Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by cheve View Post
@bun: do you have usb-bluetooth dongle? if so, can you test whether the A10 can connect/work with other bluetooth device.

I want to pair it with a bluetooth gps receiver

cheers,
I dont know how to use bluetooth on android. They are weird. I have an android phone that has built-in BT, I can pair device with any BT device, it is always, BT is paired but not turn on. On that android phone, I was able to pair a BTGPS after install an app, but not BT keyboard or BT mouse.

On the A7, I inserted a USB mouse, it worked right away. I inserted a USB keyboard, it worked right away. I inserted a USB finger flash drive, it worked right away. I inserted a USB BT. The BT light is on, but there is nothing on the A7. I dont know how to activate the BT, maybe I need to get into a terminal or adb to turn on the deamon? Where is Kangal ?

I did a adb, and in the folder /etc, there are gps.config and bluetooth. I dont know what/how to dig more.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2012-04-04 at 07:20.

"I know you can get GPS connected once you do have a Bluetooth connection, but you would be losing one USB port."

I have a USB splitter that gives me additional ports. I wonder if that would work.

Originally Posted by ch88xy View Post
"I know you can get GPS connected once you do have a Bluetooth connection, but you would be losing one USB port."

I have a USB splitter that gives me additional ports. I wonder if that would work.
Nope.
This was one of the factors for me for not getting the original Nook.

I'm flattered

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
I ordered one of these last week, and now I get an email from focalprice advertising the Yeahpad 7" for $89.99, which from the specs seems to have more or less the same guts as the Hyundai A7, aside from a smaller battery 2400mAh vs. 3000mAh and smaller internal storage 4GB vs. 8GB. Now I'm thinking I should get this one as well, I can give one to my daughter. This one isn't much of a special offer, only 4%, but still $20 cheaper than the Hyundai.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Omigod... Ice Cream Sandwich running 800x480 on a 7-inch screen??? Are you NUTS??
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
I ordered one of these last week, and now I get an email from focalprice advertising the Yeahpad 7" for $89.99, which from the specs seems to have more or less the same guts as the Hyundai A7, aside from a smaller battery 2400mAh vs. 3000mAh and smaller internal storage 4GB vs. 8GB. Now I'm thinking I should get this one as well, I can give one to my daughter. This one isn't much of a special offer, only 4%, but still $20 cheaper than the Hyundai.
First rule is, never believe the battery capacity (mAh) of craplets (aka Chinese Crap Tablet)...unless confirmed by other source.

Secondly, this thing has a 1GHz Cortex A8 CPU...pretty sure it is a very bad one since they didn't cite the model, or even the company. The more information they say about the SoC the more accurate/better it is.
The Allwinner A10 is the best chip you can currently get on craplets.

4GB is enough for Android itself, but you need a TransFlash/microSD card for anything else (pictures, music, apps, maybe videos).

False Advertising: It doesn't have 3G. You need to purchase a separate dongle. It says it has Android 4.0 but its showing Android 2.3

However it boasts a fullsized HDMI port (so you dont need to carry any converters) and a fullsized USB port. Theoretically, things should work out of the box.

-I'd still recommend the Hyundai simply because its more available, there's a few custom Roms for it, and that it runs ICS.

I presume that in 6-12 months time there will be $99-199 craplets with improved specs, I'm looking for:
-built in BT 2.0
-build in GPS
-better design (lighter 260g, thinner 8mm, less bezel)
-bigger battery (3,500-4,500mAh)
-better displays (regular RGB LCD with 1024x600)
-better performance:
...Dual Cortex A9 (real 0.8GHz/overclocked to 1.2GHz)
...Built on 50nm die, matched with 512MB RAM
...2-core Mali400 (720p performance) or better

But they will still have the same problems:
-external 3G
-Overall poor performance
-ICS 4.0.3 without source/little community development

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
@Kangal, they say its chip is the A10 as well as being a Cortex-A8 CPU, so presumably it is the Allwinner, it does have a TF/SD-slot, so the limited memory isn't a problem and surely ICS doesn't take up anywhere near 4G (does it?) so I'll be able to fit some apps/games on there. From the pictures it looks like the HDMI is the miniHDMI and SD slot is a microSD. And yes I realise that the "3G" is just compatibility with dongles, but that isn't a problem.

As to what you think will happen, I'm not so sure. Looking at past bahaviour of Chinese companies, they may find Allwinner A10 based tablets sell well enough and just keep pumping them out. I got a Dingoo A320 which was and still is a great device for emulation (up to SNES/Megadrive levels and for the GBA too) and (I haven't checked recently) but even after a couple of years they were still pumping them out even with a lower quality screen, and there wasn't much much in the way of improved models (I think there were 1 or 2) and they weren't great improvements. Of course the tablet space might be different, but they are still selling plenty of models with Android 2.2, not even 2.3. Most Chinese companies just churn out the same old crap rebranded, very few innovate (especially at the low end) so there isn't much pressure to improve what they have once they have something successful.

It seems they have stopped the special offer on this device already (only $4, but still) and it was supposed to be a weekend deal. Never mind, I'll just think about it a bit longer, I still want a Note anyway, which would make a 2nd 7" tablet a waste at any price.

@danramos, Is that screen-size/resolution really a problem? I realise it is the same res as the NITs in a larger form factor, but at that price. All I really want is an Android device to run some apps/games.

800x480 is pretty low. Its not difficult, but there's just not much pixels to work with.
And on a 7" screen, it makes things even worse. Apparently the Hyundai A7 lies, has a 768x480 screen, so its even worse.

I would say a 7" tablet needs at minimum a 600p since the screen is the most important aspect of the device, but then again quality doesn't matter as its a budget gadget.

There's a few people claim it has the A10 chip. This is a good chip, what the minimum you should expect for Android. Any cheap Chinese craplet manufacturer I've seen has ALWAYS advertised that it has the chip. NO EXCEPTIONS. Another point is that all Allwinner A10 tablets come with either a 1.2GHz or 1.5GHz advertising, this one only states 1GHz. Another indicator is that all A10 chips are capable of handling 2160p resolution, this one is limited to 1080p, which is half of that (a big difference). I think either this manufacturer is stupid (and wrote the information wrong), or you've been purposely mislead.

Why is it labeled as Android 4.0 ICS ? Have a look at all the pictures, that is not ICS. That is Gingerbread. And there's a mountain of difference between the two, when it comes to usage on tablets, trust me.

The HDMI is fullsized, not micro, which is better for you.
I'll repeat myself, 4GB is enough, but you wont be able to load much/anything on the device. They will have to go on the microSD card, which means even slower performance.

I have just flashed my NOTE back to stock rom without any Apps. Device has a 16GB NAND, the System Storage takes away ~600MB, leaves a Total Space of 11.07GB, and the Available space is 9.12GB. So you can calculate that just Android itself uses roughly 2.46GBs. If your device has 4GB NAND, you should then have only ~2.8GB Available space. Deducting the 2.46GBs......meaning you should have only 100-700MB of storage for your Apps/Pictures/Music/Videos.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Yes, now you mention it that does look like it is running Gingerbread. And if they lie about that, what else are they lying about, so its probably not worth taking a chance on.

As to the HDMI port, compare it to the full sized USB-A port, is it bigger or smaller, now look a normal HDMI port, is that bigger or smaller than a USB-A port, and taking a second look at the TF/SD port it actually looks like it is a mini-sized one, which are just damned annoying because it more or less forces you to use an adapter with it. But thanks for pointing out the dodgyness of the tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
When you're buying Chinese, remember that they are perfectly used to outright lying and making cheap, horrible quality knock-offs. For example, abusing the European quality assurance CE mark with their own very, very similar Chinese Exports CE mark: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark#Misuse

Please, people... if it's from China, keep these things in mind.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, chineseknockoff