Brainstorm-link: http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...file_selection

In my opinion a "Profile" must be more for a smartphone than selecting ringtones.

What I am looking for are Meta-Profiles, like this:
  • Select Home
    • Set 2G
    • Select Online Availability (with internal SIP account)
    • Select Home Ringtones
  • Select Car
    • Select Bluetooth
    • Set 2G
    • Set Bluetooth Volume 100%
    • Set Car Online Availability with Geo Tagging
  • Select Office
    • Select Office Ringtones
    • Startup Openvpn
    • Set 2G (because WLAN is used for net)
    • Set Online Availability (with internal SIP via OpenVPN)
  • Select Outside with 3G
    • Set 3G
    • Startup OpenVPN
    • Set Outside Availability (with SIP via OpenVPN)
    • Set Outside Ringtones
  • Select Silent Outside
    • Set 2G
    • Disable net
    • Outside Ringtones

... and so on. For example changing from Office to Car needs changing Bluetooth, disabling OpenVPN, changing Availability (and changing geotagging). It could be done with just one Meta-Tap. If there are some Geo/WLAN detect... tricks you may need zero Taps of course.

Last edited by chemist; 2010-04-19 at 16:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
You can use Tweakr for that. HTH
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Originally Posted by grog View Post
You can use Tweakr for that. HTH
Sorry, but...

... you cannot! You can switch between different ringtone profiles. You cannot switch bluetooth states, IM states, OpenVPN or other Tunnel stuff, GSM states with one click at a time (a block of all these parameters).

Last edited by cy8aer; 2010-04-14 at 20:34.

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
Sorry, but...

... you cannot! You can switch between different ringtone profiles. You cannot switch bluetooth states, IM states, OpenVPN or other Tunnel stuff, GSM states with one click at a time (a block of all these parameters).
My apologies. Didn't read thoroughly enough.
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
This would be extremely useful! The "profiles" on the N900 is a joke really...

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
What you describe seems like ActMan, however it would need a pretty UI and maybe some fiddling with to automatically start commands.

Originally Posted by Patola View Post
What you describe seems like ActMan, however it would need a pretty UI and maybe some fiddling with to automatically start commands.
IMHO ActMan just rearranges desktops, it does not change different states at a time.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I think that Tweakr should add the ability to save 2G/3G status and that would be that.

So maybe we go to the Tweakr thread and suggest this.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Please propose a proper brainstorm

this request sounds pretty familiar to me, pls search for similar brainstorms and contribute.

If someone sets up needed dbus-commands and scripts to do this, Queen BeeCon widget would then provide a working GUI for it.

It is just a matter of collecting all CLI commands to set/get all wanted settings to/from system. Because some of the wanted differences between profiles need something else than just setting, like running ifconfig, ifup, and such; Queen Beecon seems like a right swiss army shell to the scripts then.

edit:
Then again, this kind of approach would be suitable only for experts because GUI would be available only for switching different complex profiles. But doing it first with sh-scripts would show how much different things has to be set/get and what commands has to be run.

Last edited by zimon; 2010-04-16 at 14:56.