Poll: Should MeeGo devs inform maemo.org users through talk.maemo.org?
Poll Options
Should MeeGo devs inform maemo.org users through talk.maemo.org?

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
/me rubs hands together... Sorry folks, but I'm really having a good time doing this.
And by"this" you mean posting several lies, saying I've said things that I never said, dozens of times, and then never addressing it when called on it?

How are you going to avoid posting a retraction this time?
The same way I did the first time. Both have blobs that will eventually fail. If you can sleep easier at night because one is 5% closed and one is "40%" closed, then so be it. If the closed blobs get frozen (and/or CE doesn't catch up to Maemo in functionality) then the whole argument is pointless.

And that would be right.
Then why did you lie and say I said something when I didn't? Why would you say that I claimed "Meego's goals were not to make an usable OS"? Why would you lie like that, not just once, but several times over this thread?

As for the rest... Squabble about semantics. Is it a tablet, or a computer, and AMD is the same as x86, but three processors in the same OMAP family are all different, but anything that compiles for ARM is all the same... That's all off topic. A smoke screen of semantics and crap you're using to avoid admitting that you were wrong.

I want to address one real key issue here though: Your habitual use of lies, repeatedly claiming I said things that I never said.

Until you man up about it, I really don't see a point in talking with you any more. If you're just going to lie, why would I want to talk with you?

And because you've lied so much in this thread, what makes you think for an instant that I'm going to accept anything you say as truth? Why would I accept that you know more about MeeGo (and it's history), when everything else I've read, including material from the MeeGo project site itself, says something different? Why should I trust someone I know to be a habitual liar over a community based-factual source?

Spread your FUD and lies elsewhere. I'm done feeding you, troll.

P.s. @Gerbick: Smaller post. Happy?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
The same way I did the first time. Both have blobs that will eventually fail. If you can sleep easier at night because one is 5% closed and one is "40%" closed, then so be it. If the closed blobs get frozen (and/or CE doesn't catch up to Maemo in functionality) then the whole argument is pointless.
You did it again! Back to square one.

Less number of closed blobs -> less maintainership overhead, less number of requests to be to Nokia, more easiness to actually replace the blobs if the need arises -> non-marginal increased chances of the platform being actually useful in the future.

And sorry, but it's been you the one that has had to start deviating from the main topic with totally unrelated and non-verifiable stuff like ARM not being a initial target of MeeGo --despite the FAQ he has clearly partially read has an entry about ARM _exactly_ to avoid him saying that ARM is a secondary target of MeeGo--, then got his ego hurt when pointed out numerous times about his multiple factual errors, and eventually started doing "goodbye" posts in increasing number of colors only to come back later.

My main point has been clear since day one, I still don't see how you can objectively argue against it and you'd be lucky to find one open source developer that does not objectively find it true.

The only thing that is keeping me here is watching yourself dig your own manhole by spewing more and more opinions about things you don't know about (technically, I'm also digging mine by burning my posts-karma ratio).

Last edited by javispedro; 2011-09-09 at 00:59.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
What none of you are doing is getting MEEGO working as an OS for the N900.

So is this to and fro is going to gain a meego os FULLY WORKING with ALL components? then stop arguing and talk to the so called development team that are working on this so called N900 Meego adaption.

If they cannot even get the BME component to work after ALL this development time when they have been given access to all closed source components then there is something wrong with this development team.

"Should MeeGo developers continue to publish info on this forum for maemo users (wrt Nokia device support)? "

is the title of this thread and they do not report simply because there is nothing to report as the so called adaption has not only failed but is no further forward than it was 3 month ago.

So carry on with your pathetic off topic debate.

This community very much wants a COMPLETE Meego OS for the N900.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
If they cannot even get the BME component to work after ALL this development time when they have been given access to all closed source components then there is something wrong with this development team.
That's just plain wrong - please stop spreading misinformation.

They've had BME working since forever in the 1.2 images - wall charger and USB charging. Even with a battery meter in UI and charging indication.

The Following User Says Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tekki View Post
Well, you have chased away every single MeeGo developer from this place by now, so if you want any questions answered, this is the way. Participation and proper discussion - it's all public, logged.

Come and tell them what you think of their architectual choices.
"architectual choices" is probaly the best thing you have said on this thread because no way they have started even on the right track with this so called meego adaption.

I am probably the only one brave enough on this forum to say the work on this adpation is absolute crap, all wrong from start to finnish (pardon the pun) and if one person can "chase them away" then they are not worthy in the first place.

Please note that this is in fact a Maemo community and nothing to do with Meego..... THEY MADE IT THAT WAY !.

They've had BME working since forever in the 1.2 images - wall charger and USB charging. Even with a battery meter in UI and charging indication.
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3733&page=7

Go read THAT ok.

The last post made by cckwes MeeGo Greeter.......

"We have new image available that is based on MeeGo 1.3 and has some of the CE packages already included. Compared to the previous image this image boots to the Handset UX. It is however still far from ready and has many bugs.

=== WARNING ===
Battery management doesn't work yet so make sure you have fully loaded battery before booting this image.
=== WARNING ===

NOTES:
- systemui crashes often
- battery management isn't working so be careful with that your battery doesn't run out (investigation ongoing)
- zypper has problems with package installation (patch already submitted)
- ssh doesn't start during boot (investigation ongoing)"

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-09-09 at 05:22.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
woody, I'll just pitch in with what I know of historical facts and not really to join whatever fight is here. Some of this is more along lines of what was experienced and not really documented, but here goes:

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
MeeGos main target (having started with Moblin) was Atom, not ARM. ARM was added as it was transitioned. So no, that was proven TRUE, not false, despite your objections to reality.
MeeGo's base was Moblin 2.0, severely modified architectually to become MeeGo. Moblin 2.0 was built for Atom, yes. During this big modification time (what led to 1.0), the ARM port was done by both the hardware adaptation team that currently does MeeGo CE and some Linux Foundation contractors.

This practically meant, build all the source packages with ARM compiler and set up a target. Nowadays the ports are pretty equal. Initially the port was built for ARMv5 instruction set, then changed to build for ARMv7-A instruction set as this is where the most devices are based on nowadays.

Now, this portable core doesn't include hardware adaptations - like, adding in graphics drivers and other specific things, so they had to be made. Which is why we have seen the MeeGo core and UX'es on different ARMv7 devices - the core isn't specifically made for a certain device

why is it MeeGo doesn't work on the N950 and N9?[/B] I mean, really... if it all translates so well, and every pocket calculator is a suitable testing system, it should just work on the N950 and N9, shouldn't it?
It does actually work. The problem was that the stupid aegis security system blocked people being able to flash custom kernels in the firmware revision given out to N950 developer program people. This is fixed in a later version that N950 developer program will hopefully soon get, and N9 owners will have in sales release.

The process of this hardware adaptation for N950/N9 was similar to that of N900 - take the hardware agnostic MeeGo core, add in hardware adaptation such as GLESv2 drivers (actually shared with N900), kernel, wifi firmware/bt fimware, etc.

Just a minor comment - you state that a dialer for one device using ofono won't work on the other - that's not really true. The MeeGo dialer was made by a person from Intel who has no N900, developing it on Intel hardware + Infineon modems and we were able to use it directly on N900 + ISI modems, using same Ofono API with no source modifications.

The Following User Says Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3733&page=7

Go read THAT ok.
Ah-ha, you do go outside this forum Please note that I said 1.2, you were exaggrating that they couldn't get it working after "after ALL this development time"

They're rebasing all components on to a new core on top of MeeGo 1.3 and well, since you see the whole open development, you also see what things aren't done yet The images exist so people can do their work and get things working without having to wait on one person that does the battery part. The 1.3 work practically just started.

The issue here, technically is that a open source component, DSME does not yet have the needed service description files to boot on startup - we were looking to replace DSME with something else. And well, BME depends on DSME (or a variant of this), so BME doesn't work in 1.3 images. Yet.

Not the blob's fault.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post:

I am quoting what you just said in your previous reply to me yet again...... it speaks for itself now.

Tekki i actually do not want to argue with you, all i want to see happen is a FULLY working flashable image to take over the Maemo OS.

Please at least try to understand my goal here ok.

Tags
context, debate, developers, frappadecaf, infraction pts, javis vs. woody, let's troll!, meego, relevance