Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 2,151 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
#91
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Necro time for an "active thread"
Chromium isn't a bad browser on a desktop...
I disagree. Chromium is a bad browser, no matter where.
Why? Because it follows the Google philosophy of being technically open source while at the same time doing everything to lock people out of its code. [1]

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Since the last few years have passed ...one could hope for good alt's by now...
What's fueling your hope? Has the situation I described 3 years ago changed in any way? [2]


[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=787527
[2] https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93962#9
 

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
endsormeans's Avatar
Posts: 2,028 | Thanked: 4,718 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Supa Natural Vancouver Island
#92
"Fueling my hope?"
Believe me ...in regards to that concept ...
I have been around here long enough..
and I have no rebuttal for you at all on that.

I just threw out Chromium as a suggestion..running with a response from the last posted individual...
I could care less if it was Chromium ...
any browser that has the potential to be a better option than what we have existing is perfectly fine with me..

As far as your referencing a 3 year old post as an answer for viable options ...any option at all ...for a browser that will function in todays world ..on our n900's...
A 3 year old post ...
is just that.
a 3 year old post.

I don't know if the situation has changed in the last 3 years ..
has anyone with understanding concerning the issues ...actually revisited the topic of a more current browser alternative since?
Regardless of whether it was Chromium or anything else???
If they have by all means ..point me to the post that is a little more CURRENT than your 3 year old post on the issues and problems of that period of time and pertaining to more inspection than just Chromium as well....

You pointing at a 3 year old post and saying ..
"No one has posted on the topic since ...therefore.. there is no viable option ..No new browser option is available or viable or even has promise since this post ...because it doesn't work on Chromium ..." ...
tells me plenty.
__________________
Lurker since 2007, Member since 2013, Certifiable since 1972
Owner of : 1-n770 (in retirement),
3-n800's,
3-n810's,
5-n900's
-3 flawless
-1 loose usb (i don't muck with it & stress it , considering selling it, another can fix the loose usb)
-1 no telephony (perfect for permanent set-up as mini-pc with one of my monitors)
half a neo900 pre- "bought"....due for production any day now.


PIMP MY N8X0
Everything you need tightly explained in layman's terms ..in an easy to understand format.. and a video walkthrough to boot.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAY
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634

THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PRO
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567

AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Last edited by endsormeans; 2017-09-07 at 23:50.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 629 | Thanked: 583 times | Joined on Jul 2007
#93
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
As far as your referencing a 3 year old post as an answer for viable options ...any option at all ...for a browser that will function in todays world ..on our n900's...
A 3 year old post ...
is just that.
a 3 year old post.

I don't know if the situation has changed in the last 3 years ..
has anyone with understanding concerning the issues ...actually revisited the topic of a more current browser alternative since?
Regardless of whether it was Chromium or anything else???
If they have by all means ..point me to the post that is a little more CURRENT than your 3 year old post on the issues and problems of that period of time and pertaining to more inspection than just Chromium as well....
I agree. Asking should not be a problem. I've wondered the same.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,076 | Thanked: 1,555 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
#94
Does anyone have the .deb for the Chromium build a few years back? It used to be on the repos before it was pulled for some reason.(not that that would even bring us up to date)
The link on the contrib's site is down and never responded to my emails.

We still need to compile a better browser but I assume it will be a mess of backporting libs and stuff, even then at this poing websites are so damn kludged the browser on any platform is up with games for CPU%.

Last edited by biketool; 2017-09-07 at 17:11.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
gerbick's Avatar
Posts: 6,491 | Thanked: 14,143 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ undecided.
#95
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Does anyone have the .deb for the Chromium build a few years back? It used to be on the repos before it was pulled for some reason.(not that that would even bring us up to date)
The link on the contrib's site is down and never responded to my emails.

We still need to compile a better browser but I assume it will be a mess of backporting libs and stuff, even then at this poing websites are so damn kludged the browser on any platform is up with games for CPU%.
Do you mean Tworaz's Quicksilver?
__________________
gerbick | iPhone X [ 256GB iOS 11.2 Beta ] | iPad Pro [ 256GB iOS 11.2 Beta ]
Former Maemo Council Member - 2015
 
Posts: 1,076 | Thanked: 1,555 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
#96
Wow, just did some research, the Chromium build could have been from as early as 2010. Anyways back in Nokia days someone sent a C&D letter to Nokia to take it off of the repos (IMHO in error), but Nokia took it down anyways.
Like the title of the thread says, we need to backport a complete modern browser engine, even then website compatibility is tricker than ever before; worse modern websites make the client browser do most of the formatting work which is CPU and memory intensive. Far worse then 2009 or even 2012.

Last edited by biketool; 2017-09-08 at 05:17.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
#97
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Does anyone have the .deb for the Chromium build a few years back? It used to be on the repos before it was pulled for some reason.(not that that would even bring us up to date)
The link on the contrib's site is down and never responded to my emails.

We still need to compile a better browser but I assume it will be a mess of backporting libs and stuff, even then at this poing websites are so damn kludged the browser on any platform is up with games for CPU%.
You mean the chromium_5.0.369.2-maemo4_armel.deb...? I have that deb file... I can even use tor through that...
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 410 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
#98
Can you provide the file for us?
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
#99
Originally Posted by Macros View Post
Can you provide the file for us?
The deb is way to big to attach here but here is a link; you can find many more things in that rar.
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
endsormeans's Avatar
Posts: 2,028 | Thanked: 4,718 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Supa Natural Vancouver Island
#100
ooooooh!!
X-mas came early.
Thanks justmemory.
Fennec 17 too...
__________________
Lurker since 2007, Member since 2013, Certifiable since 1972
Owner of : 1-n770 (in retirement),
3-n800's,
3-n810's,
5-n900's
-3 flawless
-1 loose usb (i don't muck with it & stress it , considering selling it, another can fix the loose usb)
-1 no telephony (perfect for permanent set-up as mini-pc with one of my monitors)
half a neo900 pre- "bought"....due for production any day now.


PIMP MY N8X0
Everything you need tightly explained in layman's terms ..in an easy to understand format.. and a video walkthrough to boot.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAY
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634

THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PRO
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567

AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325
 
Reply

Tags
maemo 5, microb

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:06.