Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
=Thoke;1403821
paranoia?
Yes, paranoia.

Makes no difference where the HQ of the OEM is located. Manufacturing will be done in a country even more of a police state than USA (China).

And whatever you the USA based OEM had (tinfoil mode) planned, it could be wiped anyway easily. And as soon as you go on-line, you're free meat for the NSA anyway. Irrespective of where the engineers who designed your memcard had their passport.

Basically what Im saying: Memcard design location is the least of your problems if your you're worried about NSA. We're all screwed anyway. There's nothing that you can do to stop the American empire, if it takes an interest in you. So, just buy the cheapest memory card.

Last edited by Rauha; 2014-01-04 at 23:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by rentze View Post
After a couple of weeks of using the Jolla as my main phone, here are some new observations.

In the beginning I thought there were only minor glitches, but this is apparently not the case, at least from my experience. I see some people here have been struggling with WiFi in different flavors. Same here. Depending on the security settings of the hot spot at hand, the WiFi connection breaks randomly, and sometimes even a restart is required to get it to work again. I don't know if I'm the only one (or the first one ), bur I've experienced similar problems with Internet over 3G. From time to time, the phone was ending up in a loop of activating and deactivating data, where only a reboot would help. All this has been happening very often -- multiple times a day, to say the least. I really hope this gets fixed soon, because such basic features should work flawlessly. This should definitely be Jolla's top priority for the next update.

If we put the bugs aside, the phone is what I was hoping it would be. Some people here might disagree, but I dare say Alien Dalvik is one of its coolest features. It's so nice we don't have to trade the awesome UI, proper multitasking and full "linuxness" for the lack of undoubtedly useful, ubiquitous and mature Android apps. I didn't believe they could make it this good from day one, it really kicks a55 and will definitely help Jolla sell this thingy to the masses. Now I'm pretty sure they'll find their niche and survive on the market -- no doubt they deserve it.

P. S. I'm already so used to the Jolla's gestures that I'm constantly trying them out on other touch screens around.
that last part applies to me too after using N9 and now Jolla using buttons feels like something from 10 years ago, it just feels unnatural.

Apart that yes there are some annoyances. I'll be going back to uni on Monday and I know I'll have issues connecting to the eduroam network.

BUT what I do love is the new together platform and I feel like I can contribute and actually work on shaping the OS and that is the sort of freedom that no other phone company can give you.

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ switzerland
I have a strange issue i am unable to solve. it don't remind it being pointed out in this thread.

I have some files with accent characters in their name, like é è à â, and the like.

Problem is those chars are displayed as white diamond shapes with ? inside. i am aware it is a locale issue, but am unable to pinpoint the sourceand solve this.
Also, i can't manage the files properly. like i can't delete or rename them.

I have the same when i connect via ssh on the phone, also in media app and also in my ftp android client, in gallery app, videos with accent are shown as "Oops, cannot display thumbnail"

I already checked my locale.conf file and set all as en_GB.UTF8

Did someone experience the same and can provide advice?

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
... I did not had to do any mounting operations from command line - all content was recognized automatically by Sailfish programs within few minutes after installing sd card to Jolla (for sd card install / removal I do not power off Jolla). ...
For someone it works, others don't. I have now tested FAT32 and Btrfs and I have to use the symlinks, who knows why? This is not a big issue, easy to do, but I was expecting something else...

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
And whatever you the USA based OEM had (tinfoil mode) planned, it could be wiped anyway easily.
No, not necessarily, I'm afraid ... On Hacking MicroSD Cards

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rentze View Post

If we put the bugs aside, the phone is what I was hoping it would be. Some people here might disagree, but I dare say Alien Dalvik is one of its coolest features. It's so nice we don't have to trade the awesome UI, proper multitasking and full "linuxness" for the lack of undoubtedly useful, ubiquitous and mature Android apps. I didn't believe they could make it this good from day one, it really kicks a55 and will definitely help Jolla sell this thingy to the masses. Now I'm pretty sure they'll find their niche and survive on the market -- no doubt they deserve it.
You really think Jolla is going to survive because of ability to run Android apps? It hasn't helped BB10. Why would users buy a Jolla phone to run Android apps? To me, Jolla can only survive if it has a pool of unique native apps. But as the Jolla team has done almost nothing to promote native app development and is even hampering it with an incomplete SDK and no support for paid apps its chance of survival is close to zero.

...and will definitely help Jolla sell this thingy to the masses.
Sorry, the masses are not interested in a Jolla phone now. The market for Sailfish is a few thousand geeks, MeeGo enthusiasts and patriotic Finns and there isn't an endless supply of them.

Last edited by SamGan; 2014-01-05 at 04:29.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by strongm View Post

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Yes, paranoia.

Makes no difference where the HQ of the OEM is located. Manufacturing will be done in a country even more of a police state than USA (China).

And whatever you the USA based OEM had (tinfoil mode) planned, it could be wiped anyway easily. And as soon as you go on-line, you're free meat for the NSA anyway. Irrespective of where the engineers who designed your memcard had their passport.

Basically what Im saying: Memcard design location is the least of your problems if your you're worried about NSA. We're all screwed anyway. There's nothing that you can do to stop the American empire, if it takes an interest in you. So, just buy the cheapest memory card.
No, not necessarily, I'm afraid ... On Hacking MicroSD Cards
In that case, let my boycotting of an US-originated company be a way for me to be heard by politicians and companies in USA. Even though my privacy wouldn't get any better directly by this decision, a chance of positive impact for user privacy and electronic security is possible... if enough people boycott them. It all starts from supply/demand. Currently no company can fill a demand for secure electronic communications device/accessory, and companies in USA couldn't fill it even if they wanted to if they remain based in USA, due to legislation there.

And wow, security really sucks in electronic devices. Big time. I should boycott everything, but that's not currently possible.

Last edited by Thoke; 2014-01-05 at 09:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
Erlier in this thread, att said :

In Terminal app run commands:

cd
ln -s /run/user/100000/media/sdcard .

(Notice the dot at the end of ln) After that you can access the microSD card with USB MTP (Jolla's normal PC connectivity) by going to directory "sdcard".
I tried (including the dot). Still does not show in Windows 7, tried both - 32 and 64 bit.

Last edited by Silwer; 2014-01-05 at 11:07.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Did you put space before the dot? Don't know if it's important but the original command has it.

Also, could it be possible that the sdcard folder is hidden so it could only be accessed by typing computer\Sailfish\sdcard in the filebrowser's address bar? A long shot but maybe worth a try.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
I tried (including the dot). Still does not show in Windows 7, tried both - 32 and 64 bit.
Command creates a symlink to /home/nemo/ folder and when connected to computer you can see the sdcard similar to Documents and Pictures etc.

Works nicely with Ubuntu Linux machine.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience