Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
Candidates, What is your main phone now and over years?
Presently a Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.0.1 and the Nokia Z Launcher. Before that, a BlackBerry Z10 running 10.2.1. Before that, a Nokia N9 running MeeGo.

I'm sure there was a phone in the mix that I forgot, but not an iPhone - I've not had one since the 3GS and have never went back. I think there were a couple of Android phones, but they were ROM'd immediately and usually overclocked to avoid the inevitable Android lag.

maybe adding short answers to questions on wiki page will help members to decide who to vote for...
I keep forgetting about that.

My favorite Maemo device... Nokia N810 bar none. Maemo 4 was great, totally tweakable and cemented my experience with these Internet devices. Perfect size, great screen resolution, iffy resistive input (sorry, but that was a sticking point for me), a stylus that actually was usable and above all... a kickstand that had great angles.

If only Nokia could only avoid doing the stop/restart cycle with Maemo. It was annoying. New Maemo always meant a new device whereas iOS and even Android was update-able.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Candidates, What is your main phone now and over years ?
My main (and only) phone is the N900. I have 3 of them and plan to keep and use them for as long as they continue to work.

I still have my E70, E71 and E75, all working fine (except the E70's joystick).

I even have my old Siemens ME45 (my second GSM phone, works OK, but key labels are not readable anymore).

The only one missing is the Alcatel Onetouch Easy (my first GSM phone), which I still have but doesn't work anymore.

Add.: $DEITY forgive me. I forgot the Nokia 6800, which came between the ME45 and the E70. Best keyboard ever (5 rows!). Unfortunately it got lost.

Last edited by reinob; 2014-12-23 at 13:13.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Maemo Council meeting for tonight is cancelled due to councillors being engaged in SantaClaus business and related activities.

* for those not in the know, tomorrow's Christmas eve.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What's your attitude towards the role of Council in the Maemo Community e.V.?
It's far too complicated. No need to dumb it down though.
Let's just assume the average reader will be able to grasp it, ok?
A dumbed down version would be fine for me though.
I'd need this info in order to place my vote, esp. since I nominated you.
Current Maemo Community Council member

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
Let's just assume the average reader will be able to grasp it, ok?
A dumbed down version would be fine for me though.
I'd need this info in order to place my vote, esp. since I nominated you.
I think you misunderstood what I meant. It's not that my grasp of the interactions between the council and its role in the Maemo Community eV are too complicated to explain to the layman; I feel that it's far too complicated at the moment.

Not that the layers - General Assembly, Board, Council, et al - aren't necessary, but the bylaws and how things are structured seem to create enough confusion where I'd like to think there's steps to make things a bit more transparent, easy to understand and some good ideas/voices more heard. As it stands, it still seems to be a slight disconnect.

Perhaps my current grasp is too limited - very well may be. But I feel as if there's a schism between the community, which appoints the council, which has a negative connotation unfortunately at the moment due to many factors that are ultimately leading to blame and disenfranchisement that just don't need to exist. And/or systems are needed in place to point out the bad seed(s), disassociate themselves, reignite community faith and keep things clear.

To me, the interactions are as clear as mud. There's no need for that; not for something like this.

And that's what I mean by things being too complicated. It's layer upon layer of legalese, movement, discussion and despite some of it being shown, it's not collected in a manner that everybody in this forum follows or in some cases, know where to look.

Communication is a problem. That's where I think clarification and simplification should come into play.

Okay... now I'm rambling. Things could be simpler. That's the takeaway. How? I'm up for discussion. How the council is currently regarded, I'd say it's pretty damn negative. People like woody14619 stick out in my head as straight-shooters that got buried under a pile of politics and self-serving agendas while being rather honest and transparent with the community.

That's what needs to happen. More of that, less politics and less layers where folks with ulterior motives can hide.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Not that the layers - General Assembly, Board, Council, et al - aren't necessary, but the bylaws and how things are structured seem to create enough confusion where I'd like to think there's steps to make things a bit more transparent, easy to understand and some good ideas/voices more heard. As it stands, it still seems to be a slight disconnect.
Ok, thanks for clarification.
And I think you're absolutely right. Especially at the time MC eV got established, things (incl. communication) went far from perfect.
Anyway, good ideas/voices of course are always welcome.

I feel as if there's a schism between the community, which appoints the council, which has a negative connotation unfortunately at the moment due to many factors that are ultimately leading to blame and disenfranchisement that just don't need to exist. And/or systems are needed in place to point out the bad seed(s), disassociate themselves, reignite community faith and keep things clear.
Very well said. Again, good ideas/voices of course are always welcome.

It's layer upon layer of legalese, movement, discussion and despite some of it being shown, it's not collected in a manner that everybody in this forum follows or in some cases, know where to look.
The layers of legalese (Bylaws, General Regulations and Board Regulations) basically were put in order to simplify adjustments to less important parts (and those not required by law). Every desired change of bylaws means holding a General Assembly, file the amendment to court, pay fees and wait for approval. Only then they're effective...

For all sorts of questions regarding the Maemo Community e.V., please visit this thread.

But yes, communication could use some improvement.
Thing is... I'm quite alone out here, defending and trying to get some positive recognition for the whole thing.
To bundle movement and discussion, we may use the talk part of the wiki page?

...being rather honest and transparent with the community.
That's what needs to happen. More of that, less politics and less layers where folks with ulterior motives can hide.
+1

And we need to trust our directors. Just like they trust us by showing legally responsible for this awesome community.
Nevertheless, if they screw up, reelections can be triggered by the regular members anytime
(in other words: no need for red button as requested by some).

Last edited by Win7Mac; 2014-12-23 at 21:20.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Maemo Council meeting for tonight is cancelled due to councillors being engaged in SantaClaus business and related activities.
That's lucky. I am not in the Council yet, but I thought how nice it would be to take part in the Council meetings now that I am a candidate. The trouble is - I tried and failed. For two reasons.

Reason One: try as I might, I just cannot find the time. My job requires a lot of commuting and when I eventually do get home, the last thing on my mind is doing anything that requires more cranial activity than watching Family Guy and do the occasional post on TMO.

Reason Two: I have ever used IRC before. My only exposure to IRC is XChat, the IRC client on the N900. And I found it terribly confusing. I mean, I tried to make some heads and tails out of it but failed miserably. I know this is a lame excuse in the days of search engines to find answers and desktop IRC clients with perhaps less confusing UI but, combined with Reason One above, I just can't find the strength to fire up a big PC and do the homework.

Those two things combined made me realize that I may not be able to commit as much attention to regular Council meetings as may be required

Then along came Win7Mac with his questions for the candidates. That was a wake up call and I realized a few more things, started with the fact that I do not really have a defined plan or strategy of what I want to achieve as a Councilor. I accepted the candidacy with the "I will do what is needed" attitude, but somehow I feel that is not enough.

Consequently, I hereby announce my intention to step down as a candidate for the Q4 2014 Council election. It seemed like a good idea at the time but I see now that it is not going to work and I think it is better to admit it now than to get elected and become awkward later.

An announcement to the Maemo mailing list will follow when I get to it.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That's lucky. I am not in the Council yet, but I thought how nice it would be to take part in the Council meetings now that I am a candidate. The trouble is - I tried and failed. For two reasons.

Reason One: try as I might, I just cannot find the time. My job requires a lot of commuting and when I eventually do get home, the last thing on my mind is doing anything that requires more cranial activity than watching Family Guy and do the occasional post on TMO.

Reason Two: I have ever used IRC before. My only exposure to IRC is XChat, the IRC client on the N900. And I found it terribly confusing. I mean, I tried to make some heads and tails out of it but failed miserably. I know this is a lame excuse in the days of search engines to find answers and desktop IRC clients with perhaps less confusing UI but, combined with Reason One above, I just can't find the strength to fire up a big PC and do the homework.

Those two things combined made me realize that I may not be able to commit as much attention to regular Council meetings as may be required

Then along came Win7Mac with his questions for the candidates. That was a wake up call and I realized a few more things, started with the fact that I do not really have a defined plan or strategy of what I want to achieve as a Councilor. I accepted the candidacy with the "I will do what is needed" attitude, but somehow I feel that is not enough.

Consequently, I hereby announce my intention to step down as a candidate for the Q4 2014 Council election. It seemed like a good idea at the time but I see now that it is not going to work and I think it is better to admit it now than to get elected and become awkward later.

An announcement to the Maemo mailing list will follow when I get to it.
Quick reply...

I do have a lack of time. I am not sure I get enough sleep - I wake up with alarm, not before it.

I do not watch TV. It may be a matter of taste (I doubt that current movies are anything like White Fang), or just the black-and-white text-bubble I create around myself.

I am, somewhat, addicted to TMO and IRC. My IRC client (one and only) is Chatzilla. Yes, both on desktop and N900, even though on N900 it's not exactly finger-friendly.

I do not have a plan or strategy. I have my opinions, and my worldview, and that helps, but I do not define goals beforehand.

My aims are scattered across the wind (seriously, what kind of person decides to buy 100 pieces of microUSB for N900, instead of just one? just because of huge shipping cost, and strange-shape of most microUSB on EBay?).

At the very least, I would like to see more coding competitions, and continuing development and support for all devices and platforms.

Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

[Edit]
Whether you are running for Council or not; before, during, or after elections; you are welcome to #maemo and #maemo-meeting. There are other ways, too, such as email, to get in contact with the Community Council.
[/Edit]

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2014-12-24 at 23:55.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
@pichlo, I really hope you wouldn't do that as proper attitude and good will is more important than technicalities of the meetings.

IRC is chosen as the prime comms channel as it is very useful for realtime conversations, but Council also has mailing list to discuss things with.

besides, the meeting times can be adjusted so that they suit most of the councillors, the current tue/20:00utc is just one possibility.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
HtheB:
VOTE FOR MEEEEEEE
Probably if you care to provide some answer to the questions put here...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, happy new year