Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Hello, for the past few weeks i've ben working on a successer of easy-debian since qole is soon going to close the progect, i decided to make a "rebuild" of qole's chroot scripts witch is aimed at making the task of running remote applications as simple, fast and, efficient as possible allong with packing several useful features such as Claunch, (an applications that works with cdeb2.sh and capp, a small script similar to cuser and qole's debbie script) to allow you to simply type the app name in and launch it in seconds. (currently it only runs applications as user but i will hpfully be able to impliment a root option soon.) Also, i've changed some options so you will now have the option to change user permissions of the shell (as root or user) through the config file.

Included in cdeb2:

* Claunch » a small app that allows you to run apps fast and quickly without having to open a shell window.

* Terminal options » select if you wish to open Cdeb2 in xterm or roxterm; (if installed), within the config file.

* Image mount support » allows you to eather mount a image or a partition if specied in the config file.

* Auto fsck » checks the rootfs for damage (if specified).

* User/Root shell support » gives you the option to run the chroot shell as user or root.

* Cdeb2.conf restore support » if you delete your cdeb2.conf file, cdeb2 will automaticly make a new file in it's place while leaving your settings in tact.

How to use»

Step 1 ~ setting up cdeb2

Simply untar it as if you were installing easy-debian.

Step 2 ~ configuation

Here's how the config file is set up; an example from my config file.

MOUNT=/dev/mmcblk0p2 «- your partition (if you use a partition)
CHROOTDIR=/mnt/deblet «- your mount directory
FSTYPE=ext3 «- your filesystem type
TMPSIZE=4M «- your tmpfs size (if you use large apps)
USER=/home/user «- your user directory (for your chroot os)
USERNAME=user «- your user name (for capp and cuser)
SHELL_PERM=root «- allows the cdeb2 shell to use root or user permissions.
OSNAME=deblet «- your os name
TERMINAL=xterm «- terminal that cdeb2 will launch in. ( Xterm or Roxterm)

MOUNT_IMGFILE=no «- if you use an image file
IMGFILE=n/a «- your image name

FSCK=yes «- run fsck on startup or not
SYNK=no «- synk the os or not
AUTO_UMOUNT=yes «- automaticly unmount the os after you exit or not

STARTUP_NOTIFY=yes «- if you want to run the startup window on startup

STARTUP_SOUND=yes «- if you want linus.wav at startup or not

Step 3 ~ basic usage:

* If you wish to run a single app as user using Claunch (iceweasel as an example)

Option 1
In a terminal type:
capp iceweasel

Option 2
Go into your extras menu and click on claunch and type your app's name after "APP=".

* If you want to run the cdeb2 shell (user or root).

Option 1
in a terminal run cdeb2, if you want to open a new window, or cdeb2.sh, if you want to run cdeb2 in the current window

Option 2
go into your extras menu and tap on cdeb2.

Things i am working on:

* Hostwin support (for acsess to your desktop)

* Hildon-input method support (so you can use maemo's keyboard with remote apps)

* Desktop file configuration (allows you to easly make desktop files for apps from a diolog window)

You can download it here, if you have questions or you want to contribute, fell free to ask questions or provide suggestions.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Last edited by b-man; 2008-09-26 at 22:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post: