Active Topics

Hello, I've recently opened a new request in maemo.org community brainstorm.
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...mplementation/

Please vote for it if you think that this feature is needed in new versions of maemo.

Thank you all!

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Hi kkito. Thanks for your interest in improving gaming on Maemo.

Please read and follow the Brainstorm instructions so that your Brainstorm can be considered.

You might also consider giving some specific examples that don't work now that would with HW OpenAL. While i'm familiar with the library, i'm not aware of situations where the absence of it has been a problem. Are you?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
There's not even interest in an OpenAL HW implementation for desktop GNU/Linux (not even Creative card owners seem to have complained!), and the DSP is not used in the N900 for audio, so this is pretty much.. impossible.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Hi kkito. Thanks for your interest in improving gaming on Maemo.

Please read and follow the Brainstorm instructions so that your Brainstorm can be considered.

You might also consider giving some specific examples that don't work now that would with HW OpenAL. While i'm familiar with the library, i'm not aware of situations where the absence of it has been a problem. Are you?
Hello, "OpenAL is a cross-platform 3D audio API appropriate for use with gaming applications and many other types of audio applications." There isn't nothing like this in maemo. I think that openAL is important for game development because is a simple and powerful library for 3D audio.

Others SDK's like trhe iphoneOS SDK or Android SDK has it by default....

If nokia wants to improve the game development on the platform i think that is mandatory to support OpenAL.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
There's not even interest in an OpenAL HW implementation for desktop GNU/Linux (not even Creative card owners seem to have complained!), and the DSP is not used in the N900 for audio, so this is pretty much.. impossible.
Desktop linux and linux embedded are different things. There are other linux embedded platforms that supports it. Anyway, if nokia supports openal-software in maemo should be "ok".

Originally Posted by kkito View Post
There are other linux embedded platforms that supports it.
Please list them. Android doesn't (unless you have proof). So far, all can I see is Android does not have support for OpenAL at this time.

Also I don't think the iPhone OpenAL is HW-accelerated (since no one does it. Apple doesn't even do it for Macs).

It is one of my "life-longs wishes" to make a desktop OpenAL HW someday (at least for emu10k1 cards).

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-02-01 at 16:19.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Thread moved to Brainstorm as author seems to have some trouble with English.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Thread moved to Brainstorm as author seems to have some trouble with English.
? I know that my english is not good...

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Please list them. Android doesn't (unless you have proof). So far, all can I see is Android does not have support for OpenAL at this time.

Also I don't think the iPhone OpenAL is HW-accelerated (since no one does it. Apple doesn't even do it for Macs).

It is one of my "life-longs wishes" to make a desktop OpenAL HW someday (at least for emu10k1 cards).
Anyways, I don't understand why Nokia doesn't support OpenAL in Maemo. OpenAL(soft) builds and run fine with pulseaudio backend without any modification (in maemo Fremantle). Then, support it should not be hard...

The Following User Says Thank You to kkito For This Useful Post:
I agree! It 's very important to have openAL on maemo to create games!

Originally Posted by dridk View Post
I agree! It 's very important to have openAL on maemo to create games!
Indeed! The only existing Qt based game ecosystem (Gluon) also depends on it.... Kinda impossible to ship it with OpenAL for the meegathon or on mobile in general!

(On a unrelated note, Google has selected OpenSL ES as their game audio API)

OpenAL Soft pretty much works on the N900 as is.