Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Maruzko View Post
Hello Crashdamage,
Please elaborate on why never 'another Android phone' ?
Would like to hear from another N900 user, as I've never used Android myself.
Try Nitdroid. Although not fully functional (yet) it should give you a pretty clear idea of the +/- in relation to Maemo 5.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

I have an android device as well. n900 is still better for my use case because of deeply integrated sip and xmpp. There are 'apps' you can get for android to do these things, but it is kludgy to make them always on and automatically reconnect over different methods(wifi/3g/2.5g)

FWIW, the best apps i found for this in android world are Beem for xmpp and sipdroid for sip.

the n900 also still has it beat for file access across the device. Again there are 'apps' you can install to manage files in areas android doesn't want you to and to make the browser download some types of files you are not supposed to, but again kludgy, IMO. Then again I use my n900 more like a laptop than a phone.

Also, android does not have as complete of an implementation of a syncml client as syncevolution. It does do better on Activesync though than n900.

The highly sturated color screen and capacitive touch makes my kids love the android device though

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
I have an android device as well. n900 is still better for my use case because of deeply integrated sip and xmpp. There are 'apps' you can get for android to do these things, but it is kludgy to make them always on and automatically reconnect over different methods(wifi/3g/2.5g)

FWIW, the best apps i found for this in android world are Beem for xmpp and sipdroid for sip.

the n900 also still has it beat for file access across the device. Again there are 'apps' you can install to manage files in areas android doesn't want you to and to make the browser download some types of files you are not supposed to, but again kludgy, IMO. Then again I use my n900 more like a laptop than a phone.

Also, android does not have as complete of an implementation of a syncml client as syncevolution. It does do better on Activesync though than n900.

The highly sturated color screen and capacitive touch makes my kids love the android device though
Sounds like my choice to buy the N900 over the Milestone/Droid was the better option.
I will may try NITdroid when it gets easier to install, even if its just for the Andriod games.
Thanx.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
All the posts from people selling their N900's can appear a little B1tchy but think about it. They bought into this phone for some amount of cash. Nokia made an absolute fortune then kinda sat back.

This may not be the case but the level of follow up in ovi etc...(where retail users look for apps etc...) is rubbish and suggests they are not bothering. Even the best voice guided nav app costs more than a symbian nokia phone to activate

Again... I love the phone... I love the concept... It does what I want it to do better than the other options. Nevertheless. £500!!! Nokia hyped it. I bought it. They went to the bank and left the heroes around here to mop it up.
lol, brilliant

I woke up this morning, got myself my phone and checked messages, email, logged onto a website and decided to see if there were any apps on the application manager to improve my device.

After about 30 seconds I was very frustrated by the choppy performance. The device was periodically hanging asking me if I wanted to force close apps. This is pretty much standard usage for me and unfortunately also a standard experience. I made up my mind to sell the device and buy the HTC desire.

I am very disappointed in Nokia. They released a wonderful device which has fostered a wonderful open source community that I was looking forward to being part of. Nokia then turned their back on the N900 (it still doesn't have support on the ovi site) which is shameful given this is supposed to be their flagship device.

Maemo doesn't compare favourably to Android in my opinion. I was also looking forward to the freshness that may have been injected by MeeGo. But this has been dropped too.

In today's smartphone environment your device is defined by the quality of the apps available for it. Maemo is sorely lacking here and has been left in the dust of Android and iPhone(ugh).

Maemo provides full root acess to the device which makes it a portable linux computer which I love. We have a HTC Nexus device for research purposes in work which we rooted the other day. We now have full access to the device. Another plus in favour of moving.

If you're still with me, thanks for reading. I am asking if anyone can dispute my thought process and give me a good reason to stay with the N900?

If not, does anyone want to buy my device off me? I am asking here first because at least I know it will get a loving home.

The Following User Says Thank You to misterfitzy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
Bluetooth sync??
I sync my n900 contacts with my e63 so this one is on your new phone
I exported all of my contacts into my n900 main memory and memory card, its obviously limited exporting contacts from n900 to sim specially merged contacts and additional fields such as address sim card will not read so its useless sometimes.

sorry for my english
tanx

Originally Posted by torres76 View Post
Lol ok everyone. its funny how nearly every thread on here is either asking for apps to be made or problems to be solved, so yeah you stick with your perfect n900.
Do you know how long it would take to search the web for something to do in your area or outside let alone if you had a poor signal, i think it is a case of having your eyes wide shut.
Setting my n900 to 3G only it takes 3 to 5s at 1 bar 3.5G in 6/7flr. touch search do the job search anything is at 1 click

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Acctually.. i have not noticed to much threads about missing apps. Just general requests of more apps.. not what app they need. I for instance don't miss so much apps for the n900. What is the point of having 1000 apps that all genrally do the same thing?

all phones have problems and bugs..

I guess your camera is not so good on that one?
correct! desktop experience in terms of net browsing on mobile is the most important for me.

try to visit facebook on android hehe even android tab facebook will render mobile site!