Notices

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Germany
Hi,
unfortunately my N900s screen is broken (doesn't display anything and doesn't react to touch anymore). The phone itself is still working and I can connect via ssh over wifi. For the time being, I just want to use N900 as an USB UMTS modem. The problem is, that I can not enter PC-Suite Mode when connecting via USB, because the dialog is not visible...

Is there any other way to enter PC-Suite Mode?

I read the Maemo PC Connectivity Tutorial and also the page about USB-Networking but I could not find any hints in there.

Thanks for any help,
velolala

Update: This is solved now, please have a look at #6 and #9.

Last edited by velolala; 2011-10-07 at 15:30. Reason: Tagged as solved

I think you could see the screen on the television using tv-cable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tig3r81 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tig3r81 View Post
I think you could see the screen on the television using tv-cable.
Thanks a lot for your response! I know about that, but then I still can't touch the screen, can I?

One possible solution I could think of is to call the selection binary via ssh-X-forwarding. But since I'm planning to use the modem away from my home wifi, I won't be able to do that every time, or it would be a huge pita...

I hope that there is some /proc or d-bus switch that controls the different modes?

Hey, if I remember correctly, on one of following locations:

/usr/sbin/
/usr/bin/

... is a script or binary, with name corresponding to pc-suite. My unverified guess is that, by invoking this file from x-term You could enter PC-Suite mode, when connected physically via USB cable.

If that is not the case, I'm sorry to say You must wait for someone knowledgeable to enter this thread. I'm 1005 sure it is possible via xTerm.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Or you can attach a mouse and click "PC-Suite" button.

EDIT:
script Estel is talking about is in /usr/sbin and is called oss-usb-mass-storage-enable.sh

You may try to enter pc-suite mode with:

rmmod g_file_storage

modprobe g_nokia

or

insmod /lib/modules/current/g_nokia.ko

if modprobe does not want to insert module

Last edited by freemangordon; 2011-10-01 at 18:12.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
script Estel is talking about is in /usr/sbin and is called oss-usb-mass-storage-enable.sh
I can't find that one on my phone. Anyway...

You may try to enter pc-suite mode with:

rmmod g_file_storage
modprobe g_nokia
with these I'm able to access the usbmoden once again. Thanks so much!

I wrote a script, that does the module manipulation. I will now try to cron that to run every few minutes. That is a quick and dirty solution, but should do the job.

What I didn't found out yet, is how to manipulate the modem settings on the n900 through the command line. Is the selection of 2G/3G switching also done by inserting/removing modules?

(@mod: should I rather open a new thread for this question, because the original one is solved?)

Last edited by velolala; 2011-10-01 at 18:42. Reason: call for moderation

You can try scripts pcsuite-enable.sh and pcsuite-disable.sh (from ke-recv)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by velolala View Post
I can't find that one on my phone. Anyway...

with these I'm able to access the usbmoden once again. Thanks so much!

I wrote a script, that does the module manipulation. I will now try to cron that to run every few minutes. That is a quick and dirty solution, but should do the job.

What I didn't found out yet, is how to manipulate the modem settings on the n900 through the command line. Is the selection of 2G/3G switching also done by inserting/removing modules?

(@mod: should I rather open a new thread for this question, because the original one is solved?)
I think it is some dbus stuff, look in the source code of 2g/3g selection applet(whatever the package name is) on how to do this.

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
I think it is some dbus stuff, look in the source code of 2g/3g selection applet(whatever the package name is) on how to do this.
Why dig in source codes when we got wiki? http://wiki.maemo.org/Phone_control#Radio_mode

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antezz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by antezz View Post
Why dig in source codes when we got wiki? http://wiki.maemo.org/Phone_control#Radio_mode
Thanks a bunch you guys! I had no idea about the Phone_control wiki page. Now I consider my issues as 'solved'.