Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Didn't Jolla ship about a thousand prototype samples?
yes but
1) there was a claim about certain improvements in this model
2) I'd accept jolla tablet as a sample only if I produced them myself and know all the strong and weak sides of it

so to me it's a bit odd to see entire campaign is close to delivery phase with only rendered images. What if frame will be creaking with new polymer type?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
If production is dependent on higher Order count, IMO you should have set your funding goal accordingly, or at the very least mention this obstacle beforehand!
I think Chen has already answered that in his post. The important part is "no longer" :
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
It's getting close to end of year industry is getting full powered it's no longer possible doing batch of 1000 any more.
So I would understand that as the funding goal and quantity were in accordance to what was possible to do at the time, but right now, due to end of year coming, the companies are privileging high orders count as there is more work than they can do.

Then, about the question if that should have been anticipated (if it is exceptional or like this every year), I don't know enough of that business to know... Maybe they expected to go before this, and got some delays...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
or wait until the Christmas rush is over and factories are prepared to handle an order of 1000 again
Which by itself looks like a huge risk that by then other thing won't be in supply anymore...

BTW, thank you chen for the update.
Even bad news is still better than silence.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
This should certainly come as no surprise. Low Order numbers were to be expected, no? Your funding goal was achieved even with just 800pcs, so you should be prepared to realize the campaign with that. If production is dependent on higher Order count, IMO you should have set your funding goal accordingly, or at the very least mention this obstacle beforehand! Even if you expected more pieces ordered, surely that Information ("we're not going to produce batches under 3000") would have been easy to obtain *before* you started telling everyone that this is a sure thing.
Just want to stress again that Chen is not the person behind the Youyota tablet. He's helping, but is not responsible for it. Please don't start staining Livermorium's reputation before it does anything wrong (and the Youyota is not even a failure yet), exactly when it actually needs the opposite before trying to make a new difficult and unique device that *will* need to be produced and sold in larger quantities.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
I think Chen has already answered that in his post. The important part is "no longer" :
So I would understand that as the funding goal and quantity were in accordance to what was possible to do at the time, but right now, due to end of year coming, the companies are privileging high orders count as there is more work than they can do.

Then, about the question if that should have been anticipated (if it is exceptional or like this every year), I don't know enough of that business to know... Maybe they expected to go before this, and got some delays...
Wait, was the end of year not coming when the campaign started?

To me this sounds like an unpredicted shift in priorities on the supplier's side.

This can happen, of course, but there's usually a reason for it.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Of course there is a reason. Manufacturers and suppliers want to maximise their profits and running small batches may not be the most efficient way to run the production line. So, if capacity is in high demand, they may have restrictions on minimum batch size that changes when demand changes. In this case it looks like unpredictable change as one clearly cannot fully trust the information given at the time of initial query being accurate at the time of placing the actual order.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
I'm pretty sure the time frame was to be expected, as - like the funding goal - it was set by the campaigners. They choose when the campaign will be closed, right? And announcements about ETA were there from the Start. The fact that this stage of the campaign would come around this time of the year (which still has more than three months) was entirely predictable.
That's why I believe this explanation is an excuse and not the real reason.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Just want to stress again that Chen is not the person behind the Youyota tablet. He's helping, but is not responsible for it.
He says that all the time, but I've never even heard of the other guy who is supposedly in charge. At least on TMO, Chen is the public face of Youyota and that's that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I'm pretty sure the time frame was to be expected, as - like the funding goal - it was set by the campaigners. They choose when the campaign will be closed, right?
Right. They did not choose when they received the money though. IIRC, Chen kept posting "not received yet" for at least four weeks. Is there a big difference between placing the order to the factory in August and in September? Maybe.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
In this case it looks like unpredictable change as one clearly cannot fully trust the information given at the time of initial query being accurate at the time of placing the actual order.
Why the hell not? You're making it sound like basically all business is ********. If that was the case, one also clearly cannot fully trust any Information given by the campaigners.
However, what I'm saying here has nothing to do with Livermorium.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os