Active Topics

Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Many speculations on SE and the enforcement of Emma.

downloaded from Emma.
Using Emma is the Windows-only step that we are getting worked up about. If Jolla documents and supports a Linux-based alternative, then there is no problem, however James Noori says that Emma is required. This means Windows is required: early experiments with Wine are not encouraging. This is not speculation: read James' comments on the Jolla blog again if you think that it is.

What we don't know is the level at which Sony enforces the requirement for Emma. If they have simply asked Jolla not to support/document a pure Linux method, a community-supported Linux method will still work and things are still kind-of OK. OTOH they may have required Jolla to somehow add an extra level of signing and/or key verification to the official SFOS X image so that it won't be installable without Emma. That would be seen as an unethical move, and probably as an open invitation to crack the security and find a way around it (I don't have the expertise, but other people who hang out around here probably do).

We will have to wait until the official release to find out what the situation really is of course, but like I said I'm glad that I don't have James' job.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
Android is Linux based.
technically, yes. But in reality, how exactly did linux (kernel) benefited from android being "linux"?
But my point was that they are so focused on the wrong thing IMO. I don't know if that's because of SONY or is just another of those silly ideas from Jolla but I don't see regular android user with windows machines discussing sailfish for X. Anywhere.
I know that I'll miss
Code:
sudo flasher-3.5 -F <firmware-image> -f -R
for a very looooong time because it can't be easier than that.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
I suspect that Windows in a VirtualBox under Linux will work. The only tricky thing is to configure the USB connected device to be handled by the VM rather than the host. But I got that working once for a Windows 10 VM on my Ubuntu laptop, for a USB security token, so it can be done.

You do need a Windows license to run Windows of course ..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
More importantly you have to trust it and all the software running on in, including the sony tools. Isn't that the bigger issue here?

I really find it difficult to believe that many fulltime Linux users would find it hard to get 15 mins use of a Windows box of some description for a suitably important task. It's more the principle that they don't want to and should not have to.

I have legitimate licenced Windows VMs running for various tasks where there is no alternative (except getting a different job). But if Sony and/or Jolla make a Windows based tool mandatory, then just on principle I think I will either stick to whatever community port is available, or stick my X on ebay

Last edited by epninety; 2017-09-29 at 10:48. Reason: typo

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
These images will expire in 90 days, straight from the horse's mouth.

Now, they are meant for web developing & testing so I cannot guarantee they can be used for flashing, but you never know.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
What is all this whining about Windows-only flashing?

If you look at https://github.com/mer-hybris/droid-...boot/flash.bat you would see that just recently (September, 26th a day before the blog announcement) a new commit for windows flashing hit the repository.

In that batch skript you would find in line https://github.com/mer-hybris/droid-...t/flash.bat#L7 a var set to Emma flashtool website.

A few lines later (https://github.com/mer-hybris/droid-.../flash.bat#L67) you will find that flash.bat will reference to Emma if your devices ASOP is < 34.3 which means you are running MM, but SFOS X requires initial Nougat (7.1.1) image. That recent image will be flashed by Emma and can be flashed by (inofficial) Linux-only tools, too.

The requirement is simply spoken to have a current Qualcom baseband and other device blobs in place to run SFOS X as a common base for all official images flashed to the device. Otherwise some might have MM (32.0.x) blobs installed leading to a faulty device with official image.

Additionally windows flashing will use fastboot.exe to flash boot, system and user partition compared to linux flash.sh which additionally flashes the cache partition with Android 6 properitary blobs which is not required by windows. This might be, because official Nougat has the right blobs by official flashing in place, but I am not sure about it.

Cheers,
Nek

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Nekron For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by caa View Post
You should read the recent twitter thread about Nokia (HMD Global) not unlocking the Nokia 8 bootloader.
Well, what can I say, except that HMDG is not Nokia.

I was not aware that the bootloader is unlockable, bummer
I sure hope they will come to their senses one day!

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
If you look at https://github.com/mer-hybris/droid-...boot/flash.bat you would see
And also they specify X Compact there! Seems like they'll make it official soon, too. Which is logical, since it's very similar to X HW-wise.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
I really find it difficult to believe that many fulltime Linux users would find it hard to get 15 mins use of a Windows box of some description for a suitably important task. It's more the principle that they don't want to and should not have to.
Yes, my point was that the VM option at least means you don't need to have a separate computer with a Windows host OS.

A dual boot configuration would also solve the issue of course.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
And also they specify X Compact there! Seems like they'll make it official soon, too. Which is logical, since it's very similar to X HW-wise.
Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhh

:: Ensure that we are flashing right device
:: F5121 - Xperia X
:: F5122 - Xperia X Dual SIM
:: F5321 - Xperia X Compact

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x