Active Topics

Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
It seems they are reading TMO, there is an update

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...e#/updates/all

Last edited by Jordi; 2017-11-09 at 16:47. Reason: Link added

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comm...op_Environment

I would really like to get this running on a Gemini pda.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Gemini mass production has started!
Feb 1, 2018 • 2:02PM
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Gemini launch - Linux update
We are really excited to say that at the moment we have the following Linux distributions fully or partially running on the Gemini:
* Debian
* Sailfish OS
* Ubuntu 17.04
* Postmarket OS (an experimental version running Hildon UI – may look familiar to MeeGo/Maemo users)
Yes, they are all running on the Gemini today!

We are also now confirming that we will be opening the source code for the Linux kernel and the boot loader for the Gemini.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2018-02-19 at 17:41.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Lets see.. I don't trust them.... If this item has really the keyboard of 5MX and is capable of running SailfishOS - i will buy it. Bot not until it is on the market....

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
And the userspace drivers? Still vdry skeptical.
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
We should see in about a week, during the MWC, at which level each of those linux flavors are already running on the device :
Nikita will be joining us at our stand at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona (Hall 7 stand 7K40) and he will be showing some of the Linux version at out Linux showcase next week.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I don't know to what extent it's working, but at least looking at the pictures feels good.

The thing is it's more expensive than my 13" laptop with real keyboard and screen, i5, 8 GB RAM, dual SSD and a GPU fully working under Linux, which is admittedly not the same use (I know) but I still feel more comfortable spending this much in a laptop. Of course the price of the Gemini is not shocking when you compare it to Samsung or Apple flagships, but high enough to hesitate. What I don't like is you can only use it as a clam shell, no phone call without opening it (except with voice command but it will likely be exclusive to Android), and no comfortable thumb typing either to type when walking.

However, it's very nice to see that they considered Sailfish and even Postmarket OS (so good to see good ol' Hildon on a recent device; I thought the same when I saw Maemo-Leste) to the point that it seems to run at least partially on the device. I wonder if the Gemini wouldn't be one of those devices Jolla was teasing in some blog posts lately. Both companies know about some overlap between their potential users, so it would be nice to see if this Sailfish is official or a port (unless I missed something, the pictures do not show, I can't see any Android icon on the homescreen). My personal undocumented belief is it's only a port though.

Also, here are some additional information from TheKit (who I assume is the same person as our TMO member) on what is currently working, although not official: http://developer.planetcom.co.uk/sho...d=5&pid=6#pid6

What definitely works is display, sound, Wi-Fi, keyboard, touch. SailfishOS also has calls, SMS messages, 3G/4G data and camera.
I am curious about the drivers and kernel too now.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-02-20 at 10:13.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
What kind of keyboard switches are they using, those keys look almost big enough to hide some Cherry blues.
(edit) I looked at more pix, I am pretty sure there is no room for mechanical key switches.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: