Active Topics

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
If you connect usb while holding voldown, fastboot will be availavle?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
lsusb still lists a qualcomm device, it will however not list as a block device - the last thing I hoped for.

There is no more fastboot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoritzJT For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
If you connect usb while holding voldown, fastboot will be availavle?
No, the only way to safe this device is using Qualcomm tools. Ian not sure if even Jolla got those (they are licensed $$$)
Read my answers to this special bootloader mode in other threads.
While the mentioned tool can be found, pirated, we still need certain files and XML partition layout for this.

It's not undoable, but we don't have all the pieces of the puzzle.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by MoritzJT View Post
What kind of Jolla event would that be? I've never been to one. Do sailors themselves have access to the factory images?
I suspect any event where Jolla sends one or more hackers. Only FOSDEM comes to mind right now, but I hope there's some earlier developer/community event before that (like the JollaC one).

Obviously, at least some sailors have access to factory images and flashing tools.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Obviously, at least some sailors have access to factory images and flashing tools.
Interesting , do you know who?

For others, like I said, the SBL(1) is erased/damaged and thus the phone don't know how to boot. Leaving it in this factory mode. Unable to enter fast boot, recovery, or, normal boot.

There is good reference, also how this can be fixed on certain Android devices.

If we can create similar for Jolla phones, yes, it is recoverable , but until then, probably only the factory can recover this.

More info: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2625332

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
I will make a case against being able to modify SBL or partition tables from the phone in general just by being root. There should be one more layer of protection.

I have been through many of the XDA resources along with some android unbrick blogs - they all rely on the provided images. I have yet to see a 'reverse engineered' effort succeed reviving a phone with some frankenstein image.

Citation from a comment I received on the following resource by androidbrick: http://www.androidbrick.com/ultimate...oad_qpst_qfil/

"Thank you so much for the kind words. As to your problem : Qualcomm 9008 port is simply just a “service port” that waits right files from you to wake up the device. Just a commication port, you cant manualy flash anything over it. You need a proper service rom that includes ““rawprogram0.xml”, “patch0.xml”, “prog_emmc_firehose_XXXX.mbn” or “MPRGXXXX.mbn”” in it, without those files your phone cant come back sorry. Those mbn files are a must to turn your bricked phone into EMMC mode again (Qualcomm 9006), so your phone’s EMMC drive will wake and accepts your backed up partititons again from linux or from an other windows based partition software.. So you just need to find those, or nothing can be done, sorry. Greetings."

So for now that means we (I) need to switch from Qualcomm 9008 (service port) to Qualcomm 9006 (emmc mode) requiring:

- rawprogram0.xml
- patch0.xml
- MPRGXXXX.mbn (as at least Jolla C listens to Sahara protocoll, not the supposedly newer Firehose protocol)

And I don't even think that the .mbn file is the actual whole ROM, in our case SFOS but just the part needed to revive the device. Does it include anything that falls under NDA? Who can tell.

That's our situation, judging from the dead Jolla 1 thread.

Last edited by MoritzJT; 2016-08-06 at 11:33.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MoritzJT For This Useful Post:
The mbm files can indeed contain full rom.
But to recover only the SBL is needed.
The xml files can proberly be reconstrocted, proberly also the mbm files, but not without a great deal of effort.

So, yes, as I said, at the moment most likely only the factory have all the pieces to this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by MoritzJT View Post
I will make a case against being able to modify SBL or partition tables from the phone in general just by being root. There should be one more layer of protection.
Being able to do it only as root is the protection, so I am against any "uber-root" hurdles you're proposing.

<rant>
The problem is that people (especially Android users, but many people on TMO as well) don't realize what it means to do stuff as root. With the power comes a great responsibility and regular users should never play with root access.

Yet there's a lot of "yo yo, I just rooted my phone, just because I can" attitude.

Just look at the "SailfishOS pre-pre-release" threads where good amount of users goes through an unnecessary risk and then is surprised when something breaks. There were plans by Jolla last summer to introduce upgrades that would overwrite the system partition so you don't have to hop over updates every time after resetting your phone, but imagine what disaster it would be if they tried to do it and bunch of users went ahead with their

Code:
for i in {1..5}; do version --dup; done # five times to upgrade all packages, because some fail to upgrade at first
routine prematurely...
</rant>

There should be no "just by being root".

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Interesting , do you know who?
Well, rainisto and Stskeeps both mentioned at some point having it.
However, to the best of my knowledge, both have left the company. :/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Just look at the "SailfishOS pre-pre-release" threads where good amount of users goes through an unnecessary risk and then is surprised when something breaks.
I stand corrected and have underestimated a well know effect.

Do you suggest to not even create dedicated posts here on TMO for those topics or how should this be handled ethically correct?

Last edited by mosen; 2016-08-06 at 22:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:

Tags
bricked, flashing, jollac