Notices

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
okay i've released my official update here: (garage page)
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=1423

it should be better than the previous one misiak did, I noticed the temperature was loosing the "tenths" of a degree when I tried the changes we discussed above. Problem was the variable needed to be a changed to a float instead of an int, and the result of integer division needed to be cast to float as well.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
it should be better than the previous one misiak did, I noticed the temperature was loosing the "tenths" of a degree when I tried the changes we discussed above. Problem was the variable needed to be a changed to a float instead of an int, and the result of integer division needed to be cast to float as well.
Yeah, I was aware of it, but I was too lazy to do it better and didn't want to make more changes in code (changing int to float in few places), it was meant to be just a quick dirty hack for impatient users Thank you very much for your work

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
After like 10 tries, I got the autobuilder to work with Conky when cairo, lua, and everything else is enabled. It wasn't actually that hard, but there were some things I learned I will mention here once in case it helps anyone else.
  • You don't have to be the official maintainer of the package to upload a new version, at least when using the maemo extras assistant. If I knew this 12 months ago, you would have had this a lot sooner
  • You have to have the "build-depends" of the control file absolutely perfect. I guess whatever you list there has to be in the repositories already, meaning if you build some dependant package and don't wait a few hours, it won't work.
  • The build-depends list doesn't seem to work as expected sometimes, I had at least one build fail, but the log showed the wrong timestamps (old) in the environment setup portion of the build where it's supposed to be installing my dependancies. I don't know why, but it seems it decided to skip that. Repeating the wizard fixed it.
  • Emailing the debmaster for help is pointless, I got a reply saying "I'm not the debmaster anymore" and he cc'd someone else who supposedly had taken over the role, and I heard nothing after that.
  • Conky has a build dependancy for tolua++, NOT libtolua++-dev. All the other dependencies (almost) are libXXXX-dev so it's easy to guess wrong. This became a huge problem because the autobuilder is stupid and refused to build a tolua++ package because it thought the -dev package that was already there was somehow the same thing. I had to fake a new version of it to get it to stop rejecting it every time, and is why I contacted the debmaster.
  • tolua++ is built using "scons" instead of "make" or "autotools", this turned out to be no problem. scons is in the repository and auotbuilder can use it fine.
  • autobuilder didn't even bother emailing me the last time, I had to go check the logs manually to see that it finally worked.
Anyways, I don't know how long it takes to show up, but it's coming... (no changes from garage version)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Interesting side-note: I didn't get an email from autobuilder on version 1.1-maemo5 of aircrack-ng that I pushed out earlier today.

Either way, great to see you succeeded in pushing this stuff to the repositories. Massive thank you. (One less .deb file I need to remember to keep on-device for post-reflash installs.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany, near Hamburg
Thanks for the latest update. It starts much quicker now! Why is that?

The Following User Says Thank You to CutterSlade For This Useful Post:
Faster? If you had a really old version I guess there could be a lot of fixes from the master branch that are incorporated, I summarized those in the first post. But, I think we pushed that out around January already. The master branch hasn't changed since then, so all the changes since January are mine, and I think the only thing I fixed was the new power kernel v47 temperature and voltage readings, and getting lua, cairo, and curl enabled. Those should really slow it down if anything :P
Maybe your conf file got updated, or it's not really faster, otherwise I can't explain it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Lol. Reminds me of the CSSU and power-kernel updates. They do very little if anything to optimize speed, and yet every time, people think there's a speediness increase.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Yeah, it's good news for me though. Now I can ignore at least the first two complaints about it being slower

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ The Hague
Conky starts definitely much faster, more like instantaneous!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kcfischer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany, near Hamburg
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
Faster? If you had a really old version...
I double checked and even right after a reboot it starts much quicker than before the update. I looked at my installed versions and I had a 1.6 and the newest 1.9.7 installed. Mabe the recent update fixed some package issues or something. I now deinstalled the 1.6 version. A while back I installed a conf file from extras wich showed more informations so that even the X for closing the app disappeared and the freed space was used for additional information.
But nontheless I used Conky from day one and did from there on many times daily. After camdkey it is my second most used app. So I am really sure that it really got quicker. Just not 100% sure what I had installed before. But I always install any updates.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CutterSlade For This Useful Post:

Tags
conky