Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
No smartphone is launched fully featured but I don't think any phone has launched with so many bugs.
What I remember about my first experiences with N9 two years ago: N9 PR1.0 had much more bugs than Jolla and PR1.1 was a huge improvement over PR1.0.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kein View Post
Actually Jolla is only sending out 400 unit a day. It has been reported that Jolla has about 100 staff in Finland so all hands available would mean 4 units per person per day. Btw, they don't work on Sat and Sun.
Based on what reads on the papers in the international shipments it seems that DHL Supply Chain is actually packing and providing the packages to FedEx. It might be that Jolla is still flashing the phones or they have also outsourced that to DHL Supply Chain.

The picture provided by Jolla is probably about sailors flashing the first 450 phones sold at Helsinki Narinkkatori to the first preorderers.

Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Connection to wifi with a smartphone? Who's not expecting that?
WLAN works for me. You are using "edge" case of WLAN. If I remember correctly N900 and/or N9 didn't also support your case at the beginning.

Originally Posted by att View Post
What I remember about my first experiences with N9 two years ago: N9 PR1.0 had much more bugs than Jolla and PR1.1 was a huge improvement over PR1.0.
My N9 was highly usable with PR 1.0. After I updated to PR1.1 I barely noticed the difference.

Originally Posted by att View Post
WLAN works for me. You are using "edge" case of WLAN.
WPA EAP is a standard, broadly used and nothing new.

If I remember correctly N900 and/or N9 didn't also support your case at the beginning.
It's not like it's neccesary to inventing the wheel from scratch for every new device ... wpa_supplicant + clients (wicd,networkmanager) already support it out of the box.
And also not to make the same mistakes Nokia made in the past (now they're more or less non-existant, guess why)

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Joensuu, Finland
I'd say WPA-PEAP isn't an "edge" case of WLAN, even if a minority case. It's quite common in academic (eduroam, more than 5000 networks in 54 countries) and corporate settings. Anyhow, as far as I understand, connman and wpa_supplicant both support WPA-PEAP, so it should be no more than a UI issue.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
No smartphone is launched fully featured but I don't think any phone has launched with so many bugs. Jolla customers are paying real money to be beta testers and to top it off the company doesn't appear to take bugs seriously enough to start a bug tracker. Even an offer to start a bugzilla for Jolla was met with the response "we have no time to read it" which borders on arrogance.
This is becoming hyperbolic. Android, Windows Phone and iOS all launched with major bugs and missing features.

Jolla is a tiny company who are being honest about their bug tracking limitations and they're being attacked for that. I would rather them tell me the truth than have them put up a false facade.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Ergonomocs: well IMO they are not too great actually ... I love the rounded feeling of an N900 or 808, Pre 3. This square phone trend looks nice but is not too comfortable to hold and will undoubtedly later be classified amongst weird 1980's designs when new technologies arrives and telephones are no longer display centric.]
Yes, exactly what I was thinking. The rounded shape of the Pre 3 or N9 really make a difference to everyday use.

And after nearly two years with an N9 the biggest adjustment for me is moving from mostly one handed use to almost always needing both hands.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuarty For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jsiren View Post
I'd say WPA-PEAP isn't an "edge" case of WLAN, even if a minority case. It's quite common in academic (eduroam, more than 5000 networks in 54 countries) and corporate settings. Anyhow, as far as I understand, connman and wpa_supplicant both support WPA-PEAP, so it should be no more than a UI issue.
Yes, I know very well. I have used eduroam and I have been a very little piece of building it.

I still consider WPA-PEAP an edge case for "normal" people.

Last edited by att; 2013-12-18 at 14:34.

My N9 was highly usable with PR 1.0. After I updated to PR1.1 I barely noticed the difference.
We obviously then used different feature sets

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience