Active Topics

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Finland
I asked the same on TJC. Does somebody know a smart work around to get position when hiking in Lapland?

GPS location service doesn't work without cell tower ID. If I select Location and Device-only mode and set the phone in flight mode, GPS won't work. I assumed that would take longer to get fix but if flight mode is on, it won't ever get fix.

Is there a work around to get GPS only working?

Intex on version 2.1.0.11

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalomann For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
That's odd, I'd imagine GPS works well without cellular connectivity; only acquiring lock takes a lot longer.

I think your problem is that aeroplane mode shuts down receivers as well as transmitters. Retry your test by leaving phone in normal mode but without simcard.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Finland
Ou Yes. GPS gets the fix when I remove the sim card - even when wlan is off.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalomann For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
That is odd indeed. GPS is receive only and should not be affected by the airplane mode. I would consider it a bug and report it to Jolla.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That is odd indeed. GPS is receive only and should not be affected by the airplane mode. I would consider it a bug and report it to Jolla.
Not completely odd.
Some Airlines still requires you to turn off any radio transmitters AND receivers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Really? Any idea why?
I guess it would have made sense in 1957 when superhets emitted a continuous tone but we are now a few years behind that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Really? Any idea why?
I guess it would have made sense in 1957 when superhets emitted a continuous tone but we are now a few years behind that.
Well the first stage mixer in modern receivers *does* leak out the PLL output, it is fairly low power but still... airlines tend to be fairly paranoid in these things.

Heck, last time I flew they told me I could not take pictures during landing/takeoff with my trusty old canon 10D DSLR!
Lucky I had my even trustier Pentax K1000 manual film SLR with me; when I explained the lady that this camera has no batteries whatsoever and works with springs and levers I was allowed to use it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well the first stage mixer in modern receivers *does* leak out the PLL output
Yes, about as much as a digital watch. Heck, every electronic device has some kind of oscillator and leaks some amount of radio waves. This paranoia is really out of hand.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
llocation, position