A few days ago, I clumsily dropped my N900 in a bucket of water. I immediately took it out, dabbed it with towels and immediately took out the battery and dumped the entire apparatus in a container full of rice. I put it in there for an entire 20 hour period and then decided to put in my battery to see if it worked. It would turn on and display the NOKIA screen with the white background and then have the dots appear to mean its loading. But it never loads and it immediately goes blank. I plug it into the wall charger and its picking it up with the orange LED light constantly on. When it is plugged into the charger though, it keeps displaying the Nokia Screen without a white background and it keeps rebooting. Then not seeing my home screen decided that it might still not be dry so I put it in a dehydrator at 120 degrees for 5 hours to dehydrate any water that might still be in it. I put the battery back in to no avail and same future as the one before. Then I decided maybe it is a battery problem or it got shorted so I ordered a new one and it got here finally and I realized it is the same problem as before.

Also, the keyboard back light seems to be shorted because half of it is lit up and half of it is not when I seem to connect it to the battery. Please help my phone, I barely had it for 4 months now and barely got to use it to its full potential.

Glad to read that someone used brain after accident (removing battery, rice, etc) and sad to hear, that device seems to be somehow damaged.

Still, it's a pity that You hadn't googled for "disassembling" video - it's relatively easy process on N900, and separating parts as much as You're willing to disassemble them, would help in drying. Your keyboard leds seems to be somehow affected - personally, I would try full disassembling and covering it with silicon gel (instead of rice - silicon gel is cheap, available in good camera stores, and can be re-used), it's much better @ absorbing humidity (be sure to use air-tight container, or you will absorb humidity from room air, instead of N900). I'm not sure if there is a point to do it after such long time, but even if there are slim chances of it fixing anything now, IMO it's worth a try.

I suppose You were not using backupmenu, so Your only way to go now is flashing (see wiki article reflashing). If that doesn't help, try with R&D mode - maybe watchdogs are kicking in, due to some elements being damaged (leds, led-controller goes berserker?).

And, while we're talking about booting - You mentioned leds, so at least boot is proceeding to the point of loading their drivers. I suppose, that it's doing full initial boot, as You can see five dots. Still, it doesn't mean't that for sure everything will be all-right - You may have, for example, eMMC damaged (thus optfs not present), but for sure You're not screwed totally. Basically, don't get desperate, but also don't get hopes too high.

Good luck and report back, how it goes/ended!

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-11-22 at 02:00.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lima-Peru
Well here is a funny video where you can find a little light at the end of the tunnel =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC9gW3Sfiig

Have my N900 since 2010 and still is my main phone!

I'm Making money viewing Ads Here Now making money to donate to the forum

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
you should never intoduce heat into a wet cell phone there are adhesives that can break down from it ...use a wet dry vac or low pressure compressed air to get the moisture out

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Glad to read that someone used brain after accident
well he did put it in a dehydrator at 120°.

I've never heard of this before but this doesn't actually sounds safe to put a phone in.

@vroom605 i feel sorry for your loss.
i hope flashing will solve your problems!

Originally Posted by Bartcore3 View Post
I hope he's talking about fahrenheit

OT: At first, it looked like your battery was dead, when you drop a device in the water the battery drains instantly, so it could be a boot loop due to lack of power. Odd that it won't boot when on a charger..

I'd go with the plan described above. Try and save whats possible to be left saving Long-term, I guess I must bring you the bad news, because you did not disassemble the entire phone, there is a high percentage chance some humidity was left in there.. If that rusts, game-over (Have had that happen to me too many times)

Last edited by tim_de_wolf; 2011-11-22 at 09:12.

Originally Posted by Bartcore3 View Post

I've never heard of this before but this doesn't actually sounds safe to put a phone in.
Actually, it isn't entirely tragic. Sure, I would not recommend boiling (literally) N900, but there exist high-efficient, "home" methods of fixing certain issues with motherboards (ball-type soldering getting lose on graphic chips) that include putting motherboard into 200 Celsius degrees oven for ~8 min

So, basically, this wasn't most clever thing to do, but could be worse. BTW, I've said that silicon gel can be re-used - after it accumulate hydration, You put it into 120 Celsius degrees owen for 2-3 hours (or, dehydrator ). So, it was basically done, but with N900 instead of silicon gel.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
ahh.. take it apart (youtube it) and clean it all out?? with some alcohol..

Originally Posted by tim_de_wolf View Post
I hope he's talking about fahrenheit

OT: At first, it looked like your battery was dead, when you drop a device in the water the battery drains instantly
Just for the record - it does not. First of all, protecting PCB would kick in. Even more - I've once thrown LI-Po cell - "naked", without any stickers, tape, or protecting PCB - into jar full of water (regular, not destilated). Left overnight, at the morning - after drying it - it got exact same voltage, was not "expanded" etc. Water just got too much resistance, to allow battery + and - to short in such distance @ ~3,7V.

Of course, for micro-sized components inside N900, this looks differently - and possible oxidization looks even worse - so, it's definitely kinda-deadly. But not for battery.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Just for the record - it does not. First of all, protecting PCB would kick in. Even more - I've once thrown LI-Po cell - "naked", without any stickers, tape, or protecting PCB - into jar full of water (regular, not destilated). Left overnight, at the morning - after drying it - it got exact same voltage, was not "expanded" etc. Water just got too much resistance, to allow battery + and - to short in such distance @ ~3,7V.

Of course, for micro-sized components inside N900, this looks differently - and possible oxidization looks even worse - so, it's definitely kinda-deadly. But not for battery.

/Estel
overruling argument =) i just talk out of personal experience

The Following User Says Thank You to tim_de_wolf For This Useful Post: