Active Topics

JPB,

I think the frustration stems from the continually changing story and the overall lack of information. As of now, Nokia reps can't give a specific date. For potential customers eagerly awaiting the device, there is nothing more frustrating. This isn't a pre-launch situation where the release date is uncertain as you might expect. The device has been officially launched and has shipped in some areas with orders already taken here in the US.

I think most people would agree that taking time to get things right is a good idea. The question here is what happened to allow for the 770 to be officially launched and then a delay arise? Is it a production line issue, is it a parts supply issue, is it a quality control issue, is it a delay to patch the firmware before it gets released en masse? By the way, if it is some hardware problem, I hope they have a plan to take care of all those customers who have already received theirs.

Yes, you could say Nokia is damned if they do and damned if they don't. It appears, however, that a delayed launch would have been the best course of action given their current inability to ship out many of the 770s. Overall, I think Nokia has handled the launch quite badly.

Personally, I won't be cancelling my order. However, I can see why some folks would. For some it may be lack of faith that the device will be released within a reasonable period of time or concern that it will still have the problems already documented. For others, it will be an expression of their displeasure towards Nokia for the whole mess. Regardless, it's a real consequence to having botched the launch and as I've said before, it could very well negatively impact the 770's long term success.

Jeff

Last edited by rgbyhkr; 2005-11-26 at 13:32.

I feel the same way ... If they gave US customers a official date and stuck with it, I would feel alot better about this product. However, they have launched it (officially) and are changing the shipping date every two weeks. The people on this forum are clueless on when to expect the device. For the people who need a product like this now, they are forced to search for other products (Since we don't know when/if the 770 will finally ship).

It's become a daily ritual for me now, logging into the Nokia site to check my order status. I don't know what I will do when (if) it ever changes from "Order is open". Will completely screw up my routine

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by TripleNickle
I am glad I cancelled mine
Yeah, we know. It's only the 5th friggen' time you've told us that. Give it a rest, willya?

Originally Posted by Remote User
Yeah, we know. It's only the 5th friggen' time you've told us that. Give it a rest, willya?
Actually, it may be the 4th time.....but I happy I cancelled. It looks like there are major issues to be resolved. I just wanted a 770 that works well like everyone else on this forum.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
With luck Nokia have slapped in an extra 64Mb of RAM, after using it for a few weeks it's clear it struggles on just 64Mb

Somone asked if it will be possible to upgrade the memory by piggybacking RAM chips - this is common with PocketPC devices - I would bite someones arm off if they offered this service in the UK! Launching this device with only 64Mb RAM is a big mistake IMHO - what would an extra 64Mb have cost, $2 tops?

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Actually, it may be the 4th time.....but I happy I cancelled. It looks like there are major issues to be resolved. I just wanted a 770 that works well like everyone else on this forum.
No, it was the 5th time, and this is the 6th. The first time you only TOLD us you were cancelling, you didn't mention how glad you were about it.
If you've cancelled you aren't getting one so how is it that you can say you just want one that works? It's a non-sequitor.

Actually, it may be the 4th time.....but I happy I cancelled. It looks like there are major issues to be resolved. I just wanted a 770 that works well like everyone else on this forum. :D
Dear TripleNickle:

Thank you for finally providing me the impetus to register. Now I can add you to my ignore list.

Your pal,

Etaoin

Originally Posted by Etaoin Shrdlu
Dear TripleNickle:

Thank you for finally providing me the impetus to register. Now I can add you to my ignore list.

Your pal,

Etaoin
No problem. Happy Holidays! You made my list as well.

Originally Posted by bigboote
Interesting you'd say that - I was just going to suggest that we start a "Nokia conspiracy theory" thread.

People could post their favorite theories, and we could while away the dark days (weeks?, months?) discussing the pros and cons of each.

Now, where's my tinfoil hat gone to?
I once worked for a company that was producing a new line of fiber optic equipment. Two problems: We were having interference problems with one of the boards in the device & The Company had contracts to deliver by a certain date. I watched as the device was sent back and forth between assembly and testing trying to come up with a quick fix to solve the problem eventually It was solved by individually hand soldering wires to make the device ground better. This was not pretty. But that couldn’t be Nokia's problem Good sakes it would take months to hand solder all those devices .