I just got word from the service center that I get to choose between a n8 or e7 instead of my n900. I insisted on an n9 because of the similar OS but it was not possible.

I won't be going away as I like this community too much and I also still own a perfectly fine n800. Yet I'd like to thank all of those who put their time and effort into making the n900 what it was for me.

I'm at a loss right now to what phone should I go. I have a galaxy s2 from work and android failed to impress me, sure it has shinnyness and apps and gets the job done but to me it feels like an overemphasized palm pilot. same with the iphone. I won't be getting into windows either simply because they are the reason maemo/meego is no longer developed. So I'll keep the damn e7 as my phone until something closer to the hackish do-it-all attitude the n900 had comes along.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Can you get your N900 back and repair it?
What was wrong with it?
You could sell your E7 and buy a used N900 or an N9.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 112 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Bristol, UK
Pity you have not asked on forum, someone could have looked at it an maybe fix it for you... I'm curious what was wrong with it...
Flash Player v10.1 (faked to v12.1) is here!

Taking pre-orders for dual PolarCell battery (~3000mAh) with Mugen cover for £50
Get a free giffgaff Sim with £5 credit here! Also 250mins unlimited txts & internet for £10 PAYG!

Well, I'm pretty sure it was something with the mainboard. It was all ok when I left it one evening and was dead in the morning. First I thought it didn't charge but when I got home I tried charging it and it won't start.

I managed to eventually flash it (using a battery charged externally) and after a few flashes I managed to get it started - I mean black screen but I could hear the nokia chime.

At that point I was sure it's the screen so I hooked it up to the TV. I did get a picture but it was all colored lines and block - like a damaged graphics card in a pc would show.

Hooking it to usb also didn't work properly, it didn't appear as a normal device.

The service center confirmed it was the mainboard and they actually tried to locate a replacement for me, but after two weeks they gave up.

I don't know if they're going to send it back though...

I know I could sell the e7 but specifically because the n900 is plagued by hardware problems I wouldn't want to go trough the troubles of buying used ones. I know how I treated mine and still it broke. For now my embedded linux needs are catered nicely by the raspi.

The n900 was fun and unique and had a great effect on me. No phone after it made me want to buy it - so in a way it saved me a lot of money I walked the other day in a store to check out new phones and none that were on display (and that includes all the stars - galaxy s3, nexus, iphone 4s, htc one x) made me "really want it" - so I don't really care what phone I use - at least for now.

Regarding the N9 I tried to get it as a replacement but it was not possible. To buy it would feel silly for me. I bought the n800 when it was a niche hacker device. I bought the n900 well knowing that nokia will not upgrade or support it just on the promise that we as a community will help break ground for a new os and line of devices (meego). I still think that nokia shot themselves in the foot by dropping it, time will tell if I'm right, but to buy the n9 now would mean to turn the 4th cheek for a new slap from nokia and I would really feel stupid doing it.

Last edited by icebox; 2012-06-28 at 07:22.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
I know I could sell the e7 but specifically because the n900 is plagued by hardware problems I wouldn't want to go trough the troubles of buying used ones. I know how I treated mine and still it broke. For now my embedded linux needs are catered nicely by the raspi.
I don't think there are too many cases of hardware issues like yours.
Yes, the dreaded MicroUSB broken issue and occasional lose screen connections.

I do argee it's getting harder to find an N900 you know hasn't been overclocked or abused.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Originally Posted by icebox View Post
Regarding the N9 I tried to get it as a replacement but it was not possible. To buy it would feel silly for me. I bought the n800 when it was a niche hacker device. I bought the n900 well knowing that nokia will not upgrade or support it just on the promise that we as a community will help break ground for a new os and line of devices (meego). I still think that nokia shot themselves in the foot by dropping it, time will tell if I'm right, but to buy the n9 now would mean to turn the 4th cheek for a new slap from nokia and I would really feel stupid doing it.
Why is that so? As long as you buy the N9 with your eyes open, aware that the OS is reaching the end of its support from Nokia you are nobody's fool. Neither was your N900 supported by Nokia anymore.

After PR1.3 N9 users may be on our own but the OS is already wonderfully usable, there are lots of useful apps and the community will continue to pump out more. The N9 with its true multasking is still the closest you'll ever get to a N900. So take the more expensive option, hock it off on ebay and buy an N9. You won't regret it.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ india
[QUOTE=sixwheeledbeast;1228553]I don't think there are too many cases of hardware issues like yours.
Yes, the dreaded MicroUSB broken issue and occasional lose screen connections.

...now major problem among users is 'Telephony functions disabled'!