Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by caa View Post
No. There is a difference:

If an app is developed for IOS6, which doesn't use any of the features unavailable on that handset, then it can still run on the 3GS.

If an app is developed for WP8, it will never run on WP7.8.

That is a big difference.

I don't know how much more simply it can be explained.

Another myopic interpretation. 3GS will not get full ios6 experience. Period. This is not all about apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Unfortunately There is no other way for me to say it so I'm going to be rather frank here, what you said in the first two paragraphs is complete nonsense.

I'm not gung-ho about putting WP8 (NT) onto the Lumia, I couldn't care less for the Lumia range though I do sympathize with those who bought them, at the same time, as I already said, I don't blame them for not going back and putting NT on the current Lumia range. It would have required development time that they obviously and understandably did not deem as worth it, but lets not make any mistakes, the possibility is there.

I only wanted to set the record straight, that other reasons spreading around the internet that it isn't possible are bull, I wanted to do this before people start repeating it as fact. Since the launch of WP7 the amount of times I heard that WP7 was a complete rewrite was staggering and the amount of times that I tried to convince them it wasn't often fell on death ears. MS have a history of it, they like to muddy the waters with public statements. One other example right now: it seems it's difficult to convince people that the difference between WP7.8 and WP8 is not about one having hardware like dual-core or NFC (there are WP7 NFC phones already) yet that's what a MS statement led them to believe.

It's bull, WP7.8 could benefit greatly from native code support, those with NFC could benefit greatly from the wallet feature, they could benefit greatly from the shared Windows 8 core. Yet by that starting line alone people think that WP7.8 is basically WP8 only without NFC or dualcore. You will see it repeated everywhere I'm sure. It will be hard to convince these people that this is not the case too because often they don't understand the technical side of the discussion so to them it becomes a matter of who to trust only.

"MS + Random commenter #1 vs Random commenter #2"

they often pick (MS+random commenter #1) then they themselves become random commenter #1 in another thread repeating everything they heard.
There has been no spread reasoning about this. Everyone in the computing community knows NT cannot be squeezed onto an embedded C machine, can't be done, not on embedded C. This has been known for years, from every version of embedded c, NT, etc. This is NOT new news.

It is unfortunate that this was not explained to Lumia owners, but without this change in platform, there would be even more fragmentation across the boards...not there is isn't fragmentation. Look, you call it bull, fine, but know that this is not some epiphany, NT and embedded C were NEVER compatible within machines, all embedded machines are not able to take NT due to way too many conflicts.

I understand that you are very upset about this, but it has been known for years on all versions.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Another myopic interpretation. 3GS will not get full ios6 experience. Period. This is not all about apps.
For WP it is. WP7.8 will get the full WP8 "experience" but no WP8 apps. I even imagine the experience will be better on WP7.8. There's lots of things CE isn't, but it is light weight and easy going and it is a RTOS. NT is a monster in comparison, and at least on any X86 Windows pre 8, it has no realtime capabilities at all, the timing accuracy is non existent.

I don't know if Win RT, the "RT" stands for RealTime ? In any case I can't believe they just smacked a vanilla NT on a phone without some heavy modifications to cut off some weight and include some realtime capabilities. But will it be more fluent than WP7.X ? I doubt it. There is also the power management to consider where CE is top notch, which cannot be said about NT. WP8 may run fluent and nice - for two hours.

Originally Posted by Maemomd View Post
There has been no spread reasoning about this. Everyone in the computing community knows NT cannot be squeezed onto an embedded C machine, can't be done, not on embedded C. This has been known for years, from every version of embedded c, NT, etc. This is NOT new news.

It is unfortunate that this was not explained to Lumia owners, but without this change in platform, there would be even more fragmentation across the boards...not there is isn't fragmentation. Look, you call it bull, fine, but know that this is not some epiphany, NT and embedded C were NEVER compatible within machines, all embedded machines are not able to take NT due to way too many conflicts.

I understand that you are very upset about this, but it has been known for years on all versions.
I think I'm going to reply one more time and give up because this is wearing thin on me. I do not care for the Lumia range, didn't buy one, so I'm not upset about this at all. However you have promised me real technical information from your MS buddy twice now and I have yet to receive any. At the beginning you were saying Windows CE was unchangeable now you are saying a kernel cannot "fit" or has some kind of unresolvable "conflict" with this older hardware. I would just like to know what these apparent conflicts are that make you believe a kernel cannot be written for older hardware too. I'm certainly not expecting it to just work in the current and final state that MS have made it now, I'm asking why you believe it was technically impossible for it to have been written to support older hardware. I already know and stated why it was not practically possible because of development time and ROI but you still seem to believe it's technically impossible and promised to tell me why Windows CE cannot be replaced.

Instead I got yet another empty promise of official MS info from your buddy and some mumbling about closed source and Android open source, as if that makes any difference to MS. It's not like they do not have access to their own kernel source and drivers. The embedded C part was just nonsense. Just read it

but honestly with a closed system as is embedded C and NT, there are multiple conflicts when comparing the two, and with the limitations of embedded C on limited hardware, the only thing I saw that could go on a such a limited device is Android, which is only semi-open.
I mean, that's nonsense which contains no useful information at all and I think you are aware of it yourself already.
Then you started talking about OEM customization of ARM generations. The instruction set for the ARM devices are exactly the same between WP7 and WP8, namely ARMv7. It hasn't changed. All the WP7/8 phones are Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC, S2/3 and S4 though I'm not sure how relevant you think that is to a supposed technical conflict since kernel support is not mutually exclusive anyway.

So what I've been saying for the past 5-6 posts is that there is no technical boundary to it as you wrongly claim, it's merely a problem of time invested. That's all I have to say on this topic really.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by specc View Post
For WP it is. WP7.8 will get the full WP8 "experience" but no WP8 apps. I even imagine the experience will be better on WP7.8. There's lots of things CE isn't, but it is light weight and easy going and it is a RTOS. NT is a monster in comparison, and at least on any X86 Windows pre 8, it has no realtime capabilities at all, the timing accuracy is non existent.

I don't know if Win RT, the "RT" stands for RealTime ? In any case I can't believe they just smacked a vanilla NT on a phone without some heavy modifications to cut off some weight and include some realtime capabilities. But will it be more fluent than WP7.X ? I doubt it. There is also the power management to consider where CE is top notch, which cannot be said about NT. WP8 may run fluent and nice - for two hours.
RT=Runtime

WP7.8 will not get the full WP8 experience. It will be nowhere near it.

I think I'm going to reply one more time and give up because this is wearing thin on me. I do not care for the Lumia range, didn't buy one, so I'm not upset about this at all. However you have promised me real technical information from your MS buddy twice now and I have yet to receive any. At the beginning you were saying Windows CE was unchangeable now you are saying a kernel cannot "fit" or has some kind of unresolvable "conflict" with this older hardware. I would just like to know what these apparent conflicts are that make you believe a kernel cannot be written for older hardware too. I'm certainly not expecting it to just work in the current and final state that MS have made it now, I'm asking why you believe it was technically impossible for it to have been written to support older hardware. I already know and stated why it was not practically possible because of development time and ROI but you still seem to believe it's technically impossible and promised to tell me why Windows CE cannot be replaced.

Instead I got yet another empty promise of official MS info from your buddy and some mumbling about closed source and Android open source, as if that makes any difference to MS. It's not like they do not have access to their own kernel source and drivers. The embedded C part was just nonsense. Just read it

I mean, that's nonsense which contains no useful information at all and I think you are aware of it yourself already.
Then you started talking about OEM customization of ARM generations. The instruction set for the ARM devices are exactly the same between WP7 and WP8, namely ARMv7. It hasn't changed. All the WP7/8 phones are Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC, S2/3 and S4 though I'm not sure how relevant you think that is to a supposed technical conflict since kernel support is not mutually exclusive anyway.

So what I've been saying for the past 5-6 posts is that there is no technical boundary to it as you wrongly claim, it's merely a problem of time invested. That's all I have to say on this topic really.

First off, technical information was never promised, I emailed my msft buddies to see if they could release tutorials, which they are looking into. Secondly, all you keep repeating is squeezing nt on an embedded c environment with older arm v7 devices with lower specs, which cannot be done, like newer specced nt arm machines...it is as though you just keep repeating the same thing over to hopefully have it be able to come true. Keep repeating it my friend, and maybe the Balmer and Elop fairy will magically put nt on an old arm embedded device.

Hilarious how you keep believing that you can. You must really be quite upset about this nt and embedded c situation...did you consider emailing msft brass about this, then maybe you won't lose sleep over it?

Originally Posted by Maemomd View Post
Everyone in the computing community knows NT cannot be squeezed onto an embedded C machine
I don't think you know what you're talking about, and I'm not sure you know the difference between a kernel and an operating system. Please stop.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I don't think you know what you're talking about, and I'm not sure you know the difference between a kernel and an operating system. Please stop.
If you know these things, then explain it.

I don't know exactly what I am talking about. But NT on embedded? NT is designed for any kind of CPU, but not any kind of architecture. It requires PCI bus for instance. Without a PCI bus there is no way of doing the timing right for instance, well everything handled by the bus. NT has no mechanisms to handle any low level HW stuff that isn't supported by a standard bus. Very much unlike CE that is able to run on everything.

It's probably not impossible (WinRT obviously works), but a complete rewrite for every configuration would be needed. As I understand WP only runs on one particular architecture, and who knows what that looks like? I mean who on this board. Do you? The WP8 hardware architecture may very well be made to support NT, not the other way around. Probably a combination.

NT not being able to run on WP7 HW sounds more plausible than not to me. But what do I know? You are obviously such an expert, please explain.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
You forgot to add "programming language" to that list.

RT=Runtime

WP7.8 will not get the full WP8 experience. It will be nowhere near it.
What is "Runtime" supposed to mean here?

You don't know how the experience between WP7.8 and WP8 differs, so please don't pretend you do.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post: