Is it possible to connect an iPod 60GB with N810 as a external hard drive using USB port?

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Not sure about an iPod but my 30GB Zen works fine. Can the iPod work as a Mass Storage Device? If so then it should work ok.

Yes, I can use my iPod as a Mass Storage Device with Windows XP and it works just fine. I'm going to buy a N810 and i would like to use my iPod with my new device too.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Never tried it, but I don't see why not. Accessing the music files might be a little different because of how Apple structures the file system on the iPod.

Yeah, I really like to also get music from iPod without have to transfer all that songs, it should be great if it works. I have many things that i have saved on ipod and i usually use it. I use my iPod as a huge pen drive and i always carry this device to everywhere.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
I can't confirm right now, but I recall it NOT working by default, anyways. I have a standard OTG cable, but not with me ATM - it's either a simple kernel issue (ISTR that the iPod doesn't appear as a simple drive) which could be fixed by a custom kernel or some userland USB fiddling ("device xxxx:yyyy is of class generic drive! Really!" OR the OTG port doesn't supply enough current, in which case you either need a custom cable with the power pins broken out or a powered hub in between.

Once I'm back home I can try a powered hub with my OTG cable (note that a hub in OTG mode requires a modified kernel (whitelist disabled), too)

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Ok, I can now correct my previous post and say that the N800 (sorry, I don't have a N810) DOES work, with OTG cable to powered hub! (It's a 60G iPod video, FAT formatted, of course)

And it's even got the stock kernel! I guess I was wrong about the whitelist part, too!

Anyways, good news so I won't complain :-) (though having to use a hub is a tad annoying but that micro harddrive still sucks a lot of juice!)

It's a pretty good news, jthiemann!
Thanks to all!

One more doubt, jthiemann.
You said you've connected the iPod with a powered USB hub, right?
But the iPod doesn't has a self power supply? So, can I connect the N8*0 to iPod with a simple OTG cable without a power source?

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
That will not work since the N8X0 has a limitation on the current draw of clients while it is in host mode. Hence, the need for a powered hub.

That is how I use my 1.8" (Ipod) 60GB drive with my tablet.

Last edited by EIPI; 2009-10-28 at 10:38.

Tags
external hd, ipod, n810