Active Topics

Since yesterday my N900 has been refusing to connect to mobile inernet via 3g. Everytime i try and select my mobile internet connectio n in the connection manager it will try and connect for a few seconds then the message 'Cellular data not available' shows. Originally i thought it may have just been a network problem so waited to see if there was any improvement. Today i tried my sim in my old phone and low and behold it connected straight away.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: Wrong forum, mods please move

Last edited by ponch; 2010-10-23 at 14:57. Reason: Incorrect forum

The Following User Says Thank You to ponch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 105 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Finland
Did you try going offline/online or rebooting?

The Following User Says Thank You to onion For This Useful Post:
Tried rebooting, one thing ive noticed is when it tries to connect all signal bars disappear. Presumably this is the problem? I have no idea why it will not hold a signal while trying to establish a connection.

The Following User Says Thank You to ponch For This Useful Post:
Just been having a look around settings and the phone appears to have set its self to GSM only. Switched back to dual, problem solved.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ponch For This Useful Post:
have you tried updating to PR 1.3 and tried connecting to 3g network again?

i'm having a problem "internet connection failed retry?"

i have tried changing the network mode into dual, GSM and 3G.
rebooted the n900 several times, same thing..

any help?troubleshooting steps to overcome this situation. i really need to fix this problem, i hate reinstalling all the apps again and personalizing my menus. if all else fails, I will be flashing this back to PR1.2

I saw someone on forums having the same exact problem as mine.

http://www.pocketables.net/2010/10/n...34888f03ea970c

The Following User Says Thank You to anamorp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
I just had a similar problem, but worse. Under 'Select Connection', the connection for my 3G service didn't even show up, IDEAS Internet by Singtel in Singapore. This is just after a fresh installation of the 1.3 firmware through PC suite. I now restarted the phone; problem solved.

Now I'll just have to find the time to let the phone reinstall all the apps (900+ Mb...).
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

The Following User Says Thank You to magnuslu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
This morning opened my N900, put the 3G data on and tried to browse the net - none of the browser could make a connection to internet. Tried to ping google. Nothing. Tried mSoma internet radio - worked without a problem. Rebooted device - same problem. Shut it down, took of the battery, took of sim, put them back and rebooted. Same problem still. Then tried that I call to my phone with another phone. No problem. After that I could browse internet again. Switch the 3G data connection off, put it back on and same thing happened. Only after I had called to my phone with another phone I could connect to internet with a browser.

Why ping and browser did not work but mSoma internet radio did?

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
This morning opened my N900, put the 3G data on and tried to browse the net - none of the browser could make a connection to internet. Tried to ping google. Nothing. Tried mSoma internet radio - worked without a problem. Rebooted device - same problem. Shut it down, took of the battery, took of sim, put them back and rebooted. Same problem still. Then tried that I call to my phone with another phone. No problem. After that I could browse internet again. Switch the 3G data connection off, put it back on and same thing happened. Only after I had called to my phone with another phone I could connect to internet with a browser.

Why ping and browser did not work but mSoma internet radio did?
Could it be DNS problem ? You probably did 'ping google.com' not ###.###.###.### whatever ip google uses near you, I'd guess. You could rule this out next time it happens by trying to ping an ip4 address.

Wish I had a carrier now I could use N900 on to try it, but I chose . . . poorly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Now started to have internet connection problem again. Browsers not opening page even though it shows in top bar a good connection. But if I call with N900 to myself (occupied of course) and then open the browser then it works again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
My solution works also with sending a text message. After that it connects to internet. If I choose to connect automatically to my mobile network (so always on) there are no problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: