Active Topics

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
Hej!

Here's something i've been brainstorming for a while. I read alot on the n900 (websites and articles, that is). I often find myself discovering interesting articles while I'm browsing on my desktop. They usually sit a few days in my browser tabs until I finally manage to read them, or just decide to close the tab because I forgot what it was about.

If there was an easy way to send links from my desktop to the n900, it would be a blessing for me.

I can't be *rsed to type in every link by hand on the n900. Sending links via email is still unacceptable because I don't want my inbox cluttered with emails I sent to myself. Any ideas if there is a simple, elegant solution for this? Any workarounds or exploits that would do the trick?

I am using Opera 10 on Win7. How can I easily send URLs from my desktop pc to the N900?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to quingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 164 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bucks, UK
I agree, would be good if you could send a bookmark of some sort

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Install mBarcode on N900 (and, not necessary, qrcode plugin for it)
Install Mobile Barcoder extension in Firefox on PC
Now N900's camera can read barcode of the web-page from your PC's screen and turn it into URL to open in N900's browser.
EDIT: Use QR Code, not Data Matrix.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 135 | Thanked: 158 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Moin.

Opera Link

http://www.opera.com/link/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superjunior For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by superjunior View Post
Moin.
Opera Link

http://www.opera.com/link/
Firefox Sync

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/sync/

P.S. I don't use it because I don't like cloud.

EDIT: You use Opera. Then, instead of Mobile Barcoder extension:

Hey everyone, I just put together this trick for generating QR codes in Opera Desktop. Useful for sending links to your QR reading phone and such.

Anyway, just go to Menu > Settings > Preferences

Click on the Search tab and add a new search engine.

Then fill out the different fields accordingly:

Name: QR Generator
Keyword: qr
Address: http://qrcode.kaywa.com/img.php?s=8&d=%s

The rest should be blank and make sure "Use POST" is unchecked.

Save it, then just "search" a URL using the new entry in the search bar. A white page with your QR code in the middle should appear.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=7457059

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2010-08-15 at 11:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Thanks for all contributions!
But, no cigar yet! I'm not happy with the proposed workflows.

I've been googling for hours now. I've checked out RememberTheMilk (which basically works). Problem: You cannot copy anything out of the n900 app. Plus it doesn't give you clickable links.

Evernote / Qvernote (n900) looks overkill for the job, too.

Now here would have been the perfect candidate: Sabifoo
A service that lets you IM a note (or a link) and archives it to an RSS feed. Sadly, that service was closed down.

Now that would have been the perfect workflow. Copy link, paste to icq and send, check rss feed on n900.

Let's see what else is out there.

The Following User Says Thank You to quingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by quingu View Post
Problem: You cannot copy anything out of the n900 app. Plus it doesn't give you clickable links.

Let's see what else is out there.
MBarcode app for N900 would allow you to copy the link.
Plus, with QRCode plugin for MBarcode, you would have button which would open the link in MicroB browser of N900.

Have you tried to create QR Code search engine in Opera? It would turn a link into QR Code, which could be read by N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Wikiwide, yes, I know about MBarcode because I regularily use it. I just hate the workflow for simple link pasting. It's too much effort!

Now here is a solution I just found that kinda works for me: http://www.mmmmail.com/

You send an email with your links - said content appears in an RSS feed.

All you have to do is write an email on your desktop. IMHO this beats having to generate a QR Code and photographing said code for every link you want to send.

The Following User Says Thank You to quingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit
I have been trying to think a solution for this too. I did not like the idea of sending data through a browser -privacy, delay..

I was thinking of creating a firefox plugin which will be present in the right click menu. it should connect via ssh to the destination device and send selected text data to n900 's clipboard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vabgeo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by quingu View Post
Wikiwide, yes, I know about MBarcode because I regularily use it. I just hate the workflow for simple link pasting. It's too much effort!

Now here is a solution I just found that kinda works for me: http://www.mmmmail.com/

You send an email with your links - said content appears in an RSS feed.

All you have to do is write an email on your desktop. IMHO this beats having to generate a QR Code and photographing said code for every link you want to send.
Well...

For many links...

You would need something generating QR Code for all links at once, not for each link separately, and QR Code Reader allowing you to open all these links in different tabs/windows.

I'm glad you have found this solution. You want to send a link - you have Internet - using cloud isn't a problem for you - it's the most comfortable way for you.

But (just an analogy) I don't like sending files through cloud just because Linux and Windows can hardly live in one LAN without making havoc with file permissions. And I would prefer to communicate information from PC to N900 by bar-code.

Everybody has his own way. Congratulate you on finding your solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: