Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Can't we move to 1G RAM as on N9? desktop software needs a lot.
Depends on what SoC we can source. Not every valid combination of CPU and OneNAND PoP is readily available in low quantities. The higher the number of produced devices, the more likely we can source exactly the SoC we want to use. TI will not even pick up the phone when you call for quantities of 500 OMAP SoC, and with other suppliers it's not much different. So in the end you need to take what you can get.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-08-26 at 13:08.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the plan for sourcing the N900 components? I guess places like ebay/gumtree would be options of course but prices do vary being auction sites. Or are there any stock piles that I am not aware of?

May be a Donation drive for anyone with "Retired" or broken n900s could help with the cause? It would help to minimise the overall cost if we could gather a parts pool. (I would be happy to donate my spare unit)
We don't know of secret stocks. So yes, in the end it's just ebay et al.
Sure we happily will collect donations of spare / defect N900, even parts. But till now most of the parts are still easily available on free market - which is where this project came from.

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
fast board layout wish list
1-charging pads for attaching inductive or other chargers/power supplies without requiring the USB smart negotiatiation pins

2-super big USB port pads, through hole anchors, or drop in replaceabl USB similar to speakers or 3.5mm audio jack

3-extra USB ports on the board for future add ons, since you havde a SM assembly fab in .de add ons could be made later to solder down

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
fast board layout wish list
1-charging pads for attaching inductive or other chargers/power supplies without requiring the USB smart negotiatiation pins

2-super big USB port pads, through hole anchors, or drop in replaceabl USB similar to speakers or 3.5mm audio jack

3-extra USB ports on the board for future add ons, since you havde a SM assembly fab in .de add ons could be made later to solder down
full ack for 1, 2
a huge *maybe* for 3

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Can I ask, why the "low" specs?

If such a project is possible, can't something more modern be adopted?
Eg/ 1.5GHz Dualcore S4 PRO with Adreno 320 gpu
Eg/ 64bit 2.0GHz Quadcore A57-1.0GHz Quadcore A53 with Mali-T658 gpu

And if its not possible to stray too far from 1GHz Cortex A8 SoC's... can this be merit for a low cost NeoN900 ?

Cheers.

I'm flattered

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Lovely idea but for me it's too expensive for too little of a hardware upgrade (although I understand the problems in getting something better in such small amounts) but for 700 it's just a low benefit-cost ratio in my opinion. I'll still vote but for a more realistic amount I'm sure I'd be happy to pay without this initial euphoria letting me cloud my judgment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MONVMENTVM For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Can I ask, why the "low" specs?

If such a project is possible, can't something more modern be adopted?
Eg/ 1.5GHz Dualcore S4 PRO with Adreno 320 gpu
Eg/ 64bit 2.0GHz Quadcore A57-1.0GHz Quadcore A53 with Mali-T658 gpu

And if its not possible to stray too far from 1GHz Cortex A8 SoC's... can this be merit for a low cost NeoN900 ?

Cheers.
If you know about an PCB with this parametrs, with dimensions optimal for N900 case, and with as awesome community as Openmoko has, let us know. :P

However you can hope, that GTA05 will be N900 case compatible and with Octocore CPU and Nvidia shield GPU.
And with price under $1000.

#lexik

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lexik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
What about re-designing the BeagleBone Black into a functional mobile phone considering it's open-hardware and similair to OMAP(am3559). It's amazing how many OS's can be run. Adding peripherals wouldn't be that difficult as there's the great amount of I/O pins that can be used.

I have one and must say this is the only board that is fully open-source both hardware and software. The PCB design etc. are all hosted by Texas Instruments.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ariadeno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 94 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK LONDON
Very nice thread. I choose 500.....I hope this Neo will be nice looking as the n900.
what about external memory support? will it be the same as the n900 right?

ps. gotta change the avatar in neo900 very soon
next: neo900

Android/iOS developer
ready for maemo coding competition 2016!

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM View Post
Lovely idea but for me it's too expensive for too little of a hardware upgrade (although I understand the problems in getting something better in such small amounts) but for 700 it's just a low benefit-cost ratio in my opinion. I'll still vote but for a more realistic amount I'm sure I'd be happy to pay without this initial euphoria letting me cloud my judgment.
There are more reasons, not just HW upgrade. If you are "normal user", you probably dont want that. However if you are geek, you will probably prefer this instead of Jolla or any Android phone.

If you think, the N900 is the only usable phone today - because of Maemo, HWKB and lots of more things (as me) you will buy it, or you will be sad you cant.

The HW improvement is not big, but it is next step. If you want something more powerful than GTA04, you have to make this step.

#lexik

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to lexik For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!