Active Topics

Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It is a GPU feature to accelerate the rendering of 3D scenes on a 2D screen. I am not aware of any use case other than in some action games.
Or any Qt application using QtQuick (so most touch enabled apps, like on SailfishOS). Some information can be found on their blog, for example : https://blog.qt.io/blog/2017/01/18/o...p-using-today/

The GPU is a very complex beast containing a lot of different subsystems, some dedicated to 2D, 3D, video decoding, etc... but as Qt expects OpenGL(ES), I understand that it is the 3D subsystem that is needed. (A new software renderer is now available, but is not related to the question, so I won't go further on it).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Cool. I am learning something new every day.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Running Debian.
Upgraded to Helio X27.
Downgraded battery to 42mAH

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...otype_handson/

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
It would be helpful to know if the battery is still supposed to be removable (that's a big thing for me...).

Hoping someone who can comment on the Indigogo page asks the question. If you're a backer, feel free to take that as a hint

Edit: also, seems like a sketchy proposition charging 100 USD more for the sim version if all versions can run esims. Could that be a misunderstanding?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
I was wondering about the esim too,

$299 for the wifi version is still the early bird price, long gone for the cellular version.

Update - Dave potter has joined as honorary chairman.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Sep 12, 2017 • 3:01PM update:

Our aspiration was for the Gemini to have an 8000 mAh battery.

We could not fit the 8000 mAh battery in the dimensions we set for the device, as one of our backers noticed early on in the campaign.
Keeping the aspiration of 8000 mAh we tried to find the largest off the shelf removable battery that would fit the device. We were finding batteries with capacity of around 3000 mAh and this was not satisfactory.

We proceeded to look at other solution making the battery replaceable, but not removable in the sense of not requiring any device maintenance.

In the end we decided to create our own custom battery that can fit the space.

The battery is not removable, but is replaceable. Having a removable battery would make the device thicker and we did not want that either. The battery can be replaced, as it plugs in neatly into the side PCB. Replacement batteries will be available.

The battery size has been measured at 4220 mAh and we are yet to do the final longevity tests (talk time and standby time)

Even at 4220 mAh, the Gemini regular battery is still one of the largest batteries on a mobile phone device.

We are still keen to cater for an even larger battery and we are considering to introduce an large battery add-on that would come with a thicker base cover to cater for the larger battery volume, making the dimensions of the device much thicker.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
Running Debian.
Upgraded to Helio X27.
Downgraded battery to 42mAH

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...otype_handson/

For this prototype they have reused the Psion Series 5/5mx Keyboard. Its visible very clear on the Fn-Key. But they also modified some keys and printed new icons on it...
cool

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
That is one helluva battery downgrade. Yikes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
That is one helluva battery downgrade. Yikes.
In absolute terms, you are right - but in the end, what matters is how many hours of average intensity use is given by the installed battery. It needs to be 8 hours minimum IMO, ideally 12. Or what?

HA

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
For me, I think the number of hours it can remain in 'instant on' standby would be a more useful figure of merit. I don't imagine frequently using one for hours on end, but being able to use it for 10 mins at a time several times a day, and not needing to charge daily - that would be attractive (weekly maybe?)

A keyboard as good as a Psion5 would be a very big draw for me. It's very tempting, but between the GPD Pocket and Chens promised 'Lauta' homage, I don't think Gemini are going to get my money.

Last edited by epninety; 2017-09-14 at 21:41. Reason: insert words until it makes sense

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post: