Active Topics

Hi guys, I was just ran into an issue with the hotspot. I have downloaded spotOn to unlock hotspot availability in the US and also tried ad-hac. However, when i was trying to use it just now, it does successfully set up a network but with no data transfers (upload/download both at 0) and I cannot find the network with either my laptop or my tablet.

It is not an issue with not being able to use the feature, but rather it simply does not work. Does anyone else face a similar situation? Is there a fix to it? I am using T-Mobile BTW.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Can you stop spamming? I've seen you post in two threads and now you have started your own thread...Just stick to one thread instead of cross-posting...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Sorry. I realized I posted my original thread in general, which is probably not the right category since my issue is solely N9 related and decided to repost here.

Update: I think it might have to do T-Mobile now enforcing customers to pay for Hotspot for an additional $15. Ridiculous BS. Can anyone confirm this?

Originally Posted by allenchuang View Post
Update: I think it might have to do T-Mobile now enforcing customers to pay for Hotspot for an additional $15. Ridiculous BS. Can anyone confirm this?
I'm not in the US but can someone explain how would your carrier know you are using WiFi Hotspot especially on an unsupported phone like the n9?

I in the US and am on T-Mobile and can right this moment use the hot spot as I could on NTT-Docomo (Japan) this summer. As this is not a carrier supported phone I really don't see how they could know you are doing it or prevent you from it. I suppose you could manually do
/bin/echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/wl1271/allow_adhoc
from a command prompt after becoming root (devel-su then rootme)
I am on PR 1.3

The Following User Says Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
I'm not in the US but can someone explain how would your carrier know you are using WiFi Hotspot especially on an unsupported phone like the n9?
Are you asking why applications like ad-hac and spotON are necessary, or how a carrier would know you were using a WiFi Hotspot?

If it is the former, it is because the FCC limits it in the US, so the behavior is blocked. If it is the latter, I don't think they could know.

The Following User Says Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allenchuang View Post
Hi guys, I was just ran into an issue with the hotspot. I have downloaded spotOn to unlock hotspot availability in the US and also tried ad-hac. However, when i was trying to use it just now, it does successfully set up a network but with no data transfers (upload/download both at 0) and I cannot find the network with either my laptop or my tablet.

It is not an issue with not being able to use the feature, but rather it simply does not work. Does anyone else face a similar situation? Is there a fix to it? I am using T-Mobile BTW.
Try reboot first, there is a system bug that shuts WiFi down after tethering. Maybe this is what you experienced.

If you have ad-hac, you can remove SpotOn. SpotOn and ad-hac do the same thing, just that ad-hac put itself into system initialization routine so you don't need to unlock every time you want to do hotspot.

ok, the person who shall not be named due to being a borderline sexual assaulter and a serial public offender has verified that T-Mobile have no control over your tethering.

the problem is you are using both these apps. Uninstall both and use ad-hac only then try it'll work....

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-21 at 08:20.

Yea I am having this issue too. Ever since I updated to pr1.3 I can't seem to get the wifi hotpsot to work. It turns on, but on the computer it only says "no internet connectivity". On N9, it does not show any device connected to it and no data is being uploaded or downloaded.

The Following User Says Thank You to linking For This Useful Post: