractive to most people, since there are lots of companies out there who are willing to hold my data with little or no monetary cost to me. These companies have bigger, faster servers with bigger, fatter pipes than I'll ever be able to afford. They also keep backups of everything, so I don't have to remember.

Another thing to remember is that most ISPs' home services have a download speed that is (at least) an order of magnitude faster than the service's upload speed.

Currently, the infrastructure of the 'Net is designed for cloud servers, not home servers. To fight this trend is going to be expensive (paying for static IP and big upload speeds) and/or time consuming (dealing with server crashes, storage upgrades, etc)

(Oh, also, studies have shown that home alarm systems and alarm monitoring companies are a waste of money.)

EDIT: Bergie, I think you're more on the right trail here...

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by qole View Post
mobiledivide, ARJWright:

You are somewhat naive, if you believe that you can control your data once you start exposing it publicly. The 'Net is swarming with crawlers and indexers and archivers, all recording anything they find. <big snip>
I'm not pitching this as an answer; but saying that its an option, and one that users would be suitable to explore. Its true, the current and probably next two planned infrastructres planned for the net aren't made for this. Doesn't make it impossible, just slightly improbable for conventional usages.

If there's anything I've learned about web, mobile, and people in past 3 decades, its that nothing should be counted out until its passed by something else better.

EDIT:
Let me say it like this:

I think that Maemo and every other website that relies on some aspect of community involvement could get a lot out of services like Opera Unite and Google Wave which keep people as the center of the interactions, and merly allow the character of the communities to come out beyond just reading on a browser.

That's not to say that every community needs to be a hoard of application developers, but that those aspects of that communitiy's DNA, should be very present in every interaction that the communities foster. Right now, the web as its constructed doesn't do that. This is an attempt to make that possible.

Last edited by ARJWright; 2009-06-16 at 20:04.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
I think that Maemo and every other website that relies on some aspect of community involvement could get a lot out of services like Opera Unite and Google Wave which keep people as the center of the interactions, and merly allow the character of the communities to come out beyond just reading on a browser.
The division between "local applications" and "the web" is definitely blurring as more and more apps enable some sort of sharing and collaboration, and websites start to resemble applications through AJAX and richer interaction.

However, it is still important for free software to remember open standards and not become fully dependent on company-controlled cloud.

I ran today into Freedesktop.org's Open Collaboration Services API. Maemo would also benefit from integration with such services...