disaster... a friend of mine managed to spill a full jug of heineken on my n900 on my stag party, it still turns on after drying out. but its got the strangest collection of problems:

- Camera app wont start 'operation failed'
- File manager crashes
- never finds any wireless connections
- when shut down the phone seems to display the nokia logo with no backlight.
- the ear speaker doesnt work on phone calls, but speaker mode does.
- cant 'sudo gainroot' anymore, it just hangs
- massive graphical glitches are intermittant (mostly when plugged into usb)
- ugh and its soo sticky behing the keyboard.

luckily i never cancelled the 'opt-out' phone insurance so i can get it sorted through them, tho im gunna have to do without my phone for a while

the biggest problem might be the power kernel etc that i have installed, im worried the problems with file manager etc are a indication that a flash chip is dead and if i reflash it, it might fail half way through.

any advice on restoring factory settings, removing multiboot etc are welcome but ill use search etc ofc but since im having trouble removing any applications etc im worried that i wont be able to reflash at all, plus i dont really want to leave all my apps on there tbh.

EDIT: managed to re-flash fine using this guide: Windows n900 reflashing guide
all issues still the same tho so its deffo hardware.

anyone had problems with warranty / insurance repairs and custom kernels etc?

Last edited by mrexcess; 2011-05-21 at 22:12.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I broke the usb port of my phone once...
And my phone was even overclocked, but I still got a replacement (got a new N900)

So don't worry about it

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by mrexcess View Post
disaster... a friend of mine managed to spill a full jug of heineken on my n900 on my stag party, it still turns on after drying out. but its got the strangest collection of problems:

- File manager crashes

luckily i never cancelled the 'opt-out' phone insurance so i can get it sorted through them, tho im gunna have to do without my phone for a while

the biggest problem might be the power kernel etc that i have installed, im worried the problems with file manager etc are a indication that a flash chip is dead and if i reflash it, it might fail half way through.

any advice on restoring factory settings, removing multiboot etc are welcome but ill use search etc ofc but since im having trouble removing any applications etc im worried that i wont be able to reflash at all, plus i dont really want to leave all my apps on there tbh.

That scared the **** out of me because last saturday I spilled a stella artois chopp and while my cellphone was full of beer, it had the sylicone cover and didn't happened anything.

Poor you, OP.

ovi suite wont connect no matter what i do, so i cant sync my contacts etc.

No connections are working either so i cant use the google contacts exchange trick either

People BACK UP!! cant believe i left it as a 'ill get roud to it' job, a recent backup with backupmenu would have made alot of this easier.
(well the restoring to the repaired device anyway)

Last edited by mrexcess; 2011-05-20 at 16:14.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Palo Alto, CA
Collegue poured (actually spilled) his beer on mine. It works, but will not charge the battery

Posts: 518 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ italy
Originally Posted by mrexcess View Post

- File manager crashes
- massive graphical glitches are intermittant (mostly when plugged into usb)

EDIT: managed to re-flash fine using this guide: Windows n900 reflashing guide
all issues still the same tho so its deffo hardware.

????????? switch off the phone! open it, and put all the parts on a big jar of rice (covered)! the rice absorbs the liquids don't keep it on, switch it off you can burn some internal components!

change the rice every day, when it'll be dry, then u can switch it on again after u assembled again the parts.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Austria
Try to insert an SD-CArd so you can make a backup to the card and then your contacts and masseges should be in a safe place.
If you buy a big one, you can save you photo/video collection to
Best Regards
The Unit247

its because you all drink lausy beers!
if you spill Guiness on a N900 it will transform into a N9!

Disclaimer: Dont try this at home!(or anywhere else)

Last edited by ironm8; 2011-05-22 at 18:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ironm8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 518 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ italy
Originally Posted by Unit247 View Post
Try to insert an SD-CArd so you can make a backup to the card and then your contacts and masseges should be in a safe place.
If you buy a big one, you can save you photo/video collection to
Best Regards
The Unit247
Are you crazy ?

Dont do that! do what i wrote! u can burn internal parts. Switch off the phone and dry it as i said

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
and i dropped my phone on the ground today (no cover!) and i scratched the bezel pretty bad. not good days for the n900

Tags
drunk n900 :(