Notices

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys,
Just noticed a Mobile Web Server application in Ovi Store:

http://store.ovi.com/content/55858?c...a=applications

Not available in Australia, but can see it on my browser on the PC.

Anyone tried this out yet? It's a paid app, $1.99.

Cheers,

travla

The Following User Says Thank You to travla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 242 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ UK/Scotland
"Sorry, this item is not available for your country."

Cantonese Pen Power Input is only available in Hong Kong...SUX!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ykho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Holland
the link goe's now where!

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
doesn't work for germany too

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Wouldn't it be dead simple to just get Apache in the repositories, then maybe something like webmin to configure it. Then we could get the 'gallery2' ported and then you'd have the same thing.

We do already have lighthttpd. Probably better than running full-fledged apache, but it makes me wonder what backend this ovi package is using.

slaapliedje

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Does anyone know on what this "MobileWebServer" is based on?

Also, most people have Python installed as a dependency of some app or other.

A web server is a one-liner in Python.

If that's not enough, web2py and its available apps are very powerful and the simplest thing to run on Maemo (see blog in my .sig for more on that).

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I'm sure there are a dozen ways to do this in QT or in python that don't require a full fledged apache or lighthttpd implementation. This kind of code is a common thing to do...look at desktop apps like bittorrent clients and music servers that have built-in web servers for remote access.

Kudos to this author for coming up with something creative like this. I think the need to find your ip address makes this kind of thing a little more difficult to use for many people, but it is an example of the kind of thing that is possible on an open and accessible platform. File upload/download is just the tip of the iceberg of what you could do with this kind of setup. Just about anything the phone can do (initiate calls, access address book, send/recieve sms, camera and sensor access) is possible through a wifi/webserver setup.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Finland
This reminds me Nokia Research Project on symbian some years ago - it used apache and it provided password protected access to phones calendar, sms, camera, addressbook and it had small blogging utility. If I remember correctly it used aliases under mymobilesite.net domain. My phone used to be pekkis.mymobilesite.net

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Pekkis: that sounds a bit like Opera's apps on the desktop browser. Was it actually an apache browser open on the device, or a client app on the phone which checked in with the server and responded to requests routed from there?

This app appears to be a true server--listening for http requests and responding to them. There are lots of reasons why you wouldn't want to do this full-time on a phone: among them battery life and the fact that the phone doesn't appear to be addressable when not on wifi and on the t-mobile network. But for a limited application like making photos (or information) available from the phone, it has some promise.