Bet this type of issue has bounced around a lot, but might as well give it a shot .

I've been trying to tether my phone to my n810 so I can get internet access when out and about. I followed all the steps required, pairing the phone, adding the connection settings using the mobile operator setup wizard, but whenever I try to connect I get "Internet Connection Failed"

I have tested this with 2 phones, a Samsumg U600 and a LG KU990 (Viewty). I am in the UK, and currently have a Virgin pay-as-you-go sim. I have been able to browse the internet using both phones' browsers. I have also paired both phones with my macbook pro, and have connected to the internet using the phones DUN via bluetooth.

The mobile wizard did include Virgin ISP GPRS in it's options, and here are the current settings.

Connection Name: Virgin ISP GPRS
Connection Type: Packet Data
Access point name: goto.virginmobile.uk
Dial-up number: *99***1#
User name: user
Password: <blank>

I checked the settings against other sites. Apart from the Dial-up number, all of the settings were correct. It seems weird when that a connection to GPRS does not require a dial-up number, but the n810 requires one anyway!

Whenever I try to connect to the internet using the LG Viewty, I get the "Internet Connection Failed" message after a couple of seconds. With the Samsung, I get a confirmation on the phone "DUN connection with <my n810>? in which I select "Yes", then after a second or two, the "Internet Connection Failed" message comes up again.

Pretty much run out of ideas on why it is failing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I had a similar problem when I had a Viewty.

I can't remember the solution, but it was something to do with the *99***1#

I'm trying to rack my brains now. Maybe the Viewty still had an old connection profile in slot 1 and I had to change the number to *99***2#. Or did I have to use the unadorned number, something like *99*#. Or did I have to delete the incorrect connection profiles from the Viewty's menus, until the correct one was in first place on the Viewty's list?

Anyway it was something like that, and the N810 tethered perfectly once I sorted it out.

Sorry to be so vague, but I'm posting this anyway to give you some ideas.

Regards,
Roger

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Wien , Austria
According to http://www.unlocks.co.uk/gprs_settings.php
you need to set up the Gateway IP:

Operator: - Virgin Mobile
GPRS APN: - goto.virginmobile.uk
Username: - user
Password: - {blank}
Gateway IP: - 193.30.166.3

Note that I may be totally wrong...