Posts: 53 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brooksville, Florida
Noticed there seems to be more people reading this forum than in the #Maemo IRC channel who are interested in having an actually free/open handheld. I suggest we all collaborate on the search... maybe we'll even end up with enough people to have some weight in requests with companies

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23FreeHandheld
Please don't join and leave-- stick around! The channel won't grow big enough for discussions if everyone is only there for a few seconds each!

Last edited by Luke-Jr; 2009-10-01 at 22:08.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Amsterdam
What to you miss in the current ones?

Last edited by keesj; 2009-10-01 at 20:29.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by Luke-Jr View Post
100% Free software handheld
Better yet, how about a 100% software handheld. That way, we don't have to deal with any of this proprietary hardware business. :-X

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Great, how about you guys organize yourselves in off-topic?

keesj: OpenMoko lacks a keyboard and decent specs. OpenPandora doesn't exist yet, and might never at its current rate.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by Luke-Jr View Post
keesj: OpenMoko lacks a keyboard and decent specs. OpenPandora doesn't exist yet, and might never at its current rate.
In case you missed it OpenPandora has set out an email that there's 100 units left for preorder and that they are starting their first batch production run in october 2009 so that is this month

Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
In case you missed it OpenPandora has set out an email that there's 100 units left for preorder and that they are starting their first batch production run in october 2009 so that is this month
With OpenPandora's track record, I think at this point only a fool would pre-order. With the currency changes over the past few years, the original pre-orders will end up paying significantly more than those who order when it's immediately available.

That's a way too generic statement. For myself, as a pre-orderer, I can say that I'll come out ahead by a go bit.

You might wanna take a butchers at Replicant

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Not to mention OpenPandora is not a 100% free handheld. For a start, it has closed OGLES drivers.
But of course you'll at least be able to boot it from battery with only free software.

Tags
alternatives, free software, mer, open source