Notices

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA, Maine
I am hoping KOffice will be real soon because I don't trust the cloud, so google docs is not an option for me. For now, I use my Mac for this but that won't hold for ever.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by GaryHT627 View Post
I am hoping KOffice will be real soon because I don't trust the cloud, so google docs is not an option for me. For now, I use my Mac for this but that won't hold for ever.
Well, there is always OpenOffice.org from Easy Debian. That is what I use.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2...p-on-the-n900/

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
hi to all, but an office for N900 doesn't exist yet?
is there a working project?
I think OO from debian easy is too heavy for n900 (of course, it's born for a pc, not for a umpc like this nokia device)

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Well, if you are going to use Web Apps, then you could use Google Docs. It works just fine with the built-in browser.
Right, but...I am heavy on PowerPoint and guess what. Majority of presentations I use to handle are around 5 MB. This appears to be a problem for GDocs making my them absolutely unusable in my case. MS or OO is the only way if you do PP. CU o_O

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I advice you to try easy debian and openoffice.org. You can decide if it's usable enough for you. No damage to your device and you can uninstall the packages if you don't like it.
Easy debian will allow you to have a whole lot of new apps - several of them work reasonably well on the tiny display of our devices.

In easy debian, you can install Abiword (word-like) and gnumeric (excel-like) which are much faster than open office and really usable

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I advice you to try easy debian and openoffice.org. You can decide if it's usable enough for you. No damage to your device and you can uninstall the packages if you don't like it.
Easy debian will allow you to have a whole lot of new apps - several of them work reasonably well on the tiny display of our devices.
I prefer to wait a specific version!

Slightly offtopic perhaps, but is there any working, free way of just viewing MS-office doc's on the N900??? Google docs, okay, but uploading docs from your phone just to read them is too much except in real emergencies.

I know of Freoffice but it's on a very early stage, and didn't install for me, complained there were two packages missing, so I decided to wait for it to mature a bit.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
On previous NITs there was the antiword package

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
That might be because MS have a proprietary format!

And this is a problem because?

Tags
skynet beta