Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Busybox-power has made its way to Harmattan! It follows the same concept as busybox-power for Fremantle (N900): providing an enhanced shell replacement for Maemo, based on the latest upstream BusyBox release. Backwards compatibility with the stock binary is of paramount importance; both Nokia's patchset and default configuration have been reviewed and checked against upstream's BusyBox.

Busybox-power for Harmattan works on Harmattan-based devices in Normal mode, Open mode and Patched Open mode.

Functionality included
This package wouldn't be called busybox-power if it didn't have extra functionality. The BusyBox binary in the package has been compiled with support for way more features and utilities than the stock busybox. Besides extra features like swap priority support in swapon, colored ls output and more useful help texts, the following extra utilities are included in addition to those which are also in the stock BusyBox shell:

bunzip2 bzcat bzip2 cpio cttyhack dnsdomainname dumpkmap ed fbset fdflush hush ipaddr iplink iproute iprule mountpoint mt nc pipe_progress popmaildir pscan usleep groups users setserial blkid blockdev bootchartd crond fdisk ifenslave iptunnel klogd loadkmap logread makedevs mdev nbd-client raidautorun setconsole sulogin vconfig zcip findfs adjtimex arping base64 beep brctl cal catv chpst chrt cryptpw dc devmem diff dos2unix dumpleases eject envdir envuidgid ether-wake fdformat fgconsole flock freeramdisk ftpget ftpput hexdump ionice iostat ipcalc last linux32 linux64 loadfont lpd lpq lpr lzcat lzma lzopcat makemime man microcom mkpasswd mpstat nmeter patch readahead reformime resize rev rpm rpm2cpio rtcwake runsv runsvdir rx script scriptreplay setarch setfont setuidgid showkey smemcap softlimit strings sv svlogd tcpsvd telnet tftp timeout ttysize udhcpc udpsvd unix2dos unlzma unlzop unzip uudecode uuencode volname wall wget [ ar whois pstree pwdx crontab traceroute traceroute6 vlock acpid addgroup adduser arp chat delgroup deluser dhcprelay fakeidentd ftpd hdparm httpd ifplugd inetd lspci ntpd rdate rdev readprofile sendmail sha256sum sha512sum telnetd tftpd tunctl udhcpd watchdog dnsd sha3sum

There is a screenshot a little bit further down this post which shows all utilities included in busybox-power.

Where to download
You can get busybox-power from MohammadAG's incepted repository. Once you've got that repository set up on your device, you can install busybox-power by executing:
Code:
apt-get install busybox-power
If you're running a patched Open Mode kernel to neuter aegis, you may want to install busybox-power-noaegis instead of the regular package. This variant does not depend on aegisctl, which would otherwise be an useless dependency. It is available from the same repository as the regular busybox-power package.

Dependencies
Busybox-power for Harmattan depends on aegisctl* and meego-confirm-text. You'll need to install these applications prior to installing busybox-power itself, otherwise it'll abort installation. Meego-confirm-text is also available from RzR's Harmattan shared repository. If you've got that repository set up (e.g. via MeeCatalog), meego-confirm-text will be automatically installed when trying to install busybox-power.

* Since itsnotabigtruck's site is down, you'll need to source aegisctl elsewhere. One mirror I know of is from rcolistete: link & source of that link.

Warning
This package replaces an essential system binary during installation, namely /bin/busybox. BusyBox has an essential (or better: critical) role in Harmattan. If something does goes wrong during (un)installation, you'll probably have to reflash your device. This warning will also be given during first time installation of busybox-power.

A lot of care has been put into testing the package. I am currently not aware of any regressions or other bugs in busybox-power for Harmattan. However, the software is new and should therefore be approached with extra care. Please back-up your valuable data before installing it.

For those who automate the installation of Debian archives on their devices: touching /tmp/.bbp-unattended prior to installing busybox-power will suppress the first-time installation warning.

Development, bugtracking and news
Busybox-power's garage page contains everything development related, from source control to compiled archives and alternative builds (when applicable). Don't forget to incept busybox-power builds or install them with AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN=com.nokia.maemo if you plan to install archives manually.

Screenshots

Last edited by iDont; 2013-01-27 at 19:40.

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
<Reserved post, might come in useful in the future>

The Following User Says Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Great work, iDont. Works perfectly on my PR1.3 16GB N9.

Now, how about a package for users with neutered Open Mode and don't want to install aegisctl because it's unecessary?

Not to sound condescending, but it's a suggestion. I just feel a bit iffy about having to install a package that only satisfies a simple install script check.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Great work, iDont. Works perfectly on my PR1.3 16GB N9.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Now, how about a package for users with neutered Open Mode and don't want to install aegisctl because it's unecessary?

Not to sound condescending, but it's a suggestion. I just feel a bit iffy about having to install a package that only satisfies a simple install script check.
Heh, I knew this was going to be asked . Well, I suppose I could do a busybox-power-noaegis package or something alike, if MohammadAG doesn't mind pushing two versions to his repository every release. I'll keep you updated on this one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
YES! this is what i was looking for last week.
little problems during the installation though:
package busybox-power: denied 'CAP::sys_module' - origin '' does not allow it
package busybox-power: denied 'tcb' - origin '' does not allow it
aegisctl: Operation not permitted (do you have the right credentials)
this was printed after dpkg -i <meego-confirm-text>

(stock kernel, inception, aegisctl)

after incepting downloaded busybox package manually, all seems good for now.

The Following User Says Thank You to koe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by koe View Post
YES! this is what i was looking for last week.
little problems during the installation though:

this was printed after dpkg -i <meego-confirm-text>

(stock kernel, inception, aegisctl)
Hmm, it seems like the incepted repository didn't get the required elevated privileges on your device. Did you incept MohammadAG's incepted repository enabler?

Originally Posted by koe View Post
after incepting downloaded busybox package manually, all seems good for now.
Glad to hear that . Only thing is that you won't receive automatic updates this way, as the package doesn't originate from a repository.

yep, my bad, Mohammad's repos was installed with Schturman' N9QT script, and probably not incepted.
thanks.

@Hurrian (and other Patched Open mode users)

I've uploaded busybox-power-noaegis to the files section in busybox-power's garage page. This variant does not depend on aegisctl. It's not available from the incepted repository yet, so you'll have to install it manually. Don't forget to export AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN when installing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Thanks iDont!

Unfortunately it can't be tested now as garage for some reason seems to give a 500 error when attempting to download anything...It is universal as other project pages also have the same issue...

Also, for open mode users we don't need to install meego-confirm-text right?

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Thanks iDont!

Unfortunately it can't be tested now as garage for some reason seems to give a 500 error when attempting to download anything...It is universal as other project pages also have the same issue...
Yeah, I've noticed that too. A temporary download link to the relevant files has been added to the OP.

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Also, for open mode users we don't need to install meego-confirm-text right?

Thanks!
meego-confirm-text is unfortunately still required. We don't only depend on it to show a warning during first time installation (which applies to both Normal and Open mode users), but also to display information when uninstalling busybox-power if applicable*.

I'd be happy to replace meego-confirm-text with something already shipped with Harmattan by default, but AFAIK there is no such thing. The N8xx and N900 do ship with meamo-confirm-text by default.

* there are a few checks in our prerm script to verify in what state the installed busybox binary and its backup are. You should pass all of them, unless you've been playing around with BusyBox yourself ; - )

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post: