Active Topics

Closed Thread
In response to the concept of "just works". Just works is one of those irritating terms that people often use. To me it depends on how far narrow-band on broad-band you go.

For example, just-works can be applied to any ecosystem (Windows, Linux, OSX). Take the default unit, use whatever defaults are given to you. Given those rules, most systems will just work unless the system is designed to be on the bleeding edge (Fedora or Debian). Similarly, Maemo just works in this case. If you stick to the defaults (like extras) then you shouldn't have many problems at all. It's when you start adding repos that you introduce problems.

The iPhone is commonly seen as something that 'just-works' and indeed it's true if your sticking to Apple's rules. But even then not all software you install just works. And if you want to go against what Apple has said (perhaps to install an application that Apple has rejected) then your introducing problems that may or may not cause problems.

So just-works is something each user defines. For myself, my computers go through periods of where things just-works, then periods of things just-not working (my girlfriend gets annoyed at these times), and back to periods of just-working again.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
It's sad that you're not taking this opportunity to learn something. What exactly do you think you know that this community as a collective (IRC #maemo and maemo.org inclusive) doesn't already know about Nokia tablets? Don't bother, I'll answer that one: nothing. So what exactly has been your point? Again, read your title. This has been nothing but a car wreck from your first words. The exception is that the cops let the rubber-neckers get out and take a look. And some of us are still just sittin' here waitin' for the ambulance to show up.
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I have never respected the "original purpose" of troll threads. They've always been a place to goof around, trash talk, and make small talk.
Right on!

If a thread posts a simple question that received a simple answer or the consensus of the board is that the threads "original purpose" was counter productive, I concur.

This makes for some good entertainment. Especially when the OP and a first responder continue the argument...

>>Example<<

and

>>Example<<

I must admit I made an extra large bowl of popcorn and have enjoyed reading this thread...

I also found it educational and have now added useful terms like "Circle Jerk" to my vocabulary.

Keeping threads like this open also allows us to learn more about one another. For instance...

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
I like pie.

Tim
and

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
fun fact: i share my birthday with johnny appleseed!

(but he's not invited to my bday party [see tags])
I'm sure we are all better people for knowing these things.

One thing that I don't get in this whole discussion about talking boxes ("what the box said") and things that "just work" is : compared to what?

I mean, did the OP have a dream of some future device? Are his expectations the same that he has for his desktop computer or laptop? Is he comparing it to another device that may do some things better but can't do all the things a tablet can?

I think it is all relative to the task at hand.

If you use a gun to kill something you first have to first find the right size ammunition and load it correctly. A knife on the other hand... just works.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-04-01 at 13:25. Reason: speeeeeelling

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Right on!

If a thread posts a simple question that received a simple answer or the consensus of the board is that the threads "original purpose" was counter productive, I concur.

This makes for some good entertainment. Especially when the OP and a first responder continue the argument...

>>Example<<

and

>>Example<<

I must admit I made an extra large bowl of popcorn and have enjoyed reading this thread...

I also found it educational and have now added useful terms like "Circle Jerk" to my vocabulary.

Keeping threads like this open also allows us to learn more about one another. For instance...

and

I'm sure we are all better people for knowing these things.

One thing that I don't get in this whole discussion about talking boxes ("what the box said") and things that "just work" is : compared to what?

I mean, did the OP have a dream of some future device? Are his expectations the same that he has for his desktop computer or laptop? Is he comparing it to another device that may do some things better but can't do all the things a tablet can?

I think it is all relative to the task at hand.

If you use a gun to kill something you first have to first find the right size ammunition and load it correctly. A knife on the other hand... just works.
LOL, I'm on metaphor overload.

The most I've heard is "no ur dumb" or "no, you!"

Nobody has proven me wrong *factually*. Reason being is that there's a landslide of third party opinion waiting for us all to prove me right. It's just the entrenched users here who fail to understand I called the device out on it's weaknesses.

...just like countless others have. Even in this thread too!

Oh I agree that the nx00 devices have their weaknesses. Every mobile device has some weakness that can be pointed out. It's just that the one's you pointed out other people don't seem to share.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Nobody has proven me wrong *factually*.
Wow, this should be easier than 9th grade geometry.

If able to surf internet on n810
then n810 != totally useless

Okay, you're wrong. Now what?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Salem, VA
I called the device out on it's weaknesses.
"It's" is a contraction, short for "it is." So this reads, "I called the device out on it is weaknesses."

"Its" is a possessive pronoun, as in "that which belongs to it" where "it" in this case is the device.

"It's" is often incorrectly used where "its" should be used since its ("it's") contraction of "it is" is not possessive.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to russell_t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
LOL, I'm on metaphor overload.

The most I've heard is "no ur dumb" or "no, you!"

Nobody has proven me wrong *factually*. Reason being is that there's a landslide of third party opinion waiting for us all to prove me right. It's just the entrenched users here who fail to understand I called the device out on it's weaknesses.

...just like countless others have. Even in this thread too!
I'm glad you are having fun. I know I am.

BTW: Did your dream about "talking boxes" look anything like >>THIS<<

Just wondering.

It has been my experience that members of this board have gone out of there way in the past to answer questions. Even ones that have been asked and answered many times before.

In your first post you seem to be asking for help, not challenging the general membership to prove you wrong.

Originally Posted by You
...I'm forced to try and find whatever convoluted path other seemingly satisfied owners have followed to actually enjoy this ripoff.
To me ^this reads as if you believe that anyone who is satisfied is somehow deluded. Or with this statement
Originally Posted by you again
enable "the secret actually be responsive" mode
, members are somehow withholding valuable information from you.

Perhaps if you explained
Originally Posted by You, yet another time
slow mobile text mode demo web server
or provided a few links to examples, you may have gotten a positive response or two.

Just sayin'

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by russell_t View Post
"It's" is a contraction, short for "it is." So this reads, "I called the device out on it is weaknesses."

"Its" is a possessive pronoun, as in "that which belongs to it" where "it" in this case is the device.

"It's" is often incorrectly used where "its" should be used since its ("it's") contraction of "it is" is not possessive.
"John's house" is proper. "It's weaknesses" seems to make sense, except that it is not correct due to the irrationality of the English language. I personally use "it's" as the possessive in protest of the a fore mentioned irrationality. This guy gives you plenty of fodder, there is no need to go anal retentive over the grammatical irregularities of the language!

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
@kingka

the difference is, you actually seem like you would accept help.
I would, and I have. the canola dev team helped me out when I had issues. suck a wicked app. its brilliant. slow as hell to load, like everything else though. but that has since stopped working. I've had several issues with the program. I think I had run to them with issues about 4 times. each time they looked into it and helped me out, im just a little fed up, since I hardly watch vids on the thing anymore. and its still to big for taking to the gym, and to clunky to use as an all around mp3 player, I gave up asking around for help.

the gngeo guy helped me fix my initial issues with the program. but has since stopped wanting to help me. I realize people have lives. and this is not what they do 9-5. but we all rely on programs like this for the n810. and of course its selfish to expect to have someone around who is willing to help you when you need. but I'm constantly running back, trying to search for answers on the best way to install, upgrade this way, no... upgrade that way. etc. dunno if this even makes sense, but the n810 it self feels like a "beta" product to me now. any comments you have about any program. people will jump on you,...DUDE.. CAN'T YOU READ? ITS A ****IN BETA RELEASE.

I guess I'm passed that stage where I have the time to have to research work arounds are go through endless useless apps and games, trying to find something useful. and I now just need something that's pretty and works as shallow as it sounds. the n810 is like an ugly chick with a wicked personality, and if you stay with her in a longterm commited relationship you may start to find her more and more attractive, especialy after you find out what makes her tick and how to make her laugh. but I dont have that much time to invest in such a relationship... I'm looking for a hot girl that puts out after a couple of drinks.

also, what bothers me a bit is how numerous offers have been made to improve the quality of apps and games by people who are actually qualified UI designers, digital illustrators and graphic designers to collaborate on projects, but seemingly have been rejected. I know I'm not the only one who feels like 90% of what is available for the n810 seems like an after school project. and the funny thing is.... probably 60% of them ARE after school projects. not a big deal, I guess. Canola is on the right track in terms of quality of visual design and information architecture. I wish I could see more collaborations tis all.

meh....

Closed Thread

Tags
n810 is a ripoff, n900 is useless, nokia ripoff, not as advertised, paid too much, unresponsive