Originally Posted by slender View Post
Hmm. I think that N900 should be treated more or less as computer. I still have my 5 years old laptop and pentium 4 desktop machine and they still make everything that i ask from them. Actually after browser speed race they have become more useful to me.

Maybe we are just different breed :P

.edit
Before this I had Nokia 6021 which doesn't have GPS, Camera, mp3 player. Had that for about 4 years and still happy with it. Actually it's much much faster as phone than my N900 :P
I agree. I had a Nokia 4100 (one of the best phones I've ever had, actually) for 4 years, then an old HTC Hermes for a year (got it free when my brother upgraded). The N900 is the first time I've ever early-adopted a phone, because I felt, as you do, that as a linux machine it would have an indefinite useful life, and I'll be seriously disappointed if Nokia tries to actively obsolete it.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Trying to catch up with this long thread, sorry if this has been commented already.

Originally Posted by range View Post
Okay, that sucks, especially if you *have* to use non restricting licenses in userland, as that means that you cannot port loads of applications which are under the GPL. I f I don't misread that, that is not a smart move.
The MeeGo project itself will offer a set of reference applications for vendors and whoever interested that by default will have a permissive license. This is not to stop any short term adoption because of vendors reluctant to take any initial compromise with open source related matters.

It might be that some of these reference apps maintained have copyleft licenses. And definitely users and anybody creating MeeGo variants will be absolutely free to have applications of whatever license, including of course GPL.

I you don't have the permissive license apps then don't touch them. Most probably there will be alternatives available.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
UNBIASED THOUGHT'S ON THE SITUATION: I WON the N900 and didn't pay for it like the rest of you guys. have post same thoughts on other threads i know sorry.

nokia could release MeeGo for the n900 and ill pay for it. not a problem.

the N910 will be very appealing as it would support multitouch and other features. what are they worried about?????? no1 in Australia even has the n900 except for a very small group of people. not sold here. i doubt it would impact their sales if they release MeeGo for the n900 as the n910 is a more appealing device anyway and a lot of people will probably sell their n900 for the n910 which would be a better phone. who knows i might get the n910 if its any good with a multitouch resistive screen, oo nice.

this is all about looking after us. apple still support the first gen iphone with the latest OS. Microsoft sell OS upgrades but nokia is still lagging behind. this would probably create more business for nokia if they upgraded their OS for older phones for free or for a fee.

think about it. if they don't release it for the n900 even though most apps will run on QT it will just put people off the way we get shelved by nokia. If nokia do deiced to change the way they do things it would be good business move overall, it would create immense loyalty and support towards nokia. even if they just rename the OS's on all the phones to the same as an example, its all marketing which makes nokia look appealing in the public eye. But nokia is bad at marketing which is why Not many people bought this amazing phone or even know about it and is why the app store is empty for now. every god dam second person i see everywhere has an iphone trying to show me something cheasy it can do.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44926

look at the poll on my thread. 25% of people said "If there is No support for MeeGo on the N900 ill never want to own a nokia again"

this is not because we cant run the same apps as the N910 running MeeGo will have but its the fact that nokia continually shelves their phones and drops support. the only reason why i stay with nokia is because they are innovative and create high quality high end phones (not since the N95). one day another vendor will take over and nokia will suffer. trust me the day will come, the market is changing so fast. look at what the iphone did out of nowhere. nokia keep changing and changing and never perfects an OS ,service, Device or market them properly. look at the iphones apps store, you have to admit its impressive with the amount of variety. this is all because they played it smart, market properly (brainwashed but hey it worked lol) and unified everything.

i'm not saying the iphone is better. but the general public, like joe down the road get put off by nokia. there is not much support. nokia need to unify everything to get customer confidence to buy the device. its all marketing. we know the nokia n900 is an amazing machine but the average joe doesn't, they still see the iphone as a better device. imagine me trying to explain to a 14 year old girl who owns a iphone what QT is?. remember the N93i??? that was an amazing device but its full Potential was never reached because nokia kept moving on trying to play catch up in the very wrong way, just pumping phones out and dropping all the support asap. the N93i could of been huge if it was sold by apple but nokia screwed it again and now it will die in a museum just like the n900. Even the bluddy N95's potential was never reached, it sold well because of the hardware aspects no other phone offered, but how many 3D games did you play on it the average joe could buy??? NONE and now nokia is NOT the hardware leader anymore and might never be again the way things are looking!! what a waste of amazing hardware let down by CRAPPY software and support.

even if the n900 runs the latest MeeGo OS from now and to the future i will still want to upgrade my device. maybe i want a thinner phone? or multitouch? see what i mean. everyone is supported and everyone is happy no complaining. Love for nokia will grow and hate for apple will grow from their shitty closed OS lol. Nokia could do some damage, they have a full open universe what are they doing????, the average joe doesn't even know or understand how huge this is. maemo is even more open then android. nokia show the word the potential of what can be done!!!!!!!!!

nokia is a ferrari driving 10m/h and never opening its full potential while a ford fiesta (iphone) is destroying the better more advanced phones.

the funny thing is, my dumb iphone user friends tried to convince me the iphone is better. they done understand what multitasking, opensource arrararararraraa is. see these are the kinds of people who buy phones. not many knowledgeable people out there, but those simple people make company's like Apple super powers and in turn creates a whole new universe IE: heaps of bluddy apps on cydia and the app store.

NOKIA HAS TO CHANGE OR BECOME THE BIGGEST LOSER

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
the Intel/Moblin team is expected to manage the core/kernel development and support of the potentially largest(-shipping) platform of ARM-based mobile devices![/I]
The Intel team has kernel developers. So does the Nokia team. And other teams related to chipset vendors with kernel developers that (you bet?) will show up near or inside MeGo sooner or later.

Nokia is bringing plenty of core and middleware developers, and Intel is bringing UI framework developers as well.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
This is off-topic, but nevertheless...

Originally Posted by eikido View Post
Will QT apps run on Android if a library or something is installed? I don't think i need to mention closedPhone (maybe if you jailbreak it or something...).
http://www.newlc.com/node/23522

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
qgil a question lots of theme makers are wondering, What UI will Meego be using. If we are ditching Hildon I would like to have advance notice so I can't start learning now system for themes.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
qgil a question lots of theme makers are wondering, What UI will Meego be using. If we are ditching Hildon I would like to have advance notice so I can't start learning now system for themes.
MeeGo does not dictate which UI should be used, although there may be some UI framework hooks:

http://www.nokia.com/NOKIA_COM_1/Tec...hite_paper.pdf

Presumably, each manufacturer is free to choose their own UI/theming:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=79

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
I'm also waiting for more detailed architecture information to be published at meego.com, so your question and other similar about other parts of the architecture are solved.

In any case it won't be Hildon since the UI framework will be based on Qt.

Of course it's all open source, so if any vendor wants to use Hildon they are free to do it. Nokia won't and Intel never did and they are investing in the Qt based UI framework as well.

Said that... it is better to make these questions at meego-dev.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Of course it's all open source, so if any vendor wants to use Hildon they are free to do it. Nokia won't and Intel never did
Moblin v1 did have Hildon actually, see the announcement in maemo-developers (in hindsight that was quite the historical moment!), and the corresponding trees are still avaiiable under http://git.moblin.org/ :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Nokia is bringing plenty of core and middleware developers, and Intel is bringing UI framework developers as well.
Hopefully we get some of them involved RSN. The current community is fairly biased towards Intel employees and Maemo community folks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war