Active Topics

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Funland
Hello community!

This is my first post here, so don't jump the gun if I'm asking stupid things. I honestly tried to do several searches to see if this subject has been dealt with before, but came up with nothing.

To the point:

Is it possible to use the N900 in an aeroplane during flights? And no, I don't mean that can I call my friends from the plane and brag about joining the 10 mile high club.

I mean can the phone be used as a gaming machine, a music player or a text editor without interfering with the plane's controls, i.e. can the gsm radio be turned off?

Yes, you can disable/turn off GSM/Bluetooth/WiFi/Radio.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 296 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Yes, you can disable/turn off GSM/Bluetooth/WiFi/Radio.
Hrm.... wonder if thers a setting for this, 1 switch like on iphone which will switch all connections off for you, airplane mode

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Funland
Thanks for the quick response and good news in it.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
you can use a laptop, but can't use a phone.

we need a laptop disguise included
You're not allowed to use GSM/3G/WiFi/Bluetooth/FM Transmitter on a laptop either, on a plane. You're supposed to turn off all the radios - or at least, all the same radios as on a phone.

Originally Posted by Anwarboy11 View Post
Hrm.... wonder if thers a setting for this, 1 switch like on iphone which will switch all connections off for you, airplane mode
Yes, it's all or nothing at the moment and there are a couple of open bugs about selectively switching some radios off.

if you do some research on the internet you will find it is all a complete fraud that your phone interferes with the airlines navigations systems. think how many flights occur every day. if even 1% of people sneakily used their phones during take off / landing (like I always do becuase it a crock of sh1t), chances are you would have seen some kind of crash or problems. in all the years that mobiles have been carried on planes, i have yet to even hear a rumour of such a thing.

so I say, turn it all on....bluetooth, wireless, point the infrared at pilot, you name it...live on the edge people

The Following User Says Thank You to huntr77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Use it. When asked, tell them it is a gameboy. What do they know?

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Most airlines say that PDAs can be used as long as their wireless is disabled; the N900 is no different.

That said, there are a number of airlines that have started providing in-flight WiFi, which you could use with your N900 to access the web and even make VoIP (or Skype) calls from the air.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta, GA United States
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
You're not allowed to use GSM/3G/WiFi/Bluetooth/FM Transmitter on a laptop either, on a plane. You're supposed to turn off all the radios - or at least, all the same radios as on a phone.
Hardly. Many airlines now have WiFi available on flights. And some have it available on all their flights.