Hello all,

I've had my N900 for so soo long now. The last couple of days have shown a depressing difficulty where the SIM card is not read intermittently and I think it's finally going to die...

So what are former N900 owners now using?

Ideally looking for something with as many open source app options as the Nokia had, f-droid is ok, but seems like there is less there... and google creeps me out.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bdbogart For This Useful Post:
I've still got my N900 and it's working okay, but yeah I'm going to have to get a new one sometime. I'm not sure what, though. I got a cheap $20 LG phone as a backup phone.

If anyone sees a wrist wearable device with telephone functionality and a terminal interface, please let me know. That's about all I use (oh and a music player...dang, now it's too big).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bradvesp For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by bdbogart View Post
Ideally looking for something with as many open source app options as the Nokia had, f-droid is ok, but seems like there is less there... and google creeps me out.
Welcome to TMO bdbogart!

There are many more competent users here to give you an advice so i will keep quiet for now.
But to give them a little more details, what are the most beloved features that made you stay so long with your N900?
Are you sure you do not want to look for another used N900 since general consensus here in my experience is that where ever a former daily maemo user moves to, (SailfishOs in my case) you probably loose more than you gain

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
If google creeps you out, buy Oneplus 7 Pro and flash Lineage OS.
It won't have this nostalgic kinda old-small-pc in your hand feel, but it will make up for that by being a million years ahead as a smartphone.
Of course you can also buy cheap phones like Redmi Note 7 and do the same. You are still going to travel 10 years literally in the future, so it's still fine.

Sent from my Xperia X using Tapatalk

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Waiting for the Pyra to be released and then to be used as main traveling device in combination w/dumbphone. Still going strong with my N900 as main device for now (no FB, no WA, no Google services... life sometimes can be difficult!).
--
Forgot to mention. I switched off my N900 in 2015 or so, just to re-activate it in 2017. Tried XperiaX with SailfishOS, no way to be as productive as I was beforehand. Main issue is that I am heavily using TaskWarrior and I can't live without a keyboard. For a short time I've been tempted by Chen's F(x)Tec Pro1 device and I am still looking at it, specifically how it is going to work without Android.

Last edited by jurop88; 2019-09-15 at 07:36. Reason: Completion

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
I've lived Google-free on my Android device from day one with CM/LOS (4 years). Unless you're specifically tied to some proprietary piece of software (e.g. faceboon, slack, etc.) it's not really a problem. I managed to convince 12 people to use XMPP, the rest have to call me/send sms/send email.

Actually, my current setup is more open source than sailfishos

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
If have been so long with N900 I wonder why to change just when the leste is behind the corner? If I were you I would ask from some member to spare one N900 and stick a bit longer. I could probably make a deal with you: 25Eur plus postage from Finland and If you after Leste decide to change phone you promise to sell the phone back at the same price. I think I could have one spare.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Even with all of the new apps there is no replacement for brilliant adaptation apps like heysms which bridge SMS functionality to your laptop over wifi via rendezvous protocol with Gaim chat.
I cant really find any Gaim/Pidgin like chat apps for Android.
That is the least of my complaints on not having an x11/gnu experience with even FOSS OS suffering from blob bin drivers Android/LineageOS for microG.
At least we also have real .conf files, who knows how to hack the config on so many apps even if they are foss form the fdroid repos.

Last edited by biketool; 2019-09-15 at 19:44.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
hmmm...
just get another n900...
failing that...
anything that you can flash lineage onto...
or cm...
or floko ...
or whathaveyou...

personally I am content with floko pie ...
ubuntu ...and maru ...
on my nexus 5's ....

That being said..
I still daily use my n8x0's for film and music ...and to tinker...
and am waiting for Leste to be daily driver ready for my n900s ...

Soooo...
not a bad time for choices...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
I've recently augmented (not replaced) my N900 with a GPD Micro PC.
It replaces my EEE 901.

Originally Posted by jurop88 View Post
Waiting for the Pyra to be released and then to be used as main traveling device in combination w/dumbphone.
Once released, the Pyra will have a modem (same as Neo900 was supposed to have) and EvilDragon once said in a presentation, that technically you should be able to make phone calls with it. So strictly speaking, no dumbphone would be needed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: