Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I cannot quantify the times. Over 4 hours of display lit, mostly email, sms, IM through gtalk, browser and conboy use, checking facebook through the applet, online all the time through 3g. Perhaps 1h of calls per day. This is my subjective feeling that I'm talking here, so I don't have the numbers for you.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Oh, my current tablet will last forever turned off and hidden in a drawer, but that's not very useful

If for "normal use" you mean keeping it your pocket waiting for incoming calls, I could believe it.
Actually using it, that's another matter.
Using is what I meant with normal use. Idle use is keeping it in your pocket. For that it lasts far more than 2 days (again, no numbers - I do know the theoretical measured numbers, but those are taken with completely idle device, and I want to tell from a device that has applets on home, and apps running on the device).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Oh right, I guess the iPhone fans will point out that their devices have exploding batteries. Can the N900 do that?
Fixed in Fremantle.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Battery life is one thing that the Maemo people have said that they're actively working on in these last few weeks before the device goes on sale.
IIRC, I've seen the Nokia Energy Profiler showing up in some N900 videos. This is a cool application that originated from Symbian showing the current power drain on a device (I've used it on my N82 to compare FM radio vs. Internet Radio power drain). Glad to see it ported to Maemo.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
I find it very strange that flac and ogg is missing from the supported codecs. I guess they are very easy to install afterwards?

Probably the main question is if they are accelerated then.

The Following User Says Thank You to arj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Does the n900 support haptic feedback? It is a really nice feature on the 5800xm that i am currently running.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
Does the n900 support haptic feedback? It is a really nice feature on the 5800xm that i am currently running.
I answered my own question - Yes, it does have haptic feedback per a number of reviewers.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
IIRC, I've seen the Nokia Energy Profiler showing up in some N900 videos. This is a cool application that originated from Symbian showing the current power drain on a device (I've used it on my N82 to compare FM radio vs. Internet Radio power drain). Glad to see it ported to Maemo.
just wish it could show up on older maemo, or even somehow on mer.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Ive just been hanging out at the onedotzero exhibition in Londons Southbank and i managed to score some alone time with the N900.

Im told it was running a very recent build and to me the firmware is very solid, the UI felt ready for primetime. I will post some more thoughts when i get back to my desktop.

Last edited by dansus; 2009-09-11 at 01:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by dansus View Post
Ive just been hanging out at the onedotzero exhibition in Londons Southbank and i managed to score some alone time with the N900.

....I will post some more thoughts when i get back to my desktop.
I spent about 20mins with the device and overall i was impressed, any doubts i had about owning the N900 are now long gone.

I started playing with Karsten's 3D text app which projected messages on to the side of a building which showed off the accelerometer as i moved around text sucked up from Facebook,Twitter and others streaming across a 100ft+ wall. I felt like a Borg taking in the worlds thoughts.

Hardware wise it feels solid and natural in the hand, the keyboard was immediately usable and the learning curve was working out where all the usual keys are and adjusting to the offset spacebar, after 10mins i was flowing nicely. The thing that slowed me down was shifting for 1+2 because theres only one shift key on the left, it was annoying to try and press two keys so close to each other. So a left and right shift key here would be ideal.

The sreen felt solid and there was no sense of give or squishiness, responsiveness was fine in most cases, moving widgets around the home screen was instant and the only part that reminded me of M4, the rest is all new. At times the home screen and photo app wouldnt respond well to short swipes, you need to use a confident and firm swipe to activate it but if you use your nail it was very sensitive, maybe thats by design, maybe screen tech, but i remember what Quim said about the sensitivity being dialled down by design. The rest of the UI responded well to short swipes.

I had a chance to go through the process of setting up new widgets, email, photos and have a look around the repo, it felt like home, easy to use and the UI flowed nicely, I dont think ive ever picked up a new UI so quickly.

I plugged in my quality headphones and jammed while exploring the device, the audio didnt hesitate while doing other stuff and the quality was on par with other N-Series but didnt have time to fully pass judgement. The 2 videos i played worked and looked nice without any obvious judder or smearing but again hard to judge without using my own sources.

The only thing i didnt get to play with sadly was the browser due to lack of connectivity but kinetic scrolling in the repo was sa-weeet.

I know people are saying its not a NIT any more and its just a smartphone but when you use it, you really feel like your using a device that is more than a smartphone and im really excited about getting my N900.

Big thanks to Karsten for being so accommodating.

Last edited by dansus; 2009-09-11 at 04:48.

The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post: