Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
In theory, yes. In practice, if you rely on services you're gonna need authentication. And some jails are damn hard to break. Such as Playstation 3 and Symbian.
It is like qgil said, with the case of the PS3, the linux mode defused the amount of people interested in hacking the PS3 because of homebrew. Yet the Wii and iPhone have no path and both Apple and Nintendo insist on clamping down which is why it's so prolific.

Meh, maybe you'll be able to dual boot though that (drm free and drm as two different OS) seems like a silly option if you want to be able to use DRM apps alongside apps that won't work in a DRM system. Oh well if this is the case maybe someone will create the darkside of maemo offering drm cracked apps haha.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
The following is entirely guess work: I imagine to switch between the modes will require a reflash. Maybe there will be a dual-boot option. I would expect all your content (including address book) in one mode to not be accessible in the other. If this doesn't require a reflash or dual-boot then I would be very surprised, as anything less that would likely be hackable.
Why would such switch force one to remove non-executable data [such as] address book, or content in general? I don't see the point of that. If you simply only allow execution of signed binaries its fixed. If we assume reflash necessary, while the binaries are on / then why would say /home which is on a separate partition be overwritten? Makes no sense. Don't touch it unless user says so for it is merely readable data; not executable data.

Given you can run this all in a VM (SDK) and there can emulate DRM authentication (you own the hardware and software the SDK runs under) it'll be easier to crack than say Symbian (embedded w/o SDK+VM; is no S60 emulator) or Playstation 3 (expensive BluRay, again no emulator or VM). All what is required is a VM-based rootkit.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Meh, maybe you'll be able to dual boot though
Indeed, there is MicroSD. On Wii thats quite useful too (SD) for homebrew. On PS3 however, you have to resort to BluRay [...]

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
The following is entirely guess work: I imagine to switch between the modes will require a reflash. Maybe there will be a dual-boot option. I would expect all your content (including address book) in one mode to not be accessible in the other.
Can anyone who attended the platform security (...) stream today comment on this?

This would be the worst nightmare come true... If the the change between digitally restricted and free mode requires a complete reflash and/or results in loss of data, DRM-free Harmattan will probably remain theory.

I'd hoped that you could boot into a restricted system (meaning OS restored to unaltered defaults, some applications won't be allowed to run and maybe even some files will not be accessible) or into a free system (hacked kernel OK, but certain files from restricted version unaccessible), with whatever isn't relevant to DRM (like my contacts or images I took) remains unaltered and shared between the 2 variants.
I'm spoiled, I know, but I would expect a Maemo device to let me switch back and forth on the go.

(OTOH: What is it that users as well as developers can't do in restricted mode? What would you want to do that would require DRM-free mode? I need more information before I can go into full DRM-rant-mode here...)

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
You can dualboot. Bootloader protects the kernel. If you boot to non-signer kernel, drm is off (as well as any features that need it).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
You can dualboot. Bootloader protects the kernel. If you boot to non-signer kernel, drm is off (as well as any features that need it).
Thanks for the clarification.

Which Nokia applications are going to utilize DRM?

Will Ovi Maps require DRM?

Will there be additional advantages in DRM_is_on mode, much like on Symbian (signed binaries, capability-based security)?

Originally Posted by range View Post
Although I really don't see why Nokia thinks it must push restricted music - I thought the music industry had learned at least *that* lesson.
Pushing music/content that randomly stops working when the providers shuts off their drm servers (hello Yahoo, MS), or the provider in a Big Brother moment decides you can't have the file (hello Amazon), or you hose your OS and reinstall, etc, is a very user-hostile thing to do... Inexperienced users might get burned by DRM once and lose their files, after that they'll surely stick to piracy...
Not that I condone it, but when the choice is between paying for broken stuff that doesn't work, and not paying for stuff that works, something is wrong...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Pushing music/content that randomly stops working when the providers shuts off their drm servers (hello Yahoo, MS), or the provider in a Big Brother moment decides you can't have the file (hello Amazon), or you hose your OS and reinstall, etc, is a very user-hostile thing to do... Inexperienced users might get burned by DRM once and lose their files, after that they'll surely stick to piracy...
Not that I condone it, but when the choice is between paying for broken stuff that doesn't work, and not paying for stuff that works, something is wrong...
You heard about my problem with tesco, didn't you!?!

No, I haven't resorted to piracy, but that's exactly what happened: tesco randomly decided to redesign their website and wipe my history. No more "If you have a problem, you can just redownload". I will never buy drm again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Even Google did it:

Hello,

As a valued Google user, we're contacting you with some important
information about the videos you've purchased or rented from Google Video.
In an effort to improve all Google services, we will no longer offer the
ability to buy or rent videos for download from Google Video, ending the
DTO/DTR (download-to-own/rent) program. This change will be effective
August 15, 2007.

To fully account for the video purchases you made before July 18, 2007, we
are providing you with a Google Checkout bonus for $20. Your bonus
expires in 60 days, and you can use it at the stores listed here:
google.com/checkout/signupwelc ... The minimum purchase
amount must be equal to or greater than your bonus amount, before shipping
and tax.

After August 15, 2007, you will no longer be able to view your purchased
or rented videos.

If you have further questions or requests, please do not hesitate to
contact us. Thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,

The Google Video Team

Google Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043
"You will no longer be able to view your purchased videos!"

That's why DRM is unethical.

Regards,
Roger

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
HAHAHAHA, I love how Google tries to make it up to you by giving you Google Checkout money back. But then gives it an expiration date of 60 days.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
drm, harmattan, maemo 6, windows