Active Topics

Poll: Should MeeGo devs inform maemo.org users through talk.maemo.org?
Poll Options
Should MeeGo devs inform maemo.org users through talk.maemo.org?

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
Right, abill_uk - you have succesfully made me believe in those people that think this place should be shut down.

Kind of like nuking an island to kill the alien monster, despite all the unfortunate collateral.

If any of you would like to have real information and to have productive discussions of MeeGo, MeeGo on N900 and other devices, I have posted several avenues on where you can do so (I do somewhat agree with gerbick's opinion that forum.meego.com seems a little too clinical from layout etc, but I'd actually like to chat with gerbick at times and hear his views on IRC, for instance)

Any and all of you are welcome to come chat and discuss. Like many others who has come by. I've even seen ysss on IRC. People hang out in multiple places, cross-talking between CSSU, Cordia, Harmattan, MeeGo CE, etc.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=262 - IRC chat information

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=269 - Mailing list and forum information

This is tekki signing off forever, disillusioned by this place by now.

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
@abill, are you happy now, man?

Do you wake up everyday thinking, how do i degrade TMO today?
What nonsense do I spout today? How can I make the world a worse place?

I cant start to imagine how the people around you in real life suffer you. My hearts go out to them.

</rant>

Sorry, I just had to do it. I have seen too many people leaving TMO beacuse of him and too many discussions getting offtracked due to his FUD and uninformed BS. Maybe TMO should have abill_uk ignored by default?

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
@abill, are you happy now, man?

Do you wake up everyday thinking, how do i degrade TMO today?
What nonsense do I spout today? How can I make the world a worse place?

I cant start to imagine how the people around you in real life suffer you. My hearts go out to them.

</rant>

Sorry, I just had to do it. I have seen too many people leaving TMO beacuse of him and too many discussions getting offtracked due to his FUD and uninformed BS. Maybe TMO should have abill_uk ignored by default?
If asking for a meego image is too much for someone then so be it but i tell you this community is desperate for something, anything, and now we see cssu dis-regarded by the meego team, all thay have done is distant everythng AWAY from Maemo and eventually they will all feel so guilty leaving this community in the lurch they would leave anyhow.

You need to get a grip of reality instead of making such un-educated posts.... really.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@Tekki: well I was already idling on irc nearly 20 years ago, so it's not that alien to me (or maybe it was, to see that it hasn't changed all that much through the years).

At the core, I think we do need to represent the openness (libre) that we are fighting for here by letting people like abill say their piece... to a certain extent, at least... But looking at his warpath and the actual societal damage that he has done to what little is left of the maemo community is also disheartening and screams for tighter control and moderation.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@Tekki: well I was already idling on irc nearly 20 years ago, so it's not that alien to me (or maybe it was, to see that it hasn't changed all that much through the years).

At the core, I think we do need to represent the openness (libre) that we are fighting for here by letting people like abill say their piece... to a certain extent, at least... But looking at his warpath and the actual societal damage that he has done to what little is left of the maemo community is also disheartening and screams for tighter control and moderation.
And the reason there is little left in the way of developers on the Maemo community is because stskeeps came in here with his fantastic explanation of why every developer working on Maemo should leave that behind and transfer there skills to meego.

The rest is elementary watson, so there you have my reasoning behind my ambiguous posting on this thread.

And when tekki tried to tell everyone the BME component was working

"They've had BME working since forever in the 1.2 images - wall charger and USB charging. Even with a battery meter in UI and charging indication."

and having followed the meego development for some time silently i just had to copy the last post regarding BME.

Then he obviously felt such a twit by telling me i talk FUD, he felt he had to leave, his doing not mine as i have never asked nor wanted anyone to leave Maemo.org especially to do with Maemo development.

It is all going down the pan slowly but surely, something i predicted a good few months ago on here and it all began with the dev's leaving for other projects such as meego.

I would very much like meego to make the grade as an OS for the N900 but i also would have liked further development going on by that team, and on here for Maemo.

Maemo progression has been slowly destructed without any explanations, all in the dark, and still everyone want's and hopes Maemo to be further developed because after all this is Maemo.org.

So yes i am bit sad that it is all going from here slowly but surely and please remember the meego developers put the gap between the 2, that was the beggining of the end as far as i could see it and has proved me right yet again, something i did never want to happen but it has.

The arguments going on here between a few are nothing actually to do with meego or Maemo development and you should really be directing your critisism in that direction not at me, work it out for yourself.

I am done with this thread now unless a miracle happens as it is of no use whatsoever to either meego or Maemo.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-09-09 at 14:49.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@abill_uk: you mean when you asked stskeeps to break his legal contract and leak the codes under his care and he basically told you to f off? you two were already in a wicked downward spiral by that time anyway.

We'll see how 'done' you are this time, as according to google you've declared that you're 'done' with some part of TMO more than 30 times already by now, yet you seem to be immortal here.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I am done with this thread now unless a miracle happens as it is of no use whatsoever to either meego or Maemo.
Then silently let something happen. Angrily requesting stuff that cannot be released is not the way to go.

It'll happen. Or it won't. Until then, silence is a necessary virtue.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by tekki View Post
woody, I'll just pitch in with what I know of historical facts
I appreciate that. I was hoping someone from MeeGo would chime in, but didn't want to call out specifically for someone to speak if they didn't want to.

MeeGo's base was Moblin 2.0
Exactly as the FAQ indicated, and everything I'd read. MeeGo = Moblin + ARM + Nokia driver merge-in.

Nowadays the ports are pretty equal.
I would suspect that, post MeeGo 1.0. Usually the 1.0 mark means you met your initial internal goals, which I'm sure included ARM integration. Once done (especially at the kernel/driver level), it's commonly pretty stable from there on. Very little in user-land should be platform dependent, since that's really the goal/task of the OS layer: To abstract out hardware dependencies so programs don't need to know/care about that. (As you indicated.)

It does actually work (on the N9/N950).
I appreciate the update and detailed info. I was (probably ignorantly) basing my knowledge of the N9/N950 status on something Javispedro said:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Meego does not support either the N950 (but will in a few weeks) or the N9. So we are not talking about the past.
Which he then criticized me for talking about the next day saying:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Again, your example has failed you, as there's both a N950 and a N9 image floating around, _even_ before the release of the N9.
In retrospect, I should have known better to accept such information from a known habitual liar.

Just a minor comment - you state that a dialer for one device using ofono won't work on the other - that's not really true.
I'll accept the correction... Instead I'll say: The dialer for one device using ofono may not always work on other devices. I know from the past via the OpenMoko projects that the dialer apps for some releases (both using ofono) didn't cross over to other projects or architectures cleanly. It may be that the dialer he used was already aware of several groupings or types of devices, which allowed it to work without adding a new set of instructions.

Still, ofono, while nice, is more like SNMP than a direct library. There's no "DialNumber()" call... It's done instead through a more complex interface that can change based on underlying chipsets. That means either the dialer app has evolved to know more possibilities, or the industry has started to standardize a bit more since I looked at it last (which was admittedly nearly 3 years ago).

Either way, that's a good thing.

Thanks again for the update and clarification. It's always appreciated to hear actual facts from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Is this the right room for an argument?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y&t=1m15s

My website

GitHub

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I appreciate the update and detailed info. I was (probably ignorantly) basing my knowledge of the N9/N950 status on something Javispedro said
I guess you yourself should know there's no black and white -- the existence of an image doesn't mean a release (and in fact as you quoted I did mention there would be a release soon...).

The exact cause is that the images are not bootable on the current bootloaders, as said above.

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
The dialer for one device using ofono may not always work on other devices.
Sadly, one of the developers that was driven away after a ~8 page discussion here was one of the authors of the dialer app... otherwise you could have asked him how he did it (oops! turns out there's a "dialnumber" call, despite your assertions to the contrary...).

Last edited by javispedro; 2011-09-09 at 21:27.

Tags
context, debate, developers, frappadecaf, infraction pts, javis vs. woody, let's troll!, meego, relevance