Active Topics

I have to admit, I'm reminded of my first ever linux installation ... I tried every linux version I could find on a system with an unsupported SiS video chipset. It took me several tries before I realized that I needed to stick with a pure text installation, and completely skip anything and everything gooey (GUI). Nothing more fun than being a blind software developer.

Then ... using rpm to upgrade ... worked fine until rpm was snuck into the long list of what was going to be upgraded. You can guess what happened. Rpm failed to upgrade. Being that it was using shared libraries, and some of those libraries were upgraded and some weren't, I couldn't run the rpm from my cd, or the one that I had downloaded. Nothing would compile. Stayed that way for years because it was my main firewall/gateway and still functioned as such. Just couldn't upgrade or downgrade, or install or uninstall anything at all. And guess what... it's still running RH 7.0. A system crash finally forced me to figure out how to manually downgrade the system from the broken 7.1. And it still has no gooey GUI.

Now I am quite ubuntu-prone.

Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
This how-to so needs to be updated. I have once installed Ubuntu by following these instruction, result was: wrong stylus driver (stuck pressed), no Wlan PowerSave, no n810 hw-keyboard, no usable system. Gnome never started up. I had to install a huge bunch of software from Mer repo to get all the n8x0 specific features to work correctly.

I haven't now installed ubuntu for a month or so, i am totally bored with ugly and slow Gnome.

This howto really is "left behind"
So ... here now, I've got xubuntu installed on my n810. I'm able to log in because I changed my password to one with no numbers. The mouse pointer doesn't much care what my stylus is doing. And none of the icons seem to function.

But with a little patience, and very slowly dragging the stylus the wrong way, I am able to reach and activate the Icons at the top of the login screen before logging in and run the terminal. I thought that was awesome, until I tried modifying the system. Can't use cd to get to /etc because the / character is not accessible. Can't use ifconfig to set the ip address of wlan0 because the numbers are not accessible.

At least now I can access the Reboot icon and not have to pop the battery ...

And I think I figured out what's causing the boot from flash to fail. It seems it works fine if you use the button in the middle of the cursor pad to activate the flash option. But if you use the enter key, it says it's going to boot, and then power-cycles.

I guess I need to give it a rest for a while.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Yes, you're missing ITEM_LINUXRC="linuxrc", you have to reinstall all over. Where did you pick up the item without this? :P
I've flashed that into my initrc ... But I don't see that it has made any difference to the system.

I'm sure it's probably needed, I just don't know what for.

I would like to add a big thank you to all here who's input helped me get jaunty onto my n810. I am really please to have it even if it ain't gooey. I've always been partial to the cli anyway.

Makes me wish I could just run the Maemo GUI and apps ove the jaunty base system ...

I was trying Mer, but it also seems to be problematically slow, and sparse.

Maybe b-man will strike again..

Anyways, thank you very much b-man for the howto for the jaunty cli.

:-)

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by swajime View Post

Maybe b-man will strike again..
I'm still here but i mostly now hang out on #maemo & #mer on IRC. - if you need advice, ask me there
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Hi,

I just installed sys-env-x,ubuntu-desktop and tablet-gdm-autologin on my n800...
I don't know how nor why, but somehow I gave gdm-autologin not my correct loginnick. So I have to change it somehow (the one of the autologin or the one of ubuntu).. But I don't know how....
Thanks
dustXman

Hi!
Does anyone have a copy of http://www.bman.maemobox.org/project...2.2_rootfs.tgz ???
Since maemobox.org is down it's impossible to install bman's Ubuntu :-(

Hi ..

I have the same problem . bman.maemobox is down , so it is impossible to download this file ...

PLZ if someone can put valid link i would apreciatte it a lot ... !!!

Thanks

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alexbad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by Locutus73 View Post
Hi!
Does anyone have a copy of http://www.bman.maemobox.org/project...2.2_rootfs.tgz ???
Since maemobox.org is down it's impossible to install bman's Ubuntu :-(

Originally Posted by golvellius View Post
Hi ..

I have the same problem . bman.maemobox is down , so it is impossible to download this file ...

PLZ if someone can put valid link i would apreciatte it a lot ... !!!

Thanks
Hello

i am currently moving all of the ubuntu-n8x0 stuff to http://b-man.xceleo.org. The repository can be found here: http://b-man.xceleo.org/repo/ubuntu-n8x0/

btw, my tablet is currently being repaired and it may take a week or two to get it back so i won't be very active here ( i'm not very active here anyhow ) or on IRC for a while.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Code:
mkdir -p /mnt/jaunty

insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/`uname -r`/mbcache.ko
insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/`uname -r`/ext2.ko
insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/`uname -r`/jbd.ko
insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/`uname -r`/ext3.ko

mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/jaunty -o noatime
Pretty sure it should be:

Code:
mkdir -p /mnt/jaunty

insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/`uname -r`/mbcache.ko
insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/`uname -r`/ext2.ko
insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/`uname -r`/jbd.ko
insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/`uname -r`/ext3.ko

mount /dev/mmcblk0p3 /mnt/jaunty -o noatime
As mmcblk0p2 is the swap partition...

Also, when installing sys-env-x, I'm getting a hell of a lot of 404s... have a lot of things moved?

Last edited by Cadabena; 2009-07-13 at 11:38.

Tags
gnome, kde, ubuntu