Active Topics

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Gemini PDA FAQ :
What keyboard layouts does the keyboard support?
The keyboard layouts that we plan to support as part of the crowd fund are: English (UK/US), French, German, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Japanese, Chinese and Dvorak. For any other languages, please contact us.

What Linux distribution will Gemini run?
We are currently talking to a few companies representing different Linux flavours and we are considering a number of options but the decision has not been taken yet. We are also taking into accounts comments from the backers into consideration, including Sailfish & Ubuntu OS, which have been suggested several times.
Nice to see Planet Computers is listening backers and communities about keyboards and Linux distributions.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Wow!
Thank you for your comment. We met with Sailfish at MWC. Watch this space.
They not only met with Jolla, they have already been assimilated!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
one of those sets of questions was mine.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
A commentary was posted right now at the indiegogo page that is very important imho. The answers are very important i think, please be careful about this project.

"I am very exited about this product, but my excitement is tempered by two things:
- Your CEO is affiliated with another Indiegogo project, the ZX Spectrum Vega Plus project, which has not been delivered to date, what is his role in that project? And
- You do not seem to have a working prototype and are being vague about Linux support. As I understand it, Linux support for the processor chosen is non-existent or very bad."

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ravelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
I just looked at the ZX Spectrum Vega Plus project, they planned delivery in September 16. As we all know, building custom hardware with a small team is very difficult, so they may be honest.
Their backers are very hostile, they would not motivate me to work faster.

Starting another campaign in this state does not increase my trust in them. They may plan to use the funds to finish the ZX Spectrum Vega and the revenue from that to fund the Gemini.

I would suggest waiting. The project is funded, so they will start and in the worst case one will get the device one or two months later then the backers.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ravelo View Post
A commentary was posted right now at the indiegogo page that is very important imho. The answers are very important i think, please be careful about this project.

"I am very exited about this product, but my excitement is tempered by two things:
- Your CEO is affiliated with another Indiegogo project, the ZX Spectrum Vega Plus project, which has not been delivered to date, what is his role in that project? And
- You do not seem to have a working prototype and are being vague about Linux support. As I understand it, Linux support for the processor chosen is non-existent or very bad."
Yea I've noticed how GPD Laptop developers keep answering like "sorry we won't implement this because we are afraid of delaying the release" on questions about GSM module / camera / keyboard backlight / et cetera, especially concerning the certifications required to add the GSM module, and how Gemini PDA developers keep answering like "yes of course we will implement this" on almost every question, implying they will get all required certifications in time.
Also worth mentioning that the first team has some experience and released several devices already, and the second team has no experience nor working prototypes yet.
Anyway I've backed the Gemini PDA and hope for the best.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meego_leenooks1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Marshall Banana View Post
Can somebody enlighten me what's the point of this design?
One low power co-proccessor for standby-stuff i could understand, but what's this good for:
2x Cortex A72 @2.5GHz
4x Cortex A53 @2.0GHz
4x Cortex A53 @1.55GHz

If i run a webserver on my pocket-computer or do heterogenous supercomputing?

Or is it for power management?
This confuses and interests me also. This goes a little bit offtopic, but I have been wondering nowadays' Android phones with 8-core processors etc.

I have no knowledge at processors/threads/strings/whatever, but I do remember when AMD published the first 6-cores for gaming. It was said that only some few programs really know what to do with those six cores. And I remember some performance tests where AMD 4-core processors performed better than otherwise identical 6-cores.

Many things may have changed from those times, but every time I read about a device having 8-core processor or even multiple processors, I start wondering. So the question is: Can an Android device really put all those processors and cores to good use? I guess it also depends on what you do with that device. For example do you get the benefits of multiple cores only when multitasking or heavy gaming, or does it also give energy savings and longer usage time?

Last edited by Koiruus; 2017-03-05 at 14:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Marketing...
It's hard to sell core type/performance when average user have zero idea what is that but even that uneducated user knows that 10 is bigger than 8 and that 12 is bigger than 10 and that 2.5GHz is more than 2.3Ghz.
While A53, A72, A...... that sound like type of vitamins to them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Two thin shirts insulate better than one thick one. Likewise two slow CPUs might perform better than a single fast one

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
For me, the question is whether the two OSs will be equals with respect to accessing the h-w devices: gps, camera etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post: