Notices

This problem is probably because I misuse the alarms, I don't have an organized schedule so I set an alarm at a different time every time I go to sleep with 'New alarm' (sometimes even multiple alarms at a time), and don't used the previously used alarms, the now the list contains hundreds of alarms, and the Clock application takes about 10 seconds or more to start, and is slow to operate, and I think that's the reason.
Has anyone faced a similar problem?

And anyway is there a way that I let it stop saving each alarm, or a way to clear the whole list every now and then (automatically or manually) without going through each alarm?
I know it sound kinda stupid, but I'm checking anyway

The Following User Says Thank You to enceladus47 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Uhm.. If you select an alarm, one of the options is to delete it. And/or re-program it to another (future) time...

Ya I guess re-programming the last alarm will prevent the list from expanding, but is there a way to delete previous alarms without deleting each at a time?

every time you set a new alarm edit the previous one and delete one alarm!! it'll get fine
DOC here..

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
remove /var/cache/alarmd/alarm_queue.ini and /var/cache/alarmd/alarm_queue.ini.back files and restart the phone
this will remove all alarms, but including calendar ones

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CepiPerez For This Useful Post:
Thanks CepiPerez, that did the trick, and the clock opens much faster now

Thanks. The same solution could solve a System Event Scheduler problem:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=49008

The Following User Says Thank You to LQW77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 227 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Lyon, France
Same problem: I have 241 alarms (according to "/var/cache/alarmd/alarm_queue.ini") and Clock takes about 8 seconds to start (BTW, this is bug 10707). I initially thought that the long list was just the history, in part because it is unsorted and there are many duplicates. I hadn't found until now a faster way to delete them than doing that one by one with the Clock UI.

Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
remove /var/cache/alarmd/alarm_queue.ini and /var/cache/alarmd/alarm_queue.ini.back files and restart the phone
Thanks, I've now removed the alarms and Clock now starts almost immediately. I hope there will be a better way (I mean, without restarting the phone) in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to vinc17 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vinc17 View Post
I hope there will be a better way (I mean, without restarting the phone) in the future.
I've just done the following, and it seemed to work:
  • (fire up an xterm, and gain root)
  • /etc/init.d/alarmd stop
  • vim /var/cache/alarmd/alarm_queue.ini
  • (delete all but the first few ini entries)
  • /etc/init.d/alarmd start
  • (launch clock)

This let me zap all but my most recent few alarms, without needing to reboot, and whilst still delivering a much quicker clock startup.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gagravarr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Pardon the necromancer-like reply, but as this thread contains vital information, I saw no real reason to create a new one for the same topic.

Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
I was looking through the alarm_queue.ini, initially afraid of removing all my calendar alarms.

The alarms listed in this file have an alarm_appid, which in my file is either worldclock_alarmd_id, Calendar or modest.

I began searching from the top of the file with "calendar" and "modest", and found that I have no such occurences within the first 3397 rows, so I deleted most of them, save for some of the highest up occurences. Some worldclock_alarm_id occurences were seemingly left at the end of the file as well, but I decided to let them live.
After that I performed these two commands gagravarr instructed:
  • /etc/init.d/alarmd stop
  • /etc/init.d/alarmd start

Now I have merely 6 alarms on the list, and the clock app starts in under 2 secs \o/

Would it be possible to create a script of some sort, that cleans this file of most (fixed number, all, dunno?) alarm occurences with alarm_appid: worldclock_alarmd_id?

EDIT:
It seems that the only consistent difference (excluding cookie and trigger as these are unique for each occurence) between listed active and inactive clock alarms are these flags:
Active alarms have flags: 136240
Inactive alarms have flags: 793648

Thus, as an occurence begins with [ and ends right before the next [, is it possible to code a thingy that goes through alarm_queue.ini and removes occurences which include alarm_appid: worldclock_alarmd_id and flags: 793648?
I don't have the knowledge to do so...

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 2011-04-12 at 10:55.