Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by BigPeteNZ View Post
Hi,

After having constant communication errors on my N900, will the Neo900 be built with leaded solder or lead-free solder? In the job I'm in my phone gets knocked a lot so don't want the same problem.
I haven't looked into whether this will work in New Zealand either yet, but I guess it should. Haven't donated yet. But watching eagerly
Cheers. Pete.
The communication problems of N900 (aka "No SIM" / "No Phone Functions") is most likely not related to RoHS, but rather to the mechanical design. Pressing hard on the keyboard obviously could bend the PCB and thus snap open the BGA chip solder joints on chips directly under the keyboard.

For bands supported by P*S8, yes I'm aware of the situation and I'm not happy with it. But we cannot find a better modem so far, that would be actually usable in our project.

Cheers
jOERG

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I can't find a definitive answer regarding the choice of module for WiFi / Bluetooth. Has any decision been made in this area?

I'd love to see 5GHz WiFi and Bluetooth 4 support but noticed the feasibility study lists some 4 different options based on the existing GTA04 and N900 solutions, none of which seem to support all of these capabilities although the TiWi modules seem to come closest.

I assume that a Broadcom solution is out of the picture given their track record on open documentation which is a shame given the capabilities of the BCM43460.

A rather interesting solution is available from MediaTek, the MT6620 which also features rather comprehensive satellite positioning options in addition to WiFi, BT and FM RX.

This flagged a question in my mind, the feasibility study makes it clear that the current intention is to use the modem for location. Aside from the certification issues with location reporting over the cellular link (required for 'emergency' calls in some jurisdictions) is it possible to disable the location functions in the modem?

This is a sticky question seeing as the modem is one of the few closed off blocks in the Neo900. At least the isolation of the modem from the main system does limit what can be accessed should the modem be compromised.

Apologies for the wandering nature of this post maybe a few simple questions to sum up:

Is 5GHz WiFi possible?
Is Bluetooth 4 possible?
Are location services tied to the modem?

The Following User Says Thank You to LES.. For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by LES.. View Post
This flagged a question in my mind, the feasibility study makes it clear that the current intention is to use the modem for location. Aside from the certification issues with location reporting over the cellular link (required for 'emergency' calls in some jurisdictions) is it possible to disable the location functions in the modem?
Hardly. Sole nature of cellular networks makes it possible to be located, if not by the modem, then for sure by the network - very often with better accuracy than GPS. The only way to not disclose your location is to not login to the network (or to tamper with MIMO antennas, but that's hardly an user friendly option ) - and that applies to any mobile phone out there.

But if you mean GPS alone, you will be able to simply disable the GPS antenna to prevent the modem from using it (and if modem tries anyway even when not requested, you will be alarmed)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Finally donated! I cannot wait for the device to ship and the world's best pocketable computer to be in the palm of my hands!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Just checked out that the neo900 donations went from 128 to 152 donations! Help it reach 200!

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Will there be a release party and possible to donate to release party?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-07-05 at 16:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
Just checked out that the neo900 donations went from 128 to 152 donations! Help it reach 200!
...and specs has been updated a bit to better represent current state of the project, and we're working right now on progress updates

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
I have seen the new specifications, and I am very happy of them, especially of the dual-touch resistive touchscreen !! I hope it will be as good as the one of the N900, or better !!

So after viewing all the world frequencies, for UTMS and LTE :
* 3G : at the exception of the Americas, almost all the countries use the 2100 freq. In the Americas, the main frequencies are the 2100 and the 1900. For the other countries, the 900 MHz frequency is enougth for them. So with a 900/1900/2100 MHz coverage, we will have a world coverage, and we will be compatible with the main part of the 3G providers.

* 4G : at the exception of the north America, the main frequency is the 1800, but it is not as universal as the 2100 freq for the UTMS. The second main frequency is the 2600.
In the north America, they are almost the only ones (actually the others are in the south America), to use the frequencies available with the PLS8-US chip, but it seems that the freq 1700 is enougth for the north America, and the main part of the south America countries use the 1700 and 2600 frequencies.

So as I can see, it is very difficult to find a compatible chip for all the countries. However, the one in this device , in the variant 150 or 151 can be interresting. I have not already find the chip, but I think it is a Balong 710, of Hisilicon, but I'm not sure. What do you think of them ?

Originally Posted by wolke View Post
yea id have been shocked if this were feasible. shocked, and sexually aroused.
Prepare your mind !

Last edited by Astaoth; 2014-07-06 at 11:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Astaoth View Post
I have seen the new specifications, and I am very happy of them, especially of the dual-touch resistive touchscreen !! I hope it will be as good as the one of the N900, or better !!
It's the same screen! Just connected to a clever controller that can detect dual-touch gestures: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/neo900/issues/527/

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
See the new update:

July Trilogy, Part I: The Past

The next parts, focusing on "The Present" and "The Future" soon!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!