Posts: 23 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Los Angeles
I got my Google Voice invitation a few weeks ago, and immediately started tinkering with it. I'm really pleased with how I've set things up, and I've posted some tutorials to my blog. I've put links to the tutorials in my signature in case anyone is interested.

First, I set up my N810 to be a free wifi phone using Google Voice, Gizmo Project, the built in Internet Call client, and the DialCentral app.

Then, I remembered that I still had my old Sunrocket analog telephone adapter (ATA) laying around (I signed up with them one month before they went belly-up). I unlocked it using the Live CD method, configured it with my Gizmo settings, and set it up with my old landline phone. Google Voice is now my home phone number. Free incoming calls through Gizmo, and free outgoing calls using DialCentral on the tablet.

Today, I discovered that Gizmo Project now has Google Voice integration. You can put your GV account credentials in, and make free calls directly from a phone connected to an ATA configured with your Gizmo settings. So I now have free incoming and outgoing calls, and my GV number is the outgoing caller ID number. It's better than the service I used to pay for, and it's free. Also, incoming caller ID works when I use the ATA.

My ATA supports up to 2 phone lines, so when another GV invite arrived, I set my wife up with her own GV account and phone. We each now have a private home phone line and can call anywhere in the US without using cell phone minutes or paying a monthly fee.

Like I said, if anyone is interested in trying this out, the tutorials are below in the sig. I hope this is helpful.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
gizmo client software > internet call.

It's more reliable (Both sides of the call hear the other every time).

btw your detailed steps thread was the bomb diggity.

The only problem with Gizmo client software is you have to remember to keep it running. With internet call it's a background process.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
The only problem with Gizmo client software is you have to remember to keep it running. With internet call it's a background process.
Ya, that's sort of a pain, but it beats having to hang up and retry the call multiple times. With internet call, sometimes i wouldn't hear anything, or sometimes i heard the person on the other end but they didn't hear me. I'd have to retry the call 2 or 3 times before I could establish a call that worked.

I haven't had that problem yet with Gizmo client.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Sorry i'm late to this party,

well with all the excitement i had for GV, then to get my invite, it was to my amazement that once i tried to access it, i was given the message that stated; since I'm not in the US (staioned in Korea for the next few months but will return in Jan) currently i cant use it.

So do any of you know how i can use the other programs to make and receive calls sing my n810... i currently use skype on my laptop but the tablet makes for way better mobility on the go.

side note- I tried using gizmo but i cant get the hand of it as easily as skype, if anyone can shed a bit of light on it for me i would appreciate it. oh and has anyone had an issue with their gtalk contacts, i dnt see them any more ( just the friends that actually had accounts but other non google friends are the only visible) i thought it might be due to GV.

Thanks,

Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
So do any of you know how i can use the other programs to make and receive calls sing my n810... i currently use skype on my laptop but the tablet makes for way better mobility on the go.
The Skype client for the N810 has less functionality than PC Skype, but it works very well. Well enough that there is more than one person in this community using it as their main phone line.

Joe.

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Ya, that's sort of a pain, but it beats having to hang up and retry the call multiple times. With internet call, sometimes i wouldn't hear anything, or sometimes i heard the person on the other end but they didn't hear me. I'd have to retry the call 2 or 3 times before I could establish a call that worked.
I had the same problem with the built in client, but found a simple solution to get it to work perfectly every time. Just leave it open and minimized (just like what you are doing with Gizmo but a lot more lightweight) and it works perfectly every time. Another guy on in this forum found that when he can't hear the other person, he just adjusts the sound down and back up and suddenly he can hear them. I don't know why it does this but I still prefer it a lot over the Gizmo software that has a whole lot of other stuff that I don't want.
And when I go from wifi hotspot to wifi hotspot it logs in automatically when my tablet gets a IP address(something that my skype program never did and I'm not sure if Gizmo does either).

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post

I haven't had that problem yet with Gizmo client.
Ah, I've found that to be a router issue sometimes. But yeah opening up the Gizmo client to make outgoing calls works. Then just let internet calling take care of inbound calls.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
well with all the excitement i had for GV, then to get my invite, it was to my amazement that once i tried to access it, i was given the message that stated; since I'm not in the US (staioned in Korea for the next few months but will return in Jan) currently i cant use it.
You can use GV in Korea, I use it in Germany for 2 years already:

Markus Göbel's Tech News Comments: Google's GrandCentral now also in Germany (Monday, July 16, 2007)

You need an US IP number, but it's only necessary to complete the signup process an choose your phone number. After it you can forward it to any Gizmo5 account in the world. So you now have two options:
1.) Play with Proxies and get a temporary US IP number for the signup process
2.) Let your friends in the US complete the process for you.
#2 is much easier, since those fake proxies are very slow and it seems that Google can detect Tor proxies now. At least I got the impression from my experiments. But for #2 you have to trust your Google password to another person, at least temporarily until you change it again.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Originally Posted by mgoebel View Post
You can use GV in Korea, I use it in Germany for 2 years already:

Markus Göbel's Tech News Comments: Google's GrandCentral now also in Germany (Monday, July 16, 2007)

You need an US IP number, but it's only necessary to complete the signup process an choose your phone number. After it you can forward it to any Gizmo5 account in the world. So you now have two options:
1.) Play with Proxies and get a temporary US IP number for the signup process
2.) Let your friends in the US complete the process for you.
#2 is much easier, since those fake proxies are very slow and it seems that Google can detect Tor proxies now. At least I got the impression from my experiments. But for #2 you have to trust your Google password to another person, at least temporarily until you change it again.

Thanks a lot, It crossed my mind once about #2 but i wasnt sure if it would work for me after the fact, and #1 was the first thing i tried as soon as i got the message, it wasnt even falling for it...

so you say to get a friend to set it up and every thing as far as the getting the number, then i will be able to use it here?

if this works i really appreciate the help! i thought i was done until i got back.

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-07-26 at 21:35.

Tags
free phone service, gizmo, google voice, sunrocket