I will switch if it has easydebian and kindle reader.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
MeeGo's release has very little to do with Nokia's handset.
I was answering to the OP. Who specifically asked for the MeeGo release.

Last edited by vode; 2010-08-09 at 20:22.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by cenwesi View Post
.... They better provide something appealing or else Nokia and Intel are done
I suspect it will take more than a slight mis-step in the mobile devices market to "do" Intel. Nokia will always be able to sell $59.00 mobile phones because they do their phones so well.

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
If Meego has Vsync and 60 FPS in UI .. im switching... :-/ if it doesnt..its Maemo forever... !

I seriously doubt Nokia will release this OS or handset anytime this year. This is the same people that promised us n900 August of last year. We ended up getting it in December if memory serves me right... Anyway the way i look at it is this. If Android 3.0 comes out before Meego or what ever they decide to call it it then, then Meego will not stand a chance. They better provide something appealing or else Nokia and Intel are done
Yes Symbian controlled over 60% of smartphone market in 2008 so Android and iphone where late to announce their OS by ~7 years. Nokias Harmattan\MeeGo coming out 2 weeks late will kill it instantly...
Nokia got huge uphill battle here(that can't achieve same kind of domination as Symbian), but it's not going to be decided by 1-5 weeks release difference.

I don't even know why are really talking about Nokia here as Nokia will release Harmattan/MeeGo that's not even officially MeeGo product this year with a device. All we know that we will see that one device being announced and released this year.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I seriously doubt Nokia will release this OS or handset anytime this year.
Note that MeeGo is on a fixed 6 month cadence, so it will never be a question whether it will be released or not. It's literally the same logic that Ubuntu follows, even the months of the releases are the same

This is the same people that promised us n900 August of last year. We ended up getting it in December if memory serves me right...
I don't know the problem, but smells of logistics (the N900s at the Summit which was earlt October had release level hardware and just one week older firmware than the one that got released in the end).

Anyway the way i look at it is this. If Android 3.0 comes out before Meego or what ever they decide to call it it then, then Meego will not stand a chance. They better provide something appealing or else Nokia and Intel are done
FWIW MeeGo as such is already out. Just as 1.1 will be. Just as Android 3.0 will be. People are not interested in the software release as a general concept, but usable firmwares that run their devices, and the two are different topics. Just as FroYo was released two and half months ago and still represents just a minuscule percentage of Android devices sold, so will 3.0 be interesting only if you look far into 2011.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
FWIW MeeGo as such is already out. Just as 1.1 will be. Just as Android 3.0 will be. People are not interested in the software release as a general concept, but usable firmwares that run their devices, and the two are different topics. Just as FroYo was released two and half months ago and still represents just a minuscule percentage of Android devices sold, so will 3.0 be interesting only if you look far into 2011.
So the question actually becomes:

Will the first devices of MeeGo (in 2011) be as feature-full/fluid/mature as similar devices with Android 3.0.

I'm not talking about number of apps... Android started with a handful when iPhone had millions and it still picked up. I'm talking OS. And of course, the only viable answer to that question is "Wait and See."

That, and personal preference.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

I think Meego has a serious shot at taking on android and Iphone.

But only..........

If Nokia and Intel get behind the OS and show some real commitment and support.

Can't really speak for Intel, but Nokia seem to suffer from a short term attention span. They launch a product or os, get all hyped up about then change tack entirely and leave the end user wondering why they bothered.

If meego is to be all it can Nokia is going to have to run with it and STICK with it through thick and thin and not go off on a tangent with a "new, improved" os idea 12 months later.

The Following User Says Thank You to n900faniam For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by n900faniam View Post
would be pretty gutting if they don't make the os available to n900 users. If they don't these handsets are as good as dead in the water.
Is this true? My phone will just stop working when Nokia release Meego? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to wizbowes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
MeeGo test images are now available for the N900 - see here for details. Weekly code-drops are planned for the future that will include closed binaries - right now many applications are just place holders.

Testing MeeGo on N900 is quite simple - copy the uncompressed RAW filesystem image to a 2GB+ microSD card using dd on Linux, then copy (NOT flash) a temporary kernel to the N900 using Flasher in order to boot MeeGo from the microSD card.

Reboot the N900 to get back to Maemo5.

Install instructions here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:

Tags
i want my, time back