Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Its your avatar ysss

@9000

Stating personal opinion on tmo is ok but from what I read you're just arguing about solid facts and numbers

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I swear this is the only forum I go to that discusses astroturfing.

Sup with that?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@9000

Alrighty-o

Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Its your avatar ysss

@9000

Stating personal opinion on tmo is ok but from what I read you're just arguing about solid facts and numbers
lol this avatar is also known as 'coolface'

personally, I find the expression annoying as hell.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I swear this is the only forum I go to that discusses astroturfing.

Sup with that?
The psychological need to create black sheeps to take the blame of failure.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
I call BS on 30 apps running at once. Try opening 30 browsers windows at once, see what happens.
I just ran 16, 14 of them webpages, one an x-terminal, and one the MicroB bookmarks page. A lot of the webpages are flash-add heavy.

I also have a pretty heavy (for a constantly running status monitor, it barely inflates the CPU/RAM use of hildon-status-menu) clock style for advanced-clock-plugin - the entire thing is uncompiled python, so I'm just going to count python as a whole as 17 - especially since Python is also executing Advanced Power Monitor and Advanced Interface Switcher.

There's other stuff in the background, like syslogd, but that's minor stuff I'm not going to use.

Phones a bit hot, but beyond that, works nice. I'm not seeing lag in any of the webpages yet. There was tiny slow-downs on loading new pages, when the cookie-spam happens, and all the flash-add-crap-stew gets served, but I can browse each page without lag.

I thought about taking a screenshot from the N900 itself and posting this from it too, unfortunately, I have a combination of Hildon-Desktop configurations and hardware keyboard mapping that has canceled out the default Ctrl+Shift+[key] combinations. Normally I use the option of moving Ctrl+Shift+[key] to Ctrl+Fn+[key], but I needed it as is for working on my wallpaper which I want to check against a portrait-ized desktop, which I can only do using Ctrl+Shift+Fn+L, which doesn't work with that currently. It's a complicated cluster**** of mods for sure, but it works when I don't have it set wrong on purpose like I do now.

ANYWAY, point is, 17 programs + all the background crap, 15 of those browser windows with flash and other crap, and everything is still smooth.

Is that the 30 you wanted? No. I'm sorry but I'm not in the mood to humor you too much. That said, this is on an N900 that has recently developed an occasional spontaneous reboot, and has a bunch of devel crap installed and possibly making things worse/slower.

I know for sure this stuff is even faster/better when the system isn't loaded with background tasks and devel software. And at what point is that counter even relevant? Oh no, it might start slowing down before hitting 30 web pages? Even if it does, find me a phone that will run 10 flash-add and content -heavy pages without slowing down. Then calling out the 30+ thing makes sense - even if you ignore the fact that "apps" is very different from "separate web browser pages".

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ finland
had 24 different "windows" open in task manager.. after ~20 the phone was a bit sluggish..

apps that were open:
x-chat
conky
bookmarks page
microb
calendar
foreca weather
settings
media player
feeding it
wifieye
filebox
conversations
a single conversation
addressbook
faster app manager
calculator
xterminal
nokia maps
ansela
jenirok
freoffice
phone
fmms

Name:  Screenshot-20110309-102729.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  23.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot-20110309-102738.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  23.2 KB

edit. oh right.. OC:d to 850

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I just ran 16, 14 of them webpages, one an x-terminal, and one the MicroB bookmarks page. A lot of the webpages are flash-add heavy........blah blah

BIG LONG ESSAY ETC
Well, I'll humour you instead and I'll take your big fat boring essay and raise you one concise line.....

I just opened 30 web pages and my 2 month old phone is laggy as hell.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-03-09 at 20:56.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Well, I'll humour you instead and I'll take your big fat boring essay and raise you one concise line.....

I just opened 30 web pages and my 2 month old phone is laggy as hell.
Laggy isn't slow. It swaps, so it has a lot of lag, but once a page has been selected, it scrolls just fine and can be read in peace.

My N900 starts to feel the lag from the 4th window, but if I give it a second to swap, I can read/watch flash/type in a forum with little to no inconvenience.

So, which is it, slow or laggy?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Slow and laggy.

And battery hungry big time! with CPU running 100% it wont last longer then 1 ~ 2 hours. So the multitasking option to run 24 apps is sad and not useful.

The way android and apple fix this problem, maybe is not really multitasking, i know! but it sure works better to preserve battery and response time.

Things like webbrowsers, video playback and games shouldn't go further when minimized. there is no point to keep firing the ARM cpu 100% when not using these apps. these flash ads and commercials eat up the battery while the browser is minimized why?

Multitasking can be awsome in some situations but most of the time its just unuseful

Last edited by sygys; 2011-03-10 at 07:07.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Chennai
dude do tell them that the developers of this phone are crap & the phone is a great machine :P

Tags
bada rox, crane