Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
After long time of service, my trusty nokia n900 started to have problems - battery related - lasting less than one day, turning off in the middle of the conversations, random reboots, etc.
Becase the neo900 is still under development, and i needed a phone i can use right now, i decided to look for a smartphone with top specifications and a hardware keyboard. Apart from blackberry passport (which i don't really like), i didn't found anything.
And to be realistic, we will never see smartphones with physical keyboards, unfortunately.
However there is still a chance. We can make our own qwerty equiped smartphones.
For this i decided to buy a smartphone with top specifications and see if i can build "the other half" for it.
So i got the samsung galaxy note 4, and started to search for a bluetooth keyboard. I found the Rii mini to be a good quality keyboard, and long battery life.
Apart from the keyboard i wanted a slide mechanism just like nokia n900, but even more usable, i wanted a slide and tilt mechanism like htc x9500.
So the idea i got was to sue two cases: one for the phone and one for the keyboard. The two cases were to be united by the slide mechanism.
After a weekend of building, here is the end result:

Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f68Yjjv8QEw

Here is the note 4 qwerty - enabled next to a psion series 5mx and a psion series 3a:

And here is note 4 running debian xfce next to a hp jornada 720:

And here is note 4 emulating windows xp next to htc x9500 running windows 10:

In conclusion - the fact that the major smartphones manufacturers are no longer making qwerty phones, gave us the opportunity to build our own, with evenm more functionality.
For example on nokia n900 i was unable to fully control the interface using only the keyboard, i still had to touch the screen sometimes. But with this keyboard and the mousepad it has, i can fully control the phone without touching the screen.
You can see more details on how i build it here: http://simpledevices.blogspot.ro/

Nowadays they are building only a half of the phone. It is up to us to build the other half.

Last edited by ryu1; 2015-06-21 at 15:27.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Reminds me to my Project N955:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84025

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
That look good, but those keyboards does not have a mousepad, so no full control over the interface.
And i forgot to mention that i found a free space in the keyboard case which i use to carry the usb host adapter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
That look good, but those keyboards does not have a mousepad, so no full control over the interface.
Maybe because mine is running on Harmattan and you on crapdroid?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Well done but TBH, I feel a bit let down. The thread title has given rise to a vain hope of running Maemo on SGN4. Clearly different people have different ideas of what makes a device an N900

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-06-22 at 08:52. Reason: s/home/hope

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Well, he does run Debian so there's always a possibility of getting Hildon running in some state.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
the fact that note 4 is using android is a indeed downside, but i think that if we can emulate or even flash other operating systems, it is not that bad.
I already have debian running on the phone, and would i would like to run maemo as well. Now is there any posibility to run maemo as a live image just as i run debian?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
The only keyword I know is Xephyr: http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...K_Installation

However, there are Maemo 5 applications running on Harmattan with chroot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIlD7NsO1QI

Maybe, you can find more than that...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
I hope i will have time this weekend to try this.
I remember i runed meego on htc x9500 some time ago, i think i will be able to do the same on note 4.

Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
I hope i will have time this weekend to try this.
I remember i runed meego on htc x9500 some time ago, i think i will be able to do the same on note 4.
whwn you say you ran meego, do you mean harmattan?

Tags
hw keyboard, note 4