Active Topics

Notices

Dammit!
I used iplayer this morning (8 hrs ago) and it was fine. Anyone else have a problem? Might be flash 10 ?

Edit:
Symptom: main iplayer diverts to "mobile not supported"
Cause: iplayer site uses annoying browser-detect. BBC knows of our existance but not what we can do!
(a) To view iplayer site, User Agent must be set to Firefox for X11-armel, not default Maemo Browser.

Symptom: Content player is not visible on main iplayer site, even wiith flash tweaker set to 10.2. (Reason for initial post)
Cause: Problem caused by BBC forcing users to install flash 10.1+. Our flash version < 10.1 so we just see a black space.
Workarounds: Go to www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen - it's designed for consoles using flash 7. Radio works (128kbps only). Video stream is 800kbps so too high for N900.

Symtom: 400kbps (400x224 flashlow) stream is not retrievable using get_iplayer
Cause: BBC stopped hosting this stream.
Workaround: Fixed (8th Dec 2011); 400kbps is back online. It cannot be viewed on the website, only via get_iplayer.

Last edited by demolition; 2011-12-10 at 08:02.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Sorry my crystal ball is on the blink, maybe you could expand a little?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:
There has been a recent update to BBC iPlayer. That might be causing the problem. Whatever your problem is.

The Following User Says Thank You to xRobby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
As long as I switch the browser user agent, it still works for me. Never works in stock MicroB anymore.

Apologies for not being clearer.
Problem: The portion of a page on the iplayer site that contains the flash is not visible.
Steps leading to problem:
I wanted to use iplayer (e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ay_24_10_2011/) , as I had done just a few hours previously. However, the flash part of page didn't load. My assumption was that it was because the BBC are now actually using flash 10 features, thus tweaker wouldn't work.
Settings:
Tweak-flash version: AND 10 1 61 0
UA string: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux armv7l; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
JS pausing: After 15 seconds

Question: can anyone else still use iplayer on his/her N900? (without using get_iplayer) - If so, what settings do I need to apply?

Screenshot below...
Attached Images

Originally Posted by demolition View Post
...Question: can anyone else still use iplayer on his/her N900? (without using get_iplayer) - If so, what settings do I need to apply?
I just got this by going to www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

I then redirects to www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/tv, which I didn't want

Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
I just got this by going to www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

IMG

I then redirects to www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/tv, which I didn't want
In this case, your need to change the UA string with "Hide User Agent" to the one above. Although it's in -devel, it's stable but not that user friendly because you need to type/paste in the UA string instead of picking one from a list.

Originally Posted by demolition View Post
In this case, your need to change the UA string with "Hide User Agent" to the one above. Although it's in -devel, it's stable but not that user friendly because you need to type/paste in the UA string instead of picking one from a list.
Which is why I have always steered clear of it.

I have always used a get_iplayer script to download vids to view at a later time.
I always concidered the live site to be to much of a pain to use as it always over stretches the flash player so flattens the battery to quickly.

The Following User Says Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
Which is why I have always steered clear of it.

I have always used a get_iplayer script to download vids to view at a later time.
I always concidered the live site to be to much of a pain to use as it always over stretches the flash player so flattens the battery to quickly.
All valid points. Generally, I use get_iplayer for tv/video and web for radio/audio. Why? The video playback is better even with --mode=flashlow (400kbps) because it's not an over-clocked device. But, for radio it seems a lot of content isn't 'seen' by get_iplayer, even when it's still on the website.

I would like to be able to watch and listen to streams without going through all the steps to download it. And, what upsets me most is that we're now prevented from accessing content that the N900 can actually play (probably politics!).

Edit:
Ahhh... this partially solves it - big screen (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/) still works. Guess they've got to cater for flash 7 on the Wii? I find the video stream doesn't resize down to the 400kbps one needed for us, like the proper website/console version does.

Ideas anyone?

Last edited by demolition; 2011-10-25 at 10:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Didn't know that get_iplayer didn't see all radio, I found it can see more TV than the web, but I don't listen to BBC radio.
Have you tried get_iplayer and podcasts to see if they moved what you wanted to a podcast, there can be many thousands of podcasts

The Following User Says Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post: